Bunting UFA Next Seasom

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think he signs this off season unless he takes another short contract. I would expect the team to see how he performs next year before committing to anything longer.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I don't think he signs this off season unless he takes another short contract. I would expect the team to see how he performs next year before committing to anything longer.
exactly - approaching him now gives him some leverage

if he earns the leverage with another fine season then he 'earns' it and could be worth the commitment after 2 seasons not just 1

Reactions: ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kid took term over money to play at home, I'd offer 4x4 this summer. I mean he virtually played for free this year and next.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hope Dubas talks with his agent this summer to find out how much he wants.
We can't lose him for free like Hyman.
I can't imagine that Dubas would give up on one more ridiculously inexpensive season of Bunting just to avoid losing him for no return afterwards. That said, I can understand and agree with why Dubas should want to re-up Bunting sooner than later if the plan is to keep the latter alongside Matthews and Marner. Conversely, Bunting might also want to wait under such a scenario too.

Reactions: banks and ToneDog

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I can't imagine that Dubas would give up on one more ridiculously inexpensive season of Bunting just to avoid losing him for no return afterwards. That said, I can understand and agree with why Dubas should want to re-up Bunting sooner than later if the plan is to keep the latter alongside Matthews and Marner. Conversely, Bunting might also want to wait under such a scenario too.
Nothing would change for this upcoming season.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nothing would change for this upcoming season.
They'd potentially be losing him for nothing after next season if he doesn't re-sign this summer and isn't traded. Of course, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Bunting re-signs during the season.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Every kid coming up needs to get paid .. Bunting is no different .. da issue is da same -- half of CAP to 4 forwards .. not Bunting's issue da GM overpaid 4 forwards .. 4M+ is what he will cost and quite frankly we can't afford any more multi million dollar forward contracts .. D and G is where you win Cups and all our CAP $$$ going to these 2 areas of team

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They'd potentially be losing him for nothing after next season if he doesn't re-sign this summer and isn't traded. Of course, it's not completely out of the realm of possibility that Bunting re-signs during the season.
Correct but they would still get him for cheap this season even if he is extended this summer or during the season.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Correct but they would still get him for cheap this season even if he is extended this summer or during the season.
Of course. I was referring to trading him when I mentioned giving up on one more ridiculously expensive season. Similar to the previous situation with Hyman, I can't see Dubas trading Bunting simply because the player hasn't signed a new contract with the team. He's a cheap contract that helps the team be competitive now.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Damn, let's go sign Nik Ritchie and Joe Thornton ! Studs !

Joe Thornton was putting up similar numbers to Hyman on that line...

As for re-signing Bunting, you can put pretty much anyone beside Marner/Matthews and that line will still be one of the best in the league. Wouldn't be too worried about losing him, this reminds me of Hyman all over again, people thinking that Hyman did something on that line and he was easily replaced.

Also, why would we trade him? He is probably gone for free, just like half of Colorado's team, teams that are trying to win (anyone making the playoffs), usually keep their UFAs.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Toronto is a uniquely attractive destination for over-the-hill local veterans looking for one last kick at the can in a hockey hotbed and younger players either looking to make a name for themselves or re-establish their career playing with talented players. Both represent great value opportunities.

Too bad the savings from these types of deal just went to line the pockets of our top guys and basically neutralized the benefit. Imagine what could have been if our stars had been ok taking a bit of a haircut? I guess a big part of the reason these opportunities exist is because people want to play with Matthews, Marner, etc., but still!!

(Sorry, I realize this doesn't really add anything to the Bunting conversation and has been said ad nauseum, but I can't vent to my wife about this stuff, so I'm posting here instead!)

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
he hasn't made any money and he's not getting any younger , slap 10m over 3yrs on the table and there's a good chance he plays it safe and signs so he can at least have a decent chunk of cash in the bank if he can't duplicate what he did last year

and he'll be still young enough if he takes that deal to get another decent offer if he performs well

horner

May 22, 2007
If he doesn't wish to talk now .
Then dubas needs to check his trade value.
To big of a piece to lose for free.

Reactions: freshwind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad