Bunting UFA Next Seasom

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't think they ever thought he was not the answer. The problem was always the cap hit. Without deleting others from the roster, we could not afford to keep him, regardless of how well he fit out need.

Hyman is better than Bunting imo, considerably in fact. So if Hyman was 5.5, Bunting is 3.5 max for me. They play a similar game, but Hyman was way stronger and more suited to that type of game. Bunting gets an A for effort without a doubt, and brings other benefits perhaps that Hyman did not. But on the ice, in a one on one, I am taking Hyman 100% of the time.
Exactly! If we could fit him in under the cap, we would have done it for sure but it's not like we were going to move Nylander to fit in Hyman or whatever. Bunting might perhaps be worth a bit more than 64% of what Hyman makes but other than that, I agree with every word.

Reactions: wingman75

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
You think he's getting 10m+? :laugh:
Yes. He'll start high and ask for $10.0M AAV. Dubas will counter with $11.0M and they will settle at $11.5M.

I'll bet you that Dubas insisted on giving Giordano $8M even though Pridham was in the background telling him to shut it. Giordano probably had to force his hand into an enormous discount by threatening to walk.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I didn't see a big issue with the way the old Hyman played.
There is nothing wrong with the way Hyman played as a Leafs. My point had to do with Hyman seemed to find another part of his game as an Oilers due to their system. He will never find that part of his game while still playing for the Leafs due to Leafs system.

Reactions: ACC1224

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
My point had to do with Hyman seemed to find another part of his game as an Oilers due to their system.
If by "system" you mean playing with McDavid and Draisaitl pacing for ~150 and ~130 points respectively, and getting top unit PP time as the 5th wheel of a generational PP.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If by "system" you mean playing with McDavid and Draisaitl pacing for ~150 and ~130 points respectively, and getting top unit PP time as the 5th wheel of a generational PP.
Bunting also gets the same advantages , top PP and top line winger.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Bunting also gets the same advantages , top PP and top line winger.
Bunting has gotten less than half the PP time of Hyman, and most of it has been with a low-scoring 2nd unit, not a PP performing at generational levels. Hyman also has the best linemate quality in the league.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bunting has gotten less than half the PP time of Hyman, and most of it has been with a low-scoring 2nd unit, not a PP performing at generational levels. Hyman also has the best linemate quality in the league.
Ok
I was just going off faceoff lines that has Bunting on first unit.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
With Hyman, the hindsight is better asked a couple seasons from now. The injury history + his 30s are going to be a bad combination
That will always be the question when signing a long term deal when the players is 27 or older.
Like if McD wants to come home when he hits UFA and the Leafs is able to pay him on sign and trade. The last 2-3 yrs will be most likely not be worth his contract.
I think it will determine if the team can win during that contract, esp early in the contract. If says Hyman resigns with the Leafs and the Leafs ended up in the Conf Finals last season. I think that contract paid off already.
Just like JT’s contract, if the Leafs advanced to the Conf Finals or more in any of the last 4 seasons, even if they have not win a Cup, JT is worth his contract as long as he produces in the playoffs and not a true passenger.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
With Hyman, the hindsight is better asked a couple seasons from now. The injury history + his 30s are going to be a bad combination
For sure and that was probably the greater concern. The thought was more the benefit of having him now, worry about the other stuff later.

Reactions: Menzinger

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What about something like the contract Nick Paul re-signed with Tampa which was 7 years at $3.15 million AAV.

Spreading the money out over a longer term to keep the AAV down seems like the smart way to approach the Bunting signing.

However, I doubt Bunting settles for something in the $3M range - if he keeps this up, it's reasonable to expect he could make over $4M on the open market, making this a challenging negotiation for the Leafs.

Dubas needs a win. The Leafs need a few of these guys to leave some money on the table. Bunts is a local guy who genuinely seems to love playing here. Let's hope it all lines up

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Spreading the money out over a longer term to keep the AAV down seems like the smart way to approach the Bunting signing.

However, I doubt Bunting settles for something in the $3M range - if he keeps this up, it's reasonable to expect he could make over $4M on the open market, making this a challenging negotiation for the Leafs.

Dubas needs a win. The Leafs need a few of these guys to leave some money on the table. Bunts is a local guy who genuinely seems to love playing here. Let's hope it all lines up
Anything in the $3 million range is still a raise over the $950,000 AAV he's currently making this season.

Personally I think he will re-sign because of the fact he's from Scarborough and Toronto was where he wanted to play the first time he was a UFA.

Before anyone says that Zach Hyman was also from Toronto and he left for Edmonton I know that's true. However with Bunting I'm not getting that same vibe that he wants to leave and play for another team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Depends on how the contract is structured. 4.5x4 similar to what Soup got from Vancouver nets him guaranteed 18 mil, a 3.5x7 from the Leafs guarantees 24 mil.

Could be hard for a guy with minimal career earnings to pass on something like that

Reactions: LeafsNation75

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I also thing because of the Muzzin LTIR.
If Bunting wants to much they maybe looking to trade for a forward for this season and next.
I think they will only trade there first for a RFA or a young signed forward .
Example
Konecny
For
1st + Sandin + Robertson
Not to sure if that package would work.
Flyers fan?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Bunts is what 27, which is a good age, right in the middle of prime and healthy as near as anyone can tell.

He's played in 473 professional hockey games which isn't that many over the course of 7 pro seasons

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think you have to be afraid of 30 with this player nor maybe even 33, but we'll say he should be in relatively good shape up until 32, so a 5 year deal should be alright.

The Leafs stole one when they signed Bunts to that contract he's been money for sure, he is the epitome of the .8ppg player, Willie got 7m for that kind of performance, Nylander can drive a line, whereas Bunting doesn't seem to be that player, he really doesn't carry the puck but he can cycle and he gets into the scoring areas and makes the most of it.

So if and it's a big one, IF he is cool with granting the Leafs the so called hometown discount I'm going to say
5yrs 4mAAV 5m signing bonus to get his signature on the contract.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Depends on how the contract is structured. 4.5x4 similar to what Soup got from Vancouver nets him guaranteed 18 mil, a 3.5x7 from the Leafs guarantees 24 mil.

Could be hard for a guy with minimal career earnings to pass on something like that
Not if 5x5 is waiting for him in free agency

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad