Burke created this team, and Nonis is destroying it

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Our team is capped out and mediocre. We have several terrible contracts such as Clarkson and Bozak. Worst part is our cap situation will be even worse next year.

Nonis handled the amnesty buyout situation terribly getting rid of grabo and 1 year of Komisarek while having 3 years of liles.

Nonis has also managed our assets poorly. Trading away Colbourne and then paying more to get Holland was insane. We could've sent Ashton down to make space for Colbourne.

Anyone talking about lack capspace as the reason we got rid of Colbourne needs to realize Nonis put us in that spot. Burke was a wizard with the cap and Nonis ruined it all in 1 year. Our defense is not currently built to be a contender and Burke would've never went all in like this.

Offspring

Feb 13, 2010
I've always felt that the Leafs would regret firing Burke. If he manages to turn Calgary back in contenders as we fall back into mediocrity, I'm bringing out the pitchforks.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I love how this is Burke's team when we're winning, but when things go to crap it suddenly becomes Nonis's disaster.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Yeah Burke had his fair share of terrible UFAs but the Bozak/Grabovski/Clarkson/Komisarek debacle puts Nonis cleanly in the lead as far as stupid cap management goes. Team potato.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Nonis has made like 3 changes.

Bolland - amazing trade.
Bernier- good trade.
Clarkson signing- Remains to be seen, he's still trying to find his role it seems.
Bozak signing- fair.

GardinerExpress

Oct 4, 2008
Hell

Bolland - amazing trade.
Bernier- good trade.
Clarkson signing- Remains to be seen, he's still trying to find his role it seems.
Bozak signing- fair.

Agreed, I'd even categorize Bernier under "amazing trade". He has been spectacular for us. It's not his fault we been leaving him out to dry recently.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
hated the day he was fired, i dont mind nonis's moves but i dont understand resigning bozak :facepalm:
Who would fill his shoes? Its apparent that Kadri isnt ready for the number one job right now...Simple as that. You made the playoffs with Bozak as the number 1 centre but then the next year youre just going to let him walk with no one to take his place, no that doesnt happen.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Who would fill his shoes? Its apparent that Kadri isnt ready for the number one job right now...Simple as that. You made the playoffs with Bozak as the number 1 centre but then the next year youre just going to let him walk with no one to take his place, no that doesnt happen.

sure, we win in the short term, if you enjoy a team that isnt a contender, but in the longterm we lose, unless you are satisfied with this team never contending for the cup.

Maccer

Bring back Pat!!
Mar 10, 2013
Leafs Nation

Bolland - amazing trade.
Bernier- good trade.
Bozak signing- fair.

A little early there bud. Scrivens has been better, we could've used Frattin, and we had to eat salary.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Burke never got out of the bottom 10 and left Nonis the 5th worst team in the league .

WTF was there to destroy ?

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Not only did we lose three under-appreciated players in Komarov, MacArthur, and Grabovski. Bolland is the only replacement we got who's actually better than any of those three.

Not only did we hamstring ourselves with bad contracts from signing free agents or even re-signing this current team's players.

But what really annoys me is we've now traded away THREE second round picks in a row. I know most second rounders don't turn out to much, but every few years you get a Finn or Kulemin.

We're not even likely to have much show for two of those three picks - if we're able to re-sign Bolland it'll likely be at a price that means losing Kulemin or Phaneuf, and Holland is a long shot to develop into anything more than a role playler.

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Nonis has made one bad move and that's the Clarkson signing (Clarkie could still turn it around) but yeah bad move...We were riding hot goalies and won despite being outshot/outplayed every night. It's catching upto us now.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax

Bolland - amazing trade.
Bernier- good trade.
Bozak signing- fair.

tyler-bozak.jpg

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
A little early there bud. Scrivens has been better, we could've used Frattin, and we had to eat salary.

Scrivens has been better?? You mean of course that Scrivens is on an Stanley Cup winning team with a quality defense core and system in place to help him. Frattin was expendable due to ## of wingers.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Yea, I am sure Scrivens will finish the year with a sub 1.5 GAA and .950 SV%. I bet you that Bernier will have much better numbers by the end of the season.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Scrivens has been better?? You mean of course that Scrivens is on an Stanley Cup winning team with a quality defense core and system in place to help him. Frattin was expendable due to ## of wingers.

Yeah who needs wingers like MacArthur, Komarov, or Frattin when you have Colton Orr!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad