Burns Era, Quinn Era or Babcock Era?

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Bruins fan coming here in peace. When Toronto was in the Campbell conference, they were my western team. And I loved that Burns' era team. Those teams were walking swagger. With Quinn coaching, I was more ambivalent. I was so happy when Boston hired Burns; thought he could generate some of the same magic for the Bruins. But Burns Era. That was good hockey. They should have been in the SCF both 93 and 94.

Reactions: BleedsBlueSNRefugee

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
None compare to the Ron Wilson era....

Amazing how we can joke about this dark era in Leafs history only a half dozen years later when people like me were getting shit left right and centre at the time for pointing out how terrible him and Burke were doing with the franchise.

I just find it remarkable how quickly the heroes can become the villains.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
When time stood still, the glory years 81-84:
IMG_0906.JPG

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Amazing how we can joke about this dark era in Leafs history only a half dozen years later when people like me were getting **** left right and centre at the time for pointing out how terrible him and Burke were doing with the franchise.

I just find it remarkable how quickly the heroes can become the villains.

I still don’t get the Burke hate.... could he have done better? Sure.... but all his work was trending upwards since he first came.... the roster he inherited from JFJ/Fletcher was horaweful...

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
This Babcock easily. The Burns era was built mostly on veteran players and it felt very fleeting (it lasted only about 2 and 1/2 good seasons). The Quinn era started out feeling like this but through a series of "win now" trades and signings the team got old fast. This team is still before its prime. This era should last longer than those two combined.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Didn't he also once tell Howard Berger how no one liked him or he was a joke of a reporter?

he did after a game in Montreal, Howard forgot where and who he was, he questioned an in game coaching decision, no reporter should ever do that, that kind of crap belongs to the fans

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
My favorite was burns era. I was a kid then. Filled with hope and dreams. It was a different game back then which makes it difficult to compare. But this group from president down has brought back the kid in me. Filled with hope all over again.

Reactions: connormcmuffin

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
This is the beginning of an era filled with the most talent i've ever seen.

Burns era was a bit of a surprise. The team overrachieved. The Quinn era had high expectations but was never really considered a contender outside of Toronto.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
As of now the Burns era, but the players on this team could change that. Of the coaches, Burns was the best of the 3, Quinn was one of my all time favs, Babcock has 3 things i hate in a coach, egotistic, stubborn and arrogant.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
As of now the Burns era, but this team of players could change that. Of the coaches, Burns was the best of the 3, Quinn was one of my all time favs, Babcock has 3 things i hate in a coach, egotistic, stubborn and arrogant.

It's more of an obsession at this point.

Reactions: therealkoho

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I never saw a team come together and play for each other like that Burns team.

There team unity was off the charts, and it came from Burns, and their level of play was higher than their skill level because of it.

Burns and Quinn will always be the best for me. Babcock still has a ways to go, but he can make his own legacy with talent that Burns and Quinn could only dream of.

It’s a different game now and the players are now a very different breed than they were, but that Burns team was close to a band of brothers than anything I have ever seen before or since, and I give Burns full credit for building that mindset into that group.

They never quit on a game or each other.

Reactions: ToMaLe

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Has there even been a Babcock era yet? Both the Burns and Quinn era teams went to the conference finals *twice*. What matching accomplishment has been achieved in the Babcock era? I mean, sure, we all expect greatness for the next few years but until that happens you can't in any way compare this team to those other two regimes.

Reactions: ToMaLe

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This is the beginning of an era filled with the most talent i've ever seen.

Burns era was a bit of a surprise. The team overrachieved. The Quinn era had high expectations but was never really considered a contender outside of Toronto.

Not sure you can say a team that followed up going to game 7 in the semis with a 10-0 start to the next season "overachieved". They were what they were. And sure, no one outside of Toronto will ever see the Leafs as contenders but barring running into classic Dom Hasek in 1999 and a fractured Sundin ankle in 2002 (and whatever weirdness happened with Cujo's glove hand), Quinn's teams were most certainly knocking on the door. The stars just never aligned.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
In terms of sustained success, it's definitely the Quinn era.

However, I think we are on the verge of the most successful era in decades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->