Burns and Karlsson VS Tavares and Matthews

who will be more dominant this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I wouldnt be surprised if Burns and Karlsson have more total points this season than Matthews and Tavares. I'mnot saying it will happen and the smart money is on Matthews and JT to score more but it still wouldnt surprise me, especially if theres an injury for a chunk of time

Those 2 are the clear top 2 offensive dmen in the league and theyre patrolling the same blue line. We've seen some center combos like Matthews and Tavares, when have 2 offensive d of this calibre play together?

I dont think theyre exactly perfect comparisons but probably the last couple of pairings that had guys this offensively capable on the same pairings were Lidstrom Rafalski and Pronger/Niedermeyer. I dont think Burns Karlsson will be as good as either of those but offensively they might be better

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews and Tavares because until Karlsson signs a long term extension as of right now the Sharks will only have him for 1 year, where as the Leafs have them for the long term future.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think dominant centres are more important and dominate more than dominant defenders do. For that reason, I take the Leafs duo.

Karlsson is the best player in the group though and would be my pick for who will have the best season of the four. Guy could go offffffffff this year.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Kind of hard to compare two different positions.

Karlsson and Burns will have more icetime and could have similar production.

How do you judge in the end? How the team does?

Personally I think it's pretty close.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I dont think theyre exactly perfect comparisons but probably the last couple of pairings that had guys this offensively capable on the same pairings were Lidstrom Rafalski and Pronger/Niedermeyer. I dont think Burns Karlsson will be as good as either of those but offensively they might be better

I doubt you'll see them together regularly. The PP being an exception.

Pronger and Niedermayer didn't really play together either.

Another duo I remember with this kind of offensive skill was Zubov and Leetch.

Reactions: dukeofjive

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I doubt you'll see them together regularly. The PP being an exception.

Pronger and Niedermayer didn't really play together either.

Another duo I remember with this kind of offensive skill was Zubov and Leetch.
Ya I shoulda been more clear, I dont think theyll play together either but said parings for some reason. I meant more as both on the same team. I think youre smarter playing them away from each other everywhere except on the PP.

They have too many similar qualities that both will want the puck at 5 on 5 and it would be a waste of all that talent on one pairing. But for about 95% of San Jose games this year, theyre going to have an Olympic level/Norris level dman on the ice considering VLasic will be out there too.

Its crazy how stacked that blue line is

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You take the franchise centers every time. Burns is probably the worst player out of these 4 due to the fact that he is the most sheltered with mediocre defensive results and although Karlsson is likely the best, we have no idea if last season is his new norm post injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad