Speculation: Burns next contract

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think you'll see one of two things happen with Burns. He either goes with a shorter contract like Byfuglien did (5x7.6m) or a slightly longer one like Seabrook (8x6.87m). If he hits FA, he might get a slight bump on what Byf got, but I doubt it's by much, as he'll be 32 when that contract starts.

They're all the same age (within a month of eachother), but Seabrook and Byf's contract start this year. But I think that's the sort of contract he'll be getting.

Fortunately for San Jose (and unfortunately for the Oilers and their fans), they'll have the money to sign him. Just what they'll likely save with Marleau and Thornton's contracts (either their replacements or if they sign them to new cheaper contracts) will be enough to cover Burn's raise. So while perhaps there's some appeal to go to Edmonton (new arena, McDavid, etc), he's playing in a great location for a team that just went to the cup finals. Sure they lost, but they lost to one of the most dominate teams we've seen in a while. So if I was SJ, I'd be fairly confident in being able to resign him.

the byfuglin deal looks like the one that sets the market for burns... its scary money for either guy as they pass 35. chara was 5 times the better defensive dman and we all watch his offensive game deteriate now

without their offensive dominance, byfuglin and burns will look real ugly at a 7 mill cap hit

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
You have not yet realize the power of the McDavid effect

So has every other player in the league, apparently. :laugh:

That because of the link between player and coach , you know like Lucic and Chia . Don't think we can afford 8 million a year and if that is his asking price a little rich consider our futures RFA .

As for complaining about fans of the Oilers posting that is what HF is for . I guess we should get all bent out of shape when people ask for Draisaitl ? :help:

If you consider my response getting "bent out of shape", it's truly a miracle that you've lasted more a day on HF Boards dot com.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So has every other player in the league, apparently. :laugh:

If you consider my response getting "bent out of shape", it's truly a miracle that you've lasted more a day on HF Boards dot com.

More of a dig at Oilers fans . If your team was bad for 10 years I bet there would be a lot more OP by Shark's fans'

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I guess signing with SJ will depend on whether he really wants to win a cup or not. There would be better options for winning a cup and better options for $ so his signing will largely depend on what is most important to him. Lifestyle or career.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
I was all for trying to acquire Burns at the start of last season but with how successful they were last year I cannot see him not resigning in San Jose. He would have to price himself out of California with them having a terrible season for the Oilers to even have a sniff. Guessing he gets atleast 7.5 aav and that is giving a home discount.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think it more then we can pay unless we move a few guys

Ference 3.25
Yakupov 2.5
Fayne 3.625 so just over 10 million so 8 for Burns and a could of cheap signings like Gryba and Versteeg

I guess it could work .

How like are the Sharks to let him walk is probably the better question .

It's pretty likely seeing how he hasn't signed an extension yet. Definitely hasn't been any rumors of him talking about an extension either.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Lucic and Sekera both left beautiful Los Angeles to come here, is it that absurd?

It's not absurd but Lucic and Sekera were rentals so their situation was different. Burns has a home here with two young kids. Maybe Burns will move for more money (but then why Edmonton as opposed to any other team, plus it sounds like the Oilers don't want to pay top dollar) but, as far as I know, there's no indication that there have even been contract negotiations, much less that they've gone badly.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Lucic and Sekera both left beautiful Los Angeles to come here, is it that absurd?

Sekera got a hefty AAV, long term, and a full NMC for most of the contract. Are the Oilers prepared to shell all of that out for an aging Brent Burns (we're talking 8.5M+, 5 year NMC, 6-7 year deal)?

The Oilers offered a ton more than the Kings did for Lucic. That and playing on McDavid's wing is enticing. Would Burns be playing on McDavid's wing? We saw how poorly he worked as a forward last time...

Also, all of what CrypTic said is true.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
This is the D Edmonton needs to finally have a great D

He's really not; Burns is an offensive powerhouse and an excellent goal scorer but he's not great defensively

IMO you guys need a Vlasic type stalwart shutdown guy; Larsson has potential to be that kind of player but right now he's not close to Vlasic

Unfortunately you won't be getting either from the Sharks, as we desperately need to hang on to both players

Also, your coach would probably put him at RW anyway making this whole thing pointless

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
More of a dig at Oilers fans . If your team was bad for 10 years I bet there would be a lot more OP by Shark's fans'

Stating a fact like "most Burns proposals are started by Oilers fans" shouldn't be considered a dig, but okay.

Also, no, there wouldn't be. Sharks fans almost never start trade threads. I don't think that would change.

He's really not; Burns is an offensive powerhouse and an excellent goal scorer but he's not great defensively

IMO you guys need a Vlasic type stalwart shutdown guy; Larsson has potential to be that kind of player but right now he's not close to Vlasic

Unfortunately you won't be getting either from the Sharks, as we desperately need to hang on to both players

Also, your coach would probably put him at RW anyway making this whole thing pointless

Actually, Burns is exactly what they need. Klefbom and Larsson can fill the Vlasic role. Sekera too to an extent. But the Oilers' offense has been abysmal for years despite their young star forwards because they don't have a defenseman that can move the puck to the forwards and contribute on offense. How would the Sharks look offensively without Burns? Badly, I feel confident. Klefbom-Larsson can be a Vlasic-Braun lite type of pairing, and Sekera can be Martin, but it remains a mediocre at best D-corps until they get someone who can fill Burns' role, even if they aren't really as good as Burns.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Actually, Burns is exactly what they need. Klefbom and Larsson can fill the Vlasic role. Sekera too to an extent. But the Oilers' offense has been abysmal for years despite their young star forwards because they don't have a defenseman that can move the puck to the forwards and contribute on offense. How would the Sharks look offensively without Burns? Badly, I feel confident. Klefbom-Larsson can be a Vlasic-Braun lite type of pairing, and Sekera can be Martin, but it remains a mediocre at best D-corps until they get someone who can fill Burns' role, even if they aren't really as good as Burns.

Exactly. Look at PITs blueline in the playoffs:

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Daley/Lovejoy
Cole - Schultz

Cole and Lovejoy are the only two "defensive" types there. Everyone else is either a combination of both or more geared towards their ability to move the puck effectively - either by skating it out or by passing it.

The name of the game has changed slightly, and the ability to get the puck up the ice fast - especially with centers like McDavid and Draisaitl is extremely important. EDM has a couple guys who can do this, but more in the Maatta/Dumo mold then someone like Letang. They need someone who can be their Letang. Considering their options, Burns might be their best chance to get someone of that nature - if he makes it to FA - which I doubt.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nah, it's always Edmonton with Burns.

Because he would finish the rebuild of our blueline. With Burns, we wouldn't need to mess with anything back there anymore.

#1 - Burns
#2/3 - Klefbom
#2/3 - Larsson
#3/4 - Sekera
#5 with upside - Nurse
#5 with upside - Davidson
Depth with 2nd pair upside - Reinhart

That's why its always Edmonton asking for Burns.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
How did I know this was going to be started by an Oilers fan.

Burns will be like Stamkos, IMO. He'll consider offers from other teams but his ask will be astronomical from them and reasonable for the Sharks.

Honestly, who wants to move their young family to Edmonton from the Bay Area?

Milan Lucic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad