Burke named President of Hockey Operations for Calgary Flames (MOD warning post 149)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Dont be shocked if Cody Franson is a Flame by training camp.

No. BB will recreate history by trading two 1sts and a 2nd for disgruntled young star Nazem Kadri. How much better was PK than Kadri when they dealt for him? More proven IMO, but not really better. The logic is sort of the same, but the expectations for the Leafs back then were somewhat higher than the Flames this year.

I don't think even he would have the stones to roll those dice again. He will be good for Calgary though and may make them more likely to deal with the Leafs. He is a "big deal" guy.

Last edited:

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
I wasn't a fan of Burke in Toronto at all. Just too much of him all the time, and his being tied to Wilson just made him insufferable for so long that the Leafs needed to dump both of them. But this "Burke's gotta be the boss" thing doesn't ring true. As much as he likes the spotlight when the cameras are on, he's gotta be a good team player when it comes to the real work of running a team. Otherwise, no way would he have been able to hire and work with so many top people over his entire career. I think Burke would be a great guy to work with and to work for. He takes the heat, protects his guys, and has real loyalty to his friends and coworkers. I don't think Media Burke is the real guy. Behind the scenes, Burke strikes me as being pretty classy.

Great hire for the Flames. I don't think Burke will run Feaster away at all. Feaster may well have to go at some point, but that'll be because of his own mistakes, not because Burke had to be the one and only.

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
He's extremely classy and one of the most down to earth guys ever, if you ever get a chance to talk to him

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
At what phase of his rebuild strategy were those pieces added? Exactly...long after he added some grit. If he adds a middle aged 5'10'' puck mover right off the hop after identifying a need for bigger, tougher players I doubt I'm going to be the only one who is surprised.

They were there when he got canned.....and we were soft as butter...he sent Orr to the minors...

ForSpareParts*

I actually have new respect for the Flames. Burke will show the Oilers:

A) Size/Toughness
B) How to build a team not using the "Pittsburgh Model"
C) How to say good things about the fans (unlike Lowe)
D) Make bold moves (unlike MacTavish)
E) Not throw players under the bus (MacTavish again)

Good luck Burkie!!

Last edited by a moderator:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Burke would not trade for Dion this season, he probably hopes he becomes a FA. I mean, Calgary is a bottom team with out a captain lead by the likes of Stajan and Stempniak, no way he would trade... oh wait.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wilson sent Orr to the minors. The coach decides the roster. Same as Carlyle sent Connolly to the minors.

Only GMs can make those kinds of NHL transactions of demoting or promoting players as a coach can only put players in the pressbox he doesn't want to play.

Burke sent Orr to the minors and even called a press conference (remember the rats running the league comment).

Nonis sent Connolly to the AHL under the similar premiss of Carlyle claiming he has no use for this player.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Only GMs can make those kinds of NHL transactions of demoting or promoting players as a coach can only put players in the pressbox he doesn't want to play.

Burke sent Orr to the minors and even called a press conference (remember the rats running the league comment).

Nonis sent Connolly to the AHL under the similar premiss of Carlyle claiming he has no use for this player.

If Wilson had him in the line up, he wouldn't demoted. Burke may have made the transaction, but Wilson made the decision. I'm not sure what relevance Burke's press conference has.

I find it curious that this concept is lost on you - GM provides the coach with a roster the coach decides line up made up of players from said roster.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Burke hiring in Calgary is a good thing as now it provides Nonis an avenue to trade Kessel for a strong return, if he can't get him re-signed. Kessel would likely agree to a contract with Burke in Calgary making him more then a rental player. So trading partners here has put Flames at the top of the list as potential destinations.

Burke said yesterday "that he would make the Kessel deal again today" .. That means that 2 X high first and 2nd are a potential return for the Leafs in trade.

Flames are at the bottom of the league much like the Leafs were when Burke arrived in TO, so the draft pick return positioning could be relatively close to the picks Leafs surrendered for Kessel originally.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Never liked Burke as GM of the Leafs, but I liked him as a hockey guy. The league is better off with him involved.

And Calgary suits his style much better than Toronto. My main gripe with Burke was that he ran the Maple Leafs like they were a small market franchise, refusing to spend money, and even refusing to advocate for the interests of MLSE and Toronto sports fans during CBA talks.

Toronto has power (money) and they should flex that power at every opportunity in order to gain an advantage over the league's weaker sisters. Burke seemed to be averse to that idea, looking out for the league's interests ahead of the Maple Leafs. That was not acceptable as far as I am concerned, and think that should have (and believe it did) factor into the decision to fire him.

hockeyfanz*

I actually have new respect for the Flames. Burke will show the Oilers:

A) Size/Toughness
B) How to build a team not using the "Pittsburgh Model"
C) How to say good things about the fans (unlike Lowe)
D) Make bold moves (unlike MacTavish)
E) Not throw players under the bus (MacTavish again)

Good luck Burkie!!

1.) Burke will talk a lot about size and toughness and ice a soft team
2.) Pittsburgh model? Another famous quote from the blowhard.
3.) How to say good things about the fans? Hahahahaha like when he was in Toronto you mean? "I don't give a rats ass with what the media/public thinks, we don't run this team by commitee" (paraphrasing)
4.) Make Bold Moves..yes whether they be good or bad he certainly does make bold moves.
5.) Throwing players under the bus? I think he may have done that with Kadri on a couple of occasions but generally speaking he does not practice this. Any decent GM wouldn't. His #1 "star" on the other hand was infamous for throwing players under the bus. Was his specialty (RW). What a surprise that the 600W coach didn't get another job. Of course he will probably land in Calgary with his college buddy.

The circus show moves to Calgary. The Ringmaster is in town. I wonder if that barn battle between Lowe and God finally happens. Pay-per-view.LOL.

Apr 1, 2010
I wish Burke well.

He should have been here to see his team achieve the first goal he had set out of making the playoffs. Witness the toughest team in the League, that was his model.

Basically everyone that hates him for being a blowhard, ignores that the team met most of the goals he set out for this organization when he arrived. Unfortunately he was unjustly fired by a bigger ******* than he is.

We should be discussing Burke's extension in TOR not, his new deal in CGY.

I hope he helps make CGY relevant again.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Wilson sent Orr to the minors. The coach decides the roster. Same as Carlyle sent Connolly to the minors.

The GM sets the tone for the type of team he wants....as he is the boss.

Burke made that stupid press conference when he said that there was no longer a place for players like Orr....seems that he was wrong!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah he talked about this when he was introduce as the Leafs GM....and that did not stop him from trading for Liles ...as well as all the other soft players. Connelly, Lambo etc

He built for Ron Wilson, those are players in theory that would succeed under RW system. We literally blew up the team for RW.

Brian Burke is a damn good GM, Nonis is not just a Carlyle is a good coach and Ron Wilson is not.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Congratulations Burkie! Well deserved. No one who pays attention thought you'd be long landing on your feet. Here's hoping the Calgary organization has more sense than the Leaf one.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

Never liked Burke as GM of the Leafs, but I liked him as a hockey guy. The league is better off with him involved.

And Calgary suits his style much better than Toronto. My main gripe with Burke was that he ran the Maple Leafs like they were a small market franchise, refusing to spend money, and even refusing to advocate for the interests of MLSE and Toronto sports fans during CBA talks.

Toronto has power (money) and they should flex that power at every opportunity in order to gain an advantage over the league's weaker sisters. Burke seemed to be averse to that idea, looking out for the league's interests ahead of the Maple Leafs. That was not acceptable as far as I am concerned, and think that should have (and believe it did) factor into the decision to fire him.

I agree with that. The Leafs should have claimed any advantage they could and leveraged it. He didn't seem to want to do that.

For a GM here the team's needs are more important than making a fair league that will allow the Florida Panthers to be competitive

spades0faces

Jun 19, 2013
Could Brian Burke Do This To Toronto?

Now as a Leafs fan all my life, i would be actually devestated to see this happen...

As you know, Brian Burke drafted Kadri, always loved him. And now you know Burke just got hired as president of H.O in Calgary... do you see a scenario where Burke convinces Feaster to send an offer sheet to Toronto for that 5.5 million. (Do to Toronto, what Edmonton did to Anaheim for Dustin Penner).

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Now as a Leafs fan all my life, i would be actually devestated to see this happen...

As you know, Brian Burke drafted Kadri, always loved him. And now you know Burke just got hired as president of H.O in Calgary... do you see a scenario where Burke convinces Feaster to send an offer sheet to Toronto for that 5.5 million. (Do to Toronto, what Edmonton did to Anaheim for Dustin Penner).

lol

A few things,

1) Burke is not the GM for Calgary

2) Burke clearly has shown his disdain for offer sheets.

There is no way Burke will advise anyone in Calgary to do offer sheets.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Either way Calgary's first rounder is prettt good compensation for Kadri. Atleast top 5.

Kadri, a 22 year-old point-per-game centre, is worth more than a top 5 pick.

You only hope that your pick turns out to be as good as Kadri.

Here are picks #3-5 over the past few years:

2004: Cam Barker, Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler
2005: Jack Johnson, Benoit Pouliot, Carey Price
2006: Jonathan Toews, Nicklas Backstrom, Phil Kessel
2007: Kyle Turris, Thomas Hickey, Karl Alzner
2008: Zach Bogosian, Alex Pietrangelo, Luke Schenn

Out of those 15 players, you'd only clearly trade 4 of for Kadri: Price, Toews, Backstrom & Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad