Burke created this team, and Nonis is destroying it

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
making the playoffs last year also made Carlyle a top coach, made every clearly wrongheaded decision justifiable based on the fact that it suited Carlyle's preference, Carlyle the winning coach. why would you want good players that don't agree with the winning coach's winning system?

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The team Burke left Nonis finished 26th but then finished 10th and almost beat Boston in the spring. The exact same team, Burke's team. There was every reason to think that this team had finally turned the corner and would get better.

Then Nonis cut Grabo, signed Clarkson etc. and the results are there for all to see.

This team is but a shadow of the team that took Boston to game 7.

There's no question that losing Grabo and bringing in Clarkson has been the biggest issue with the team this year.

For anyone who thought that Grabo didn't contribute much last year, you must admit that he was leaps and bounds better than Clarkson.

David Clarkson has played no better than a regular 4th line player. Let that sink in. He has not made one game-breaking play. Not one impactful moment that has contributed to a win for this team.

He has been useless. Say what you will about Grabovski, but he was a useful player. Tons better on both ends of the ice than this idiot that Nonis signed for over $37m.

And for anyone who wants to pipe in with the "Clarkson was not brought here to score goals" argument:

Dave Nonis didn't sign him to be on pace for less than 10 goals. He may not have expected 30, but he was definitely expecting 20, and that's why Clarkson got so much money.

I say package Reimer (guaranteed to walk as a UFA) and Clarkson to the Oilers and hope they give us a backup goalie and a bag of hockey pucks for taking on that putrid contract.

What a joke!

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The team Burke left Nonis finished 26th but then finished 10th and almost beat Boston in the spring. The exact same team, Burke's team. There was every reason to think that this team had finally turned the corner and would get better.

Then Nonis cut Grabo, signed Clarkson etc. and the results are there for all to see.

If you took a look at the roster Burke left and the one that started the following season you'll see it was far from the exact same roster . But hey why let reality get in the way of your fantasy .

Like I said , Grabo/Mac had sub par seasons and had very little to do with last years miniscule success .

The core of this team is still the same one that took Bos to 7 games and has proven again it is flawed and unable to lead us anywhere .

Bukre and his quickie retool set this team down a path to no where and Nonis unfortunately has continued down this same road . No competent GM builds a team from the wingers in and Burke diminished our chances to build a cup contending team by trading 2 first at the start of a rebuild .

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
There's no question that losing Grabo and bringing in Clarkson has been the biggest issue with the team this year.

For anyone who thought that Grabo didn't contribute much last year, you must admit that he was leaps and bounds better than Clarkson.

David Clarkson has played no better than a regular 4th line player. Let that sink in. He has not made one game-breaking play. Not one impactful moment that has contributed to a win for this team.

He has been useless. Say what you will about Grabovski, but he was a useful player. Tons better on both ends of the ice than this idiot that Nonis signed for over $37m.

And for anyone who wants to pipe in with the "Clarkson was not brought here to score goals" argument:

Dave Nonis didn't sign him to be on pace for less than 10 goals. He may not have expected 30, but he was definitely expecting 20, and that's why Clarkson got so much money.

I say package Reimer (guaranteed to walk as a UFA) and Clarkson to the Oilers and hope they give us a backup goalie and a bag of hockey pucks for taking on that putrid contract.

What a joke!

Bolland was brought in to replace Grabo and was an upgrade in the role Grabo was asked to play . You can say Clarkson was brought in to replace Mac and while he's been a failure it's hardly the only reason this team is struggling right now .

hockeyfanz*

I said it before and I will say it again..last years playoffs against the Bruins was a fluke...I got chastized because I said the Bruins were asleep in that series and afterwards the Bruins steamrolled a couple of teams to get to the final. They were not on top of their game or they would have bounced the Leafs in 5. Without a doubt.

The team was a fluke. In a shortened season against an underperforming team. The real Leafs are what you see now and its still Burke's team. Adding Bolland/Raymond and Bernier only made this team better...Clarkson? Big mistake but hardly the the problem with this leadership-less..heartless and over rated cast of characters. Any idiot can see that Dion is not really leading this team anywhere. Any idiot of course except for the ones who want Phaneuf as captain for the next 8 years. When that contract gets inked...I am officially done following these losers. Somebody..somewhere wake the F up and make some smart hockey decisions. Jeezus..

DaveT83*

I said it before and I will say it again..last years playoffs against the Bruins was a fluke...I got chastized because I said the Bruins were asleep in that series and afterwards the Bruins steamrolled a couple of teams to get to the final. They were not on top of their game or they would have bounced the Leafs in 5. Without a doubt.

The team was a fluke. In a shortened season against an underperforming team. The real Leafs are what you see now and its still Burke's team. Adding Bolland/Raymond and Bernier only made this team better...Clarkson? Big mistake but hardly the the problem with this leadership-less..heartless and over rated cast of characters. Any idiot can see that Dion is not really leading this team anywhere. Any idiot of course except for the ones who want Phaneuf as captain for the next 8 years. When that contract gets inked...I am officially done following these losers. Somebody..somewhere wake the F up and make some smart hockey decisions. Jeezus..

I wouldn't worry so much about Dion being signed. What you have to worry about are the limitations to his contract. If he is given a NTC - or anything that limits managements ability to move him I'll join you and be done.

The smartest thing this franchise can do right now is sign Dion to a healthy cap hit+term and immediately trade him to the highest bidder. Nobody is giving up much for him as a rental - nor would it be wise to let him walk via free agency receiving no compensation in return.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you took a look at the roster Burke left and the one that started the following season you'll see it was far from the exact same roster . But hey why let reality get in the way of your fantasy .

Like I said , Grabo/Mac had sub par seasons and had very little to do with last years miniscule success .

The core of this team is still the same one that took Bos to 7 games and has proven again it is flawed and unable to lead us anywhere .

Bukre and his quickie retool set this team down a path to no where and Nonis unfortunately has continued down this same road . No competent GM builds a team from the wingers in and Burke diminished our chances to build a cup contending team by trading 2 first at the start of a rebuild .

I said the team that almost best Boston, not the team that started the following season and had Nonis's footprints all over it. If you don't agree that's cool, but twisting around what I said is just a waste of your time and mine.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

[B[SIZE="3[B]"]]If you took a look at the roster Burke left and the one that started the following season you'll see it was far from the exact same roster [/B][/B]. [/SIZE]But hey why let reality get in the way of your fantasy .

I said the team that almost best Boston, not the team that started the following season and had Nonis's footprints all over it. If you don't agree that's cool, but twisting around what I said is just a waste of your time and mine.

I twisted nothing , you said the team Burke finished 26th with was the exact same one that almost knocked out Bos and I pointed out Nonis made a number of changes . Also , if you think swapping Grabo/Mac for Clarkson/Bolland would have us in cup contention then you'll being delusional .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I twisted nothing , you said the team Burke finished 26th with was the exact same one that almost knocked out Bos and I pointed out Nonis made a number of changes . Also , if you think swapping Grabo/Mac for Clarkson/Bolland would have us in cup contention then you'll being delusional .

Ok I'll bite. What changes did Nonis make between the time he took over and the Boston series?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yeah, 15 men plus Steckel-Lambo-Brown-Connoly-Komi LOL. :handclap:

Here's a link for you. Have a look at the playoff stats and point out to me the contributions made by players Nonis acquired after Burke left.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/2013.html

Burke didn't acquire Grabo-Reims-Komorov-Gunner among others either , so stopped trying to split hairs .

Nonis put together the team that made the playoffs last year ( not that it was some huge accomplishment ) and dumped roughly a 1/4 or more of Burkes trash in doing so .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Burke didn't acquire Grabo-Reims-Komorov-Gunner among others either , so stopped trying to split hairs .

Nonis put together the team that made the playoffs last year ( not that it was some huge accomplishment ) and dumped roughly a 1/4 or more of Burkes trash in doing so .

Points scored in the playoffs by players acquired by Nonis after burke left = zero. But somehow you're claiming that this was a team put together by Nonis?

Last edited by a moderator:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Ugh if I had an ignore list you would be on it for posting non facts.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Points scored in the playoffs by players acquired by Nonis after burke left = zero. But somehow you're claiming that this was a team put together by Nonis?

I'm done with you. Welcome to my ignore list.

I guess it's easier to shift the goalposts than to admit your wrong .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Ugh if I had an ignore list you would be on it for posting non facts.

List me one non fact in my post you quoted .

Last edited:

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
During a lot of Burkies big trades (Phaneuf, namely), Burke credited Nonis with doing most of the work.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

I think Nylund is asking a fair question.........which players did Nonis add while "putting together" that team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad