• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Since 2015-2016, regular season and playoffs:

Burns and Karlsson have 485 points in 535 games; a combined points per game of 0.906.

Matthews and Tavares have 370 points in 405 games; a combined points per game of 0.914

Matthews and Tavares have a 0.008 higher points per game than Burns and Karlsson. The difference in offense between the two groups is microscopic and when you consider that Burns/Karlsson are doing this as defensemen, it isn’t even close.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think dominant centres are more important and dominate more than dominant defenders do. For that reason, I take the Leafs duo.

Karlsson is the best player in the group though and would be my pick for who will have the best season of the four. Guy could go offffffffff this year.

Uh... No m8. Defenseman get much more ice time. Karlsson and Burns will clap their cheeks in this poll.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Matthews is going to be a top 5 in the NHL. Karlsson is a top 5 D in the NHL.
Tavares is a top 10 C in the NHL and Burns is a top 10 D in the NHL.

It's quite close. I went with Matthews-Tavares because of there defence. Karlsson and Burns are litteraly like 4th forwards who rack points on the PP.

If it was Hedman-Doughty then I would go with those two.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Uh... No m8. Defenseman get much more ice time. Karlsson and Burns will clap their cheeks in this poll.

My thought process, too. I think Burns is a distant 4th in this group if you were to consider all these players in isolation, but the Sharks could still theoretically have a top shelf blueline offensive threat on the ice for 60 minutes a game with what they have.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

It's quite close. I went with Matthews-Tavares because of there defence. Karlsson and Burns are litteraly like 4th forwards who rack points on the PP.

Oh my some posts are just so hopeless that trying to debate them would be useless

This is one of those posts

Reactions: dukeofjive

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Tavares top 10..Matthews top 5?what are you going to assassinate the better players to make this opinion true?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Offensively priabably a draw, defensively the defenseman are better at defense. Marthews doesnt PK.

Heck year before last Karksson was second in the league in blocked shots.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Offensively priabably a draw, defensively the defenseman are better at defense. Marthews doesnt PK.

blocking shots isn't good defense. Ceci and Phaneuf blocked more than Karlsson. it just means you're letting the other team take a lot of shots. Also PKing doesn't really mean anything in terms of defensive ability

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You mean the single Calder trophy trophy between Tavares and Matthews doesn't close the gap??

LMFAO. He won (robbed Doughty really) of a trophy that is only available to defensemen.

Yet Tavares was a finalist, top 3, for a trophy open to every player in the league. Twice. Which Karlsson has never done.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
LMFAO. He won (robbed Doughty really) of a trophy that is only available to defensemen.

Yet Tavares was a finalist, top 3, for a trophy open to every player in the league. Twice. Which Karlsson has never done.

So he's failed to win twice, thanks for clarifying - how about breaking 70 points as a forward, something Matthews has never done and both defenseman have. :laugh: that's embarrassing.

Reactions: dukeofjive

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

Quite the contrary. Offensively, the forwards are much better at offense than the dmen. Just because they're on the ice 25 minutes a game, and collect a tonne of assists (lots of secondary assists), doesn't mean they generate as much offense.

And quite frankly, both forwards are better in their own zone.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Quite the contrary. Offensively, the forwards are much better at offense than the dmen. Just because they're on the ice 25 minutes a game, and collect a tonne of assists (lots of secondary assists), doesn't mean they generate as much offense.

And quite frankly, both forwards are better in their own zone.

Lol
Never saw the forwards leading the keague in blocked shots....dont PK...but ok

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
So he's failed to win twice, thanks for clarifying - how about breaking 70 points as a forward, something Matthews has never done and both defenseman have. :laugh: that's embarrassing.
Again, Hart trophy. Best player in the league regardless of position.

Much better than the Norris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad