Confirmed with Link: Burakovsky signs 1 x 3.25M

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Either 4 or 5 years somewhere in the low 5s, or go to arbitration. That's how I'd currently handle it. Which is an improvement of earlier where I just said arbitration.

I'm still not ready to give him term yet. Even if he would take the Compher contract, I still wouldn't feel comfortable about it not going the way of Boedker's UFA deal. Give me this postseason & (at least) 1 more season before I'm ready to give him that security.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How many RFA years does Bura have left? Offer him $4M per RFA years remaining as a starting point to negotiate.
Guy has already almost doubled his point total from the previous two seasons and start the offer at 750K more than his current contract? Don’t think that’ll go over well.

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You guys are nuts, we were so lucky to get out of Jones, then dodged Boedker through getting snubbed.

We may be looking at carrying EJ and Landeskog. I'm not taking any unnecessary risks with cap space.

Reactions: cgf and avsfan09

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Burkie has 2 years left as a RFA and with this year's production, his comparables are all in the 5s or 6s. Avs can argue it is just one season in arbitration, but the floor here is likely 4.75 for 2 years... wouldn't shock me to see a 5.5m award. So if going to 4 years pushes that same per cost out, I'm okay with it. He's really a disaster defensively, but his production is to a point where he's going to get paid regardless.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You guys are nuts, we were so lucky to get out of Jones, then dodged Boedker through getting snubbed.

We may be looking at carrying EJ and Landeskog. I'm not taking any unnecessary risks with cap space.

Unfortunately ya kinda have to at some point. It's amazing Joe has avoided those kinds of risks for this long.

Jones was a long time ago, and he wasn't a great bet not because of talent--he had plenty of that--it was the fact that his knees were made of jelly. Boedkker was a bad pickup from the get-go. And I think Joe knew that. It may have officially been a "snub" but I'm pretty sure Joe put very little effort into re-signing him. That trade right there is one of the few I pin completely on Roy.

And in the end, what's the bigger risk? Re-signing Nichushkin and Burakovsky to 3-4 year deals, or letting both guys walk/be traded and starting over again with a prospect or other reclamation project?

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Unfortunately ya kinda have to at some point. It's amazing Joe has avoided those kinds of risks for this long.

Jones was a long time ago, and he wasn't a great bet not because of talent--he had plenty of that--it was the fact that his knees were made of jelly. Boedkker was a bad pickup from the get-go. And I think Joe knew that. It may have officially been a "snub" but I'm pretty sure Joe put very little effort into re-signing him. That trade right there is one of the few I pin completely on Roy.

And in the end, what's the bigger risk? Re-signing Nichushkin and Burakovsky to 3-4 year deals, or letting both guys walk/be traded and starting over again with a prospect or other reclamation project?

There is taking a risk on Girard, then there is taking a risk on Nuke who would still be useful defensively. Then there is taking a risk on a guy who is completely one dimensional.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Landy's contract is the sword hanging over our heads. Not too afraid of Burakovsky's as I don't think we'll go crazy here.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Why do we need to take a risk here? Nichushkin isn't really that risky and has utility if his scoring falls and I highly doubt he is going to gouge us after we put him in a position to succeed and how happy he seems.
Bura has 2 RFA years I believe and we have no reason to rush a long term contract.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

If the Avs could get a similar impact as Boedker for two prospects that don't won't really pan into anything and a cap dump, I'd consider that trade a wild success. Boedker lead the team in points and was arguably the best forward down the stretch for the team that year. Injuries to Duchene and MacKinnon just killed that season at the end.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Why do we need to take a risk here? Nichushkin isn't really that risky and has utility if his scoring falls and I highly doubt he is going to gouge us after we put him in a position to succeed and how happy he seems.
Bura has 2 RFA years I believe and we have no reason to rush a long term contract.

Both players have shown they're perfectly capable of playing badly in long stretches. Signing both to even-reasonable contracts carries some amount of risk.

But really, no player is a safe bet. I still remember Brooks Laich getting a long-term extension, and part of the reason why WSH decided to go with it was that he was a remarkably durable player up until that point. He signed that deal and his body promptly fell apart.

Reactions: avsfan09

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If the Avs could get a similar impact as Boedker for two prospects that don't won't really pan into anything and a cap dump, I'd consider that trade a wild success. Boedker lead the team in points and was arguably the best forward down the stretch for the team that year. Injuries to Duchene and MacKinnon just killed that season at the end.

Man...I don't even remember that. Well, I remember both Duchene and MacKinnon going down, but I don't remember Boedkker playing so well. Either way, I still don't think those were good moves, even though the assets given up never really turned into anything.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Man...I don't even remember that. Well, I remember both Duchene and MacKinnon going down, but I don't remember Boedkker playing so well. Either way, I still don't think those were good moves, even though the assets given up never really turned into anything.

IMO people just got way to tied up in that the Avs traded Bleacks. If you look at it, it was basically a 2nd and a B/C prospect depending how you felt on Wood. So similar to a 2nd + Morrison sort of deal today... and getting a guy that paces 55 points. If the Avs sent that package to Nashville for Granlund and he paced 2nd line scoring and solidified the top 6... I think we'd all be thrilled. I personally think that trade was fine... not great, but nothing lost either. To me the nothing burger that was the Brassard trade was worse. Neither have had or will have a long term impact on the team. Secondary pieces just don't matter all that much.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think he's a core player yet, but I would go with 4 years if its around 5 mill. These are prime years; you take that risk since physically there will be no drop off.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Boedker still sucked defensively during that hotstreak...outside of those intermittent picked-pockets...

I'm not saying he was a fantastic player or anything, but the hate around that trade is simply not justified. It is actually a success story of a player coming in and contributing what you'd expect. If the Avs did the same this year (Namestnikov) and he shored up the forward group... people would look back fondly. The Avs just flat out blew those last 9 games. If they went .500 they would have been in the playoffs. Instead they went 1-8 and the whole team self destructed for the next 16 months.

Reactions: Murzu

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I really hope the Avs can get a steal on a Burakovsky contract. There just aren’t many humans on earth that can shoot the puck like that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
IMO people just got way to tied up in that the Avs traded Bleacks. If you look at it, it was basically a 2nd and a B/C prospect depending how you felt on Wood. So similar to a 2nd + Morrison sort of deal today... and getting a guy that paces 55 points. If the Avs sent that package to Nashville for Granlund and he paced 2nd line scoring and solidified the top 6... I think we'd all be thrilled. I personally think that trade was fine... not great, but nothing lost either. To me the nothing burger that was the Brassard trade was worse. Neither have had or will have a long term impact on the team. Secondary pieces just don't matter all that much.

Yeah...I get that. I guess it just boils down to the fact that I didn't care at all for the philosophy. The team really just didn't look all that cohesive or impressive that entire season IIRC, so it was a real surprise, even though they were within striking distance of a playoff spot, for them to make so many minor deals. Normally I don't mind a team making bold moves, but these felt, and still feel, kinda half-assed.

I get it...in the end the worst thing they gave up was that compensatory 2nd rounder that eventually ended up with Detroit. But it's not like I'm crying over not having Philip Hronek in the fold, I just didn't like the direction the team was going at that time, and to me that still feels like there was a very serious disconnect between Sakic and Roy at the time.

This time around, making some minor deals to shore up depth, or even swinging an even bigger deal, makes a lot more sense.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Boedker still sucked defensively during that hotstreak...outside of those intermittent picked-pockets...

To be totally fair to him, Roy told him to skate as fast as he could out of the zone as soon as we got the puck. So he wasn't brought in to be any sort of defensive forward.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm not saying he was a fantastic player or anything, but the hate around that trade is simply not justified. It is actually a success story of a player coming in and contributing what you'd expect. If the Avs did the same this year (Namestnikov) and he shored up the forward group... people would look back fondly. The Avs just flat out blew those last 9 games. If they went .500 they would have been in the playoffs. Instead they went 1-8 and the whole team self destructed for the next 16 months.

Fair enough. For me, the best part of that trade was avoiding being the team to pay him for his hotstreak, but it was certainly a successful rental for that season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah...I get that. I guess it just boils down to the fact that I didn't care at all for the philosophy. The team really just didn't look all that cohesive or impressive that entire season IIRC, so it was a real surprise, even though they were within striking distance of a playoff spot, for them to make so many minor deals. Normally I don't mind a team making bold moves, but these felt, and still feel, kinda half-assed.

I get it...in the end the worst thing they gave up was that compensatory 2nd rounder that eventually ended up with Detroit. But it's not like I'm crying over not having Philip Hronek in the fold, I just didn't like the direction the team was going at that time, and to me that still feels like there was a very serious disconnect between Sakic and Roy at the time.

This time around, making some minor deals to shore up depth, or even swinging an even bigger deal, makes a lot more sense.

I'm really not a half assed solution fan. Pay up and just getting it over with is my preferred method. But I feel minor deals like that get way too much heat. Unless you are giving up a 1st or a B+ or better prospect, don't sweat it. Odds are high that what is given up won't equal what you get. If you give up something prime, there should be a solid return and expectation placed on it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At this point, if Bura wants a medium term deal, I think it's hard to argue he hasn't earned it. A two year deal takes him straight to UFA, I don't see that the benefit of being able to walk away from a bust is better than the potential loss of an impact player to UFA.

The cap implications of a four year term are kind of a "later" problem. The Avs are in a contention window, if Burakovsky will take a 4x5.5-6.5 I think you have to lock him up and deal with the ramifications later. He may very well finish that contract in Seattle anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad