Burmi, Ehlers, Petan and Copp Vs Frolik, Stemp, Tlusty and Slater whose better?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Perreaults shot metrics are better than last year. *shrug*

I think playing with Ehlers and Scheif has boosted his shot metrics a lot. Ehlers is a shot producing machine. Scheif seems to have gotten the "Ehlers bump", too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
But how many 4 goal games does he have?

How many "any goal" games does he have? ;)

The PP looks atrocious, and he has made some really questionable plays on it.

His penchant for taking minor penalties is getting to be a real problem, too.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
How many "any goal" games does he have? ;)

The PP looks atrocious, and he has made some really questionable plays on it.

His penchant for taking minor penalties is getting to be a real problem, too.
Granted, he hasnt scored. He has had chances though - he's just missed the net a lot.

The PP is bad, but I definitely don't see him as the issue on the PP. They are struggling to get set up in the zone. Shot volume won't happen without a set up.

I'd call it bad luck with penalties.

I don't see any of what you see and the numbers don't suggest there is really an issue beyond bad luck. He has been the Jets best possession player (better than the players that are carrying him) and he's 4th in scoring - despite poor puck luck.

The top 6 has been very effective this year. There are many other very visible flaws. I don't understand - nit picking the supposed weak components of the two effective lines.

Among forwards, it is very clearly the bottom 6 that has been problematic. These are the positions that most easily could have and should have been addressed.

The top 6 as a whole has heen fine.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Granted, he hasnt scored. He has had chances though - he's just missed the net a lot.

The PP is bad, but I definitely don't see him as the issue on the PP. They are struggling to get set up in the zone. Shot volume won't happen without a set up.

I'd call it bad luck with penalties.

I don't see any of what you see and the numbers don't suggest there is really an issue beyond bad luck. He has been the Jets best possession player (better than the players that are carrying him) and he's 4th in scoring - despite poor puck luck.

The top 6 has been very effective this year. There are many other very visible flaws. I don't understand - nit picking the supposed weak components of the two effective lines.

Among forwards, it is very clearly the bottom 6 that has been problematic. These are the positions that most easily could have and should have been addressed.

The top 6 as a whole has heen fine.

I think the 3rd line has been the biggest problem up front this year, but the D has been more of a problem. Lowry has been particularly bad, and is a bad linemate for Stafford (neither are quick).

Still, I think that Perreault has been below par. He's not as much of a problem as Ladd, but still not as good as he was last year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think the 3rd line has been the biggest problem up front this year, but the D has been more of a problem. Lowry has been particularly bad, and is a bad linemate for Stafford (neither are quick).

Still, I think that Perreault has been below par. He's not as much of a problem as Ladd, but still not as good as he was last year.

Didn't Matty P get off to a really slow start last year though? Perhaps my mind is failing me but I seem to recall he was equally snake bitten in the first Quarter of 2014-15?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They were the top possession team in the league down the stretch last year. This is the single greatest predictor of future success. They had made meaningful progress and they were most definitely a contender.

Losing 4 close games didn't change any of that.

They were a rock solid team with real depth and young payers pushing. They gave that up for mediocrity. No chance Chicago would have done the same. They would have kept the depth and made the youth prove that they should stay - just as they have done and continue to do.

They may have been a top possession team for a brief stretch but over the last 5 years they have been, 12th, 21st, 16th, 8th, and are now 10th. Pretty much middle of the road. The "real depth" we lost is a fraction of what a real contender like Chicago can afford to shed yearly. The Jets are a bubble team with significant holes. We rode some hot goaltending last season for a brief playoff appearance. That's about the extent of it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
They may have been a top possession team for a brief stretch but over the last 5 years they have been, 12th, 21st, 16th, 8th, and are now 10th. Pretty much middle of the road. The "real depth" we lost is a fraction of what a real contender like Chicago can afford to shed yearly. The Jets are a bubble team with significant holes. We rode some hot goaltending last season for a brief playoff appearance. That's about the extent of it.

The brief stretch was half of the season. It was significant, and really not too dissimilar to the run of the first King's team. The depth was real, the goaltending was obviously hot, but they rode elite 5 on 5 play more so than thet rode luck and percentages.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The brief stretch was half of the season. It was significant, and really not too dissimilar to the run of the first King's team. The depth was real, the goaltending was obviously hot, but they rode elite 5 on 5 play more so than thet rode luck and percentages.

The Kings had Kopitar a selke nominee and Doughty who logged some huuge minutes in their run not to mention Quick got hot at the right time. If you are relying on a Cinderella run to win a cup you're doing it wrong and even then the Kings had a far better supporting cast then we ever had to go along with their stars.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

And we were right with the Ducks in the playoff losses - tight games. I think we carried a lead into the third period on a couple or three games. They were the best in the west, remember.

Our goaltender just didn't make the big stop we needed. He finished as the worst or second worst playoff keeper based upon sv% IIRC. That's the difference in the playoffs when you have two similar teams.

We were a very good team. Chevy did a good job putting that team together last year.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
We have Chris Thorburn in a top 9 role and no one to challenge Peluso's spot. Remind me why we didn't sign Stempniak (15pts in 18 games btw) and Tlusty again?

Last edited by a moderator:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We have Chris Thorburn in a top 9 role and no one to challenge Peluso's spot. Remind me why we didn't sign Stempniak (15pts in 18 games btw) and Tlusty again?

Peluso is scoring at a greater pace then stemp 5-5. 2.07 P/60 for Peluso compared to 1.99 P/60 for Stemp. Maybe we should give him some PP time to match all Stemp's PP points :sarcasm:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
And we were right with the Ducks in the playoff losses - tight games. I think we carried a lead into the third period on a couple or three games.

IIRC the Jets were the first team in NHL history to lose three games in which they carried a lead into the third period, in one playoff series. They enshrined themselves as historic chokers.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Ehlers being in the first option makes it real close.

I am leaning a little more towards the second option though. Expecially with no more Petan. More bottom 6 depth, secondary scoring in that one.

The first option is the best for the future though. Second is best for a run this season.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Ehlers being in the first option makes it real close.

I am leaning a little more towards the second option though. Expecially with no more Petan. More bottom 6 depth, secondary scoring in that one.

The first option is the best for the future though. Second is best for a run this season.

Losing Frolik hurts. I read that his P/60 is like 14th in the league. Seems like a good deal for 4.3 million/year or whatever it was. Guy can produce.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Didn't Matty P get off to a really slow start last year though? Perhaps my mind is failing me but I seem to recall he was equally snake bitten in the first Quarter of 2014-15?

Now that I think about it, you are correct PS. He started off slow and then was on fire the rest of the year.

...I think. :laugh:

EDIT: Yeh just checked. He had only 3 points till Nov. 18th. After that he started producing and then when December started he absolutely lit it up. Had an 8 game point streak.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
IIRC the Jets were the first team in NHL history to lose three games in which they carried a lead into the third period, in one playoff series. They enshrined themselves as historic chokers.

Goes back to the balance of my quoted post. We didn't get the stop we needed. Our keeper had the worst save % in the playoffs when we got knocked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad