Sportsnet: Burke says outscoring your opponent is "Beer League" really likes Campbell/Clifford trade.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Burke had a pile of garbage to work with when he was hired, Dubas on the other hand inherited the best roster any Leafs GM has ever started with. Dubas probably has more long term potential, but my money would be on the Leafs being better this season if Burke had been the GM the last year and a half.

Reactions: The CyNick

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So what are you then?

1.Hate the philosophy/love the trade
2.Hate the trade/love the philosophy
2.Hate Burke for his trades/love the philosophy/hate the trade

?
Nothing that extreme.

I thought he gave away too much in those trades, and was not greatly impressed by either player's all round game.

I've never been a fan of Burke, and I find that he is very much a person who does and says what he thinks is right for the moment. This is one example.

Having played goal and defence all my life, and been a goalie and defence coach for a number of years, I don't think 'outscoring them' is the only way. At the same time, you can't win every game 0-0. :sarcasm:

As for 'beer league' just being offence, when our league closed down a couple of weeks ago, the average number of goals per game (both teams combined) was just under 5.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The same guy who drafted Biggs and Purcey in the same draft. And traded for Kessel and were still paying some of his salary?

His name is on the Cup.

You can find mistakes from literally every GM in NHL history.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Burke had a pile of garbage to work with when he was hired, Dubas on the other hand inherited the best roster any Leafs GM has ever started with. Dubas probably has more long term potential, but my money would be on the Leafs being better this season if Burke had been the GM the last year and a half.

Dubas not only had way more to work with, he's also done more long term damage than any GM in recent Leafs history.

Reactions: Dave92

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
When Burke was hired he said the team needed to retool and restock the cupboards and then proceeded to draft all goons with no skill or hockey IQ.

Reactions: Menzinger

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Dubas was gifted a team with an elite core just about ready to step into the top tier of teams
Wrong. Dubas was gifted a core of young players. A lot of excellent gifted players came into the league, having been dominating their career offensively to finally
come to rest in a league where their peers were finally their equals. Guys like Komarov and Hyman, they fought their way into the league the hard way. Players like
Matthews, Nylander, and Marner did not. Simply put, the Leafs 'elite core', is still learning two-way hockey.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
traded for skill ... kessel,jvr
I was talking about the draft. At the time we needed to rebuild. Outside of his first round picks that were in the top 10, his draft results were horrible. He drafted guys like Biggs, Devane and Broll and other guys whose ceilings were bottom 6ers when we needed to draft guys with higher ceilings.

Instead we traded a 2 1st rounders and a 2nd that were bound to be high picks for Kessel and tried to do a bunch of other quick fixes. Those quick fixes hindered our chances of getting top 5 picks and building properly. Instead We continued in mediocrity till Shanny came on board and convinced the owners we need to blow it up and rebuild properly. Shanny has drafted for high end skill and so far we have been getting NHLers and guys with potential to make it out of almost every round.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I was talking about the draft. At the time we needed to rebuild. Outside of his first round picks that were in the top 10, his draft results were horrible. He drafted guys like Biggs, Devane and Broll and other guys whose ceilings were bottom 6ers when we needed to draft guys with higher ceilings.

Instead we traded a 2 1st rounders and a 2nd that were bound to be high picks for Kessel and tried to do a bunch of other quick fixes. Those quick fixes hindered our chances of getting top 5 picks and building properly. Instead We continued in mediocrity till Shanny came on board and convinced the owners we need to blow it up and rebuild properly. Shanny has drafted for high end skill and so far we have been getting NHLers and guys with potential to make it out of almost every round.
looked like he traded for skill and drafted for size and grit at the time, i dont think he was allowed to rebuild, just retool

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Brett Lebdas name is on the cup

Burkes tenure as GM of the Leafs was a complete dumpster fire.

Brett Lebdas name is on the cup

Burkes tenure as GM of the Leafs was a complete dumpster fire.

I don't agree with your comparison of Brett's contribution to the Wings Cup win and Burke's contribution to the Ducks Cup win. But carry on with your narrative.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Dubas was gifted a team with an elite core just about ready to step into the top tier of teams

And that elite core is not only intact but has been added to.

Your impatience and inability to factor in this year's cap constraints don't put the Leafs in a worse position long term.

Reactions: kb

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Biggs,Devane, Broll

I don't blame the Biggs outcome on the draft pick. I think something went sideways behind the scenes developmentally. The decision to switch to the OHL and bully kids rather than staying in school and focusing on developing offence was strange, as was his minor league fall from grace when he was essentially an NHL ready 4th line player at 20.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Biggs,Devane, Broll

Those are only 3 players! Biggs was not a goon!

Broll was drafted in the 6th round! What kind of player are you going to find 152nd overall?

You don't have to agree with Burke, but we are not really here to debate how Burke drafted 9 years ago. We are talking about the current team, the way it's been constructed, and the Clifford/Campbell trade.

Things always come full circle. Dubas (our current GM) can do no wrong. Ironically when Burke was GM there were a large faction of fans that defended his roster contruction and every move he made.

:lol::biglaugh::clap:

Reactions: hotpaws

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Burke
GM Whalers 1992-1993
GM Canucks 1998–2004
GM Mighty Ducks 2005–08 (lost in round 3 2005-2006 - Cup in 2006-2007 - lost in round 1 2007-2008, )

Scott Niedermayer joined team in 2005-2006 (play with brother)
Pronger traded for 2006-2007
JS Giguere had won Conn Smythe in 2002-2003
Perry and Getzlaf drafted 2003
Selanne scored 48 goals in the Cup Season

Burke has won as many Cups a Chiarelli and Feaster amongst others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad