Bunting UFA Next Seasom

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Call me crazy, but I just don't think his AAV will start with a 4. He's a good player, but again, he doesn't kill penalties and he's not shown any ability to produce outside of the top 6.

The big differance between Bunts and Hyms is that Hyman was a line driver. You could put Zach on any line and that instantly became the most effective line on the team. I'd even argue Michkeyev had more of an impact outside the top 6 then Bunts.

I am not trying to discredit Bunts, but that is just the way we have to approach his next deal. He is a good fit in our top 6, but he is replaceable if the price does not make sense. I'm sure we could find a lot of players who could slide into the left side with Matthews and Nylander/Marner and have an impact. Matthew Knies being one name that instantly comes to mind.

I love Bunts, and I hope he stays. But IMO, it will have to be a team friendly deal. Not that he is a "core" player, but having him resign to a team friendly deal a year after Mo signed a team friendly deal just sets the tone for players to follow IMO. Sidney Crosby once said that taking less only makes sense if everyone else on the team does the same. Mo left some money on the table last season. My hope is that Bunts will follow suit. And hopefully so on and so forth. Every dollar will count when it comes to a AM34 extension.

This is Bunts first (and perhaps last) chance to cash in. I can see him giving a discount to stay but if Matty does not leave a penny on the table, why would/should Bunts? The guy is our #1 LWer and is trending towards his second 60 point season at 900K.

Should have given him the Paul deal this past summer, but that ship has sailed.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
If an interested team has 2 top line players + $4-5 mill in cap space, they can make a run at bunting. Better hope, it's not a Campbell scenario though.

Teams could give him $5 x 5, but Leafs could front-load a $3.75 x 8 or $4 x 8.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Time for Bunts to get his $$$ too .. you only get a short window as a player to get paid .. he has to get his $$$ this summer .. and he will .. it has nothing to do with Leafs .. like Zach he will always be a Leaf fan .. but he has to get paid .. Dubie needs to find another younger gem of a player to replace him
Isn't 7 x $4 "getting paid"?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Isn't 7 x $4 "getting paid"?
I am not up on what is market price today .. but at 27 years of age this is his contract where he needs to max out .. i would suspect he wants a long term too to give him insurance for 7 years .. 4-5ish makes sense for 7 years .. maybe Leafs give him 4m aav for 8 years though

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This is Bunts first (and perhaps last) chance to cash in. I can see him giving a discount to stay but if Matty does not leave a penny on the table, why would/should Bunts? The guy is our #1 LWer and is trending towards his second 60 point season at 900K.

Should have given him the Paul deal this past summer, but that ship has sailed.
A couple things to consider.

Bunting's extension could easily come prior to Matthews extension, as Bunting can resign at the current moment whereas Matthews will have to wait until the offseason to even begin negotiating an extension. So the idea that "if Matty does not leave a penny on the table, why would/should Bunts" may not even be a factor if Bunts signs beforehand. By a recent report tweet from Pierre LeBrun, the Maple Leafs seem to be trying to do just that:

secondly, Michael Bunting, Although a LW1 on our team, is not an LW1 in all situations around the league. He will be paid accordingly as a result. Certainly he most likely could get more money away from Toronto. But that cannot be what we chase. If he is unwilling to sign a team friendly deal, we need to move on. I am sure we can find another player who would be more then willing to play with Auston/Mitch/Willy on that left side.

For the record, I would have no problem with Bunting doing that. He's earned the right to explore free agency should he choose. But similar to Hyman, we have to have a number that makes sense for us near and far. As a complimentary player to our core, albeit very important complementary player, Bunting is expendable.

Just as much as it stung when Hyms left, it will sting to see Bunts go. But that's just business. If he cannot take a team friendly deal he unfortunately has to go. If he wants to be a Leaf, and by all accounts he does, I don't see how he wouldn't be open minded to a team friendly deal with term. This was a guy who was in the AHL as recent as 2 years ago. Anything under 4AAV makes sense to me TBH. But like I said, I suspect 7 x 3.5AAV personally.

Maybe I am naïve, but Bunts is no where near the caliber of player Hyman is currently and was when Zach entered UFA. Their contracts shouldn't be anywhere close to the same IMO

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A couple things to consider.

Bunting's extension could easily come prior to Matthews extension, as Bunting can resign at the current moment whereas Matthews will have to wait until the offseason to even begin negotiating an extension. So the idea that "if Matty does not leave a penny on the table, why would/should Bunts" may not even be a factor if Bunts signs beforehand. By a recent report tweet from Pierre LeBrun, the Maple Leafs seem to be trying to do just that:

secondly, Michael Bunting, Although a LW1 on our team, is not an LW1 in all situations around the league. He will be paid accordingly as a result. Certainly he most likely could get more money away from Toronto. But that cannot be what we chase. If he is unwilling to sign a team friendly deal, we need to move on. I am sure we can find another player who would be more then willing to play with Auston/Mitch/Willy on that left side.

For the record, I would have no problem with Bunting doing that. He's earned the right to explore free agency should he choose. But similar to Hyman, we have to have a number that makes sense for us near and far. As a complimentary player to our core, albeit very important complementary player, Bunting is expendable.

Just as much as it stung when Hyms left, it will sting to see Bunts go. But that's just business. If he cannot take a team friendly deal he unfortunately has to go. If he wants to be a Leaf, and by all accounts he does, I don't see how he wouldn't be open minded to a team friendly deal with term. This was a guy who was in the AHL as recent as 2 years ago. Anything under 4AAV makes sense to me TBH. But like I said, I suspect 7 x 3.5AAV personally.

Maybe I am naïve, but Bunts is no where near the caliber of player Hyman is currently and was when Zach entered UFA. Their contracts shouldn't be anywhere close to the same IMO

Besides Bunting who could be a UFA after this season, let's say their other UFA's like Kerfoot, Kampf, and Holl also leave as UFA's? Wouldn't that make it easier for Bunting to re-sign?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Besides Bunting who could be a UFA after this season, let's say their other UFA's like Kerfoot, Kampf, and Holl also leave as UFA's? Wouldn't that make it easier for Bunting to re-sign?

Yes it should, also the Hyman and Bunting situation is a bit different. Yes Hyman grew up a leafs fan and wanted to stay, but Hyman has been rich his entire life. Basically money talks, I don’t think Hyman was ever staying if the money wasn’t right.

Bunting I believe has the same affinity for the leafs but he’s had to work his way up and really battle. I think he’d be more open to staying and taking less to stay because his best friends play here, I really think he wants to win here and the biggest obstacle is; I don’t think there will be GM’s willing to pay more than what Toronto will pay for him. There won’t be a Ken Holland in this situation probably

Reactions: LeafsNation75

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes it should, also the Hyman and Bunting situation is a bit different. Yes Hyman grew up a leafs fan and wanted to stay, but Hyman has been rich his entire life. Basically money talks, I don’t think Hyman was ever staying if the money wasn’t right.

Bunting I believe has the same affinity for the leafs but he’s had to work his way up and really battle. I think he’d be more open to staying and taking less to stay because his best friends play here, I really think he wants to win here and the biggest obstacle is; I don’t think there will be GM’s willing to pay more than what Toronto will pay for him. There won’t be a Ken Holland in this situation probably

Wanna bet ;) ??

Last edited:
Reactions: ACC1224

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Bunting's affinity for the Leafs and how's he had to work just to be where he is today, that's why I said earlier getting a different vibe about him re-signing compared to Hyman.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Wanna bet ??

I mean to a certain point, but honestly I wouldn't put it past NHL GM's. But let's look at Bunting's last UFA session. He took less to play for the leafs. He had multiple offers over 1 million and he took less to play at home. Obviously money matters, but I think what matters to him more is opportunity, and the ability to play for his hometown team.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I mean to a certain point, but honestly I wouldn't put it past NHL GM's. But let's look at Bunting's last UFA session. He took less to play for the leafs. He had multiple offers over 1 million and he took less to play at home. Obviously money matters, but I think what matters to him more is opportunity, and the ability to play for his hometown team.

What is B2B 60 point season's worth?? If it is north of $5m, I don't think he'd willing to give up $3-$5m on a 7 year deal. If he does, he will be loved by Leafs fans.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think he took a calculated risk that if he could force his way onto one of the top two lines he'd be in for a payday at the end of it.
Looks like it worked out for him.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
What is B2B 60 point season's worth?? If it is north of $5m, I don't think he'd willing to give up $3-$5m on a 7 year deal. If he does, he will be loved by Leafs fans.

I could see him doing a 3.8 on a 5 year deal. And I don't think Bunting is getting 60 this year. But I hear you. I just think he won't screw the leafs. I honestly think we are going to be surprised by all the resignings coming up, I think the core is finally going to understand you can't have all the money and win. I think Matthews will sign for 13. I don't believe this $15 mill nonsense at all.

Only guy I think we may have to trade if the cap doesn't jump is unfortunately Nylander and I don't want that to happen.

Reactions: ToneDog

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
While GMs often do very dumb things, theyre not always completely blind.

Hyman in part got the contract he did from the Oilers because they knew they could replicate his play on their team by duct taping him to McDavid or LD.

Bunting only produces here alongside a couple of 90+ stars.

How many teams are going to give him 5 or more mil and can offer him the same situation?

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad