Burns Era, Quinn Era or Babcock Era?

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Not a poll but wondering how this era of Leafs holds up, to me they are a bit of a wash because all seem equally enjoyable so two questions.

Which is your favorite between Burns, Quinn and Babcock?

Which do you think is the best contender between the three?

I understand hindsight is 20/20 but put yourself back in the mindset of following those teams years to year and judge expectations of them.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Burns. That 1993 is one of the best leaf teams I had the pleasure of watching. You had a feeling the Leafs were never out of a game when trailing. Classic defense hockey by a bunch that were pedestrian at best. hockey played like it should for the era.

Reactions: dsred

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Burns. That 1993 is one of the best leaf teams I had the pleasure of watching. You had a feeling the Leafs were never out of a game when trailing. Classic defense hockey by a bunch that were pedestrian at best. hockey played like it should for the era.
People that gloss over Gilmour putting up 127 while winning a Selke, leading the playoffs in points before being eliminated in game 7 of the semis, I think I have to agree that season felt like Leafs were destine.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
Burns era, still love the passion and rage he had going after melrose during the game. You dont see a whole lot of that now

Reactions: kb

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
My goodness the Burns and Dougie Gilmour era was awesome.
Quinn Sundin too.
Matthews Babs could take us over the hump.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
During the Burns era I was only 8 years old in 1993 so I can't remember having any expectations. However when I was a kid Gilmour was my favorite player.

The Quinn era I will remember being optimistic because they had just signed Curtis Joseph and if wasn't for some bad luck against the Sabres or Hurricanes in the 1999 and 2002 Conference Finals, the Leafs should have at least made the Stanley Cup Final during his time as the Leafs coach.

As for Babcock's era so far since he was hired things have gone the Leafs way like winning the draft lottery to get Matthews and signing Tavares. So I hope it turns into a Stanley Cup winning team.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
As much as I think quinn is one of the best... I think babcock may be the best NHL coach of all time

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Babcock era is the best team on paper, but the Burns Leafs was the best team period. 93 & 94 leafs were unreal. Hopefully over the next few years Babs can fix the defensive side of this team.
Quinn era was mostly Joseph stops everything while the forwards grind/piss off the opposition to death. Still loved them though.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The present era with Babs has the longest window and the most talent but we'll never see the passion on the ice we had before .

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Babcock era is the best team on paper, but the Burns Leafs was the best team period. 93 & 94 leafs were unreal. Hopefully over the next few years Babs can fix the defensive side of this team.
Quinn era was mostly Joseph stops everything while the forwards grind/piss off the opposition to death. Still loved them though.
Hate when people called it the Mats era, everything we won was Cujo/Eddy

Miss being able to land high end UFAs each summer with no cap though

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Babcock. Has potential to be something special. Let’s see where it goes.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Burns was the best coach of the 3 but this era is the best because we are peaking with young players. The other two era''s they were all in with vets. We still have a decade of winning ahead of us.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
During the Burns era I was only 8 years old in 1993 so I can't remember having any expectations. However when I was a kid Gilmour was my favorite player.

The Quinn era I will remember being optimistic because they had just signed Curtis Joseph and if wasn't for some bad luck against the Sabres or Hurricanes in the 1999 and 2002 Conference Finals, the Leafs should have at least made the Stanley Cup Final during his time as the Leafs coach.

As for Babcock's era so far since he was hired things have gone the Leafs way like winning the draft lottery to get Matthews and signing Tavares. So I hope it turns into a Stanley Cup winning team.

Wow.

I was a regular watching games at Don Cherrys , D’ah Dugout, Shoeless Joes (I think that’s what it was then) and maybe Gretzky’s during the Leafs and Jays heyday.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Burns was a great get as coach. Solid group of players, obviously Clark, but also Cup winners like Gilmour and Anderson, Andreychuk, the emergence of Potvin, understated D with Ellett, Macoun, Lefebvre, Rouse. Wish they won it all. So close to that Tor-Mtl SCF that can no longer be.

I'd say Quinn's teams were more expected to win, as things progressed. Remember buying at the trade deadline and bringing in Housley and Wesley to bolster the D and bringing back Gilmour. Roberts and Mogilny coming in through free agency. Proven goaltending in Joseph and then Belfour.

Babcock's tenure is ongoing and hopefully nowhere near completion. Building through the draft, as is the way to obtain the likes of a Matthews, Marner and Nylander nowadays. Good trade to bring in Andersen to solidify the goaltending situation. Being a destination for free agents again and acquiring Marleau and Tavares. Hope this group can do what the others unfortunately fell just short of.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Wow.

I was a regular watching games at Don Cherrys , D’ah Dugout, Shoeless Joes (I think that’s what it was then) and maybe Gretzky’s during the Leafs and Jays heyday.
One thing I do remember at least in 1993 was going to Game 1 of the World Series. In fact the place where my Dad worked at the time gave him tickets to Game 7 if it was to be played.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Not a poll but wondering how this era of Leafs holds up, to me they are a bit of a wash because all seem equally enjoyable so two questions.

Which is your favorite between Burns, Quinn and Babcock?

Which do you think is the best contender between the three?

I understand hindsight is 20/20 but put yourself back in the mindset of following those teams years to year and judge expectations of them.

None compare to the Ron Wilson era....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad