Sportsnet: Burke says outscoring your opponent is "Beer League" really likes Campbell/Clifford trade.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I missed this before. This was said on Tim and Sid (SNET) in early Feb. I thought it was pretty interesting because Dubas' top heavy team construction has proven to be a team of inconsistant play. Who knows whether TOR would have actually made the playoffs. Now before you rip Burke a new one, just remember that his GM resume goes way beyond his few years in TOR.

55 seconds into the video.

Reactions: The Iceman

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I missed this before. This was said on Tim and Sid (SNET) in early Feb. I thought it was pretty interesting because Dubas' top heavy team construction has proven to be a team of inconsistant play. Who knows whether TOR would have actually made the playoffs. Now before you rip Burke a new one, just remember that his GM resume goes way beyond his few years in TOR.

This doesn't even make any sense.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Well at no point did Burke say that's Dubas' philosophy, seemed more like a general observation of the team's play. Blatantly false title, but I guess things are slow.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Lets be blunt. Burke is a professional Leaf critic. It's his goal to be talked about and to do this he must say controversial things. He's worked his way out of the league and would love to have Dubas's job so he is certainly not an objective voice.

We know his model is controversial and it may not work so just because some has been is saying the same thing does not make it more interesting.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lets be blunt. Burke is a professional Leaf critic. It's his goal to be talked about and to do this he must say controversial things. He's worked his way out of the league and would love to have Dubas's job so he is certainly not an objective voice.

We know his model is controversial and it may not work so just because some has been is saying the same thing does not make it more interesting.
His view may be dated but I don’t believe he ‘worked his way out of the league’

Reactions: Rielly4

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Just so we're all clear, the video has nothing to do with Dubas' philosophy

Not spelling it out, but we are sophisticated people who can read between the lines.

It seems to me that last year and early in this season it was Dubas' Philosophy when it worked. It was not Dubas' Philosophy when it resulted in ugly losses and inconsistent play.

When you build a team like Dubas in the manner in which he does it you can bet he is following a particular philosophy.

Reactions: hotpaws

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

4:00 mark is for you. Your comprehensions are getting better though. You are up to two words now ;). Lol just joking of course

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Ah yes, no team has ever won a game by outscoring their opponents.

Game winners are in fact determined by the truculent detector
im pretty sure he is looking at the big picture and talking about winning the Cup and not really games, he mentions you cant win in the playoffs with that strategy

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
im pretty sure he is looking at the big picture and talking about winning the Cup and not really games, he mentions you cant win in the playoffs with that strategy

I get that, I just think hes anblowhard who makes silly statements too often.

I think theres value in suggesting that teams can and should have a diversity of player types- and that grinders and physical players can definitely be good to have

At the same time, the idea that high powered offense cant drive playoff success is also false considering what the Pens and Hawks have done in the past decade. Not every team has to play like the Bruins or Kings to win a cup imo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think Dubas does deserve criticism for his inability to build a team that can play well defensively and his failure to get his young stars signed to good contracts. He lucked into a great situation in Toronto. Marner, Nylander, Rielly and Kadri had already been drafted. Then he won the draft lottery and John Tavares chose to come home. That’s all luck.

Are ya bragging or complaining:)

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
I get what he's saying it's indicative of lack of structure which isn't a shock with the leafs young offensive minded core.

They will balance out with maturity and experience imo

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
I get that, I just think hes anblowhard who makes silly statements too often.

I think theres value in suggesting that teams can and should have a diversity of player types- and that grinders and physical players can definitely be good to have

At the same time, the idea that high powered offense cant drive playoff success is also false considering what the Pens and Hawks have done in the past decade. Not every team has to play like the Bruins or Kings to win a cup imo

Pittsburgh has always played a balanced, hard and tough brand of hockey.

Where you got the idea they're anywhere as soft as the Leafs is beyond me.

I was front row for a game where Crosby got a hat-trick on free hat night and Godard was chasing Brashear around all night.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Pittsburgh has always played a balanced, hard and tough brand of hockey.

Where you got the idea they're anywhere as soft as the Leafs is beyond me.

I was front row for a game where Crosby got a hat-trick on free hat night and Godard was chasing Brashear around all night.

The last two Pens cups were driven by their offense (based around 3-4 guys) and red hot goaltending. There wasnt anything particulalry balanced about them in any way from a team building strucutre

Their players work hard and are mentally focused - id agree the Leafs guys can learn a lot from them. But the Pens guys also had a lot more years to develop that identify than guys just coming off their ELCs

Reactions: LeafChief

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
The last two Pens cups were driven by their offense (based around 3-4 guys) and red hot goaltending. There wasnt anything particulalry balanced about them in any way from a team building strucutre

Their players work hard and are mentally focused - id agree the Leafs guys can learn a lot from them. But the Pens guys also had a lot more years to develop that identify than guys just coming off their ELCs

Crosby won a Cup in his 4th year (where Matthews is right now) with the support of extremely well-rounded players like Jordan Staal, Talbot, Dupuis, Cooke, Kunitz, Orpik, etc.

Pretending the Pens teams have been as soft as the Leafs may be something you want to do as a Dubas supporter but the evidence is quite clear for everyone else to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad