Bunting for Calder

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
It's Rookie of the Year Not Youngest Rookie with the Brightest Future
Excellent point. I think Raymond, Seider, etc. are better players, but you can't deny Bunting's season.

For those in other markets talking about anyone being able to play with Matthews and Marner, while true, Bunting has actually enhanced both. How can you not argue Bunting is a good part of why both Mitch and Auston are having the incredible seasons they're having?

I hate homerism, but I think objectively speaking Bunting is the guy who should win the award. His impact is more than just his own points and the points of M&M. He does a lot of little things like creating penalties and keeping the energy high on his line. Off topic, but Bunting is the kind of guy who should be playing with Nylander to elevate him as he has M&M.

The Blueprint

Dec 4, 2018
I still feel like bunting is disrespected as a 3rd wheel even by our own fanbase, Calder or not.

He has underrated hockey IQ. Is always in a good spot to give/recieve a pass. Everyone acts like it's easy to slot in beside Matthews and Marner. It ain't. Ask Nick Ritchie.

He creates a ton of havoc in the O zone that allows Matthews and Marner (and him) to get touches around the net.

I'm not saying he's as good as Matthews and Marner. But I do think he could contribute 40-50 points on a bad team with more minutes/PP opportunity and less talent around him. Small sample in Arizona last year, but still.

Excited we have him at a good cap for another year. The guy is money and slowly becoming one of my favourite Leafs.

Oh ya and other than the points don't forget he gets under teams skin, not a quantifiable skill but certainly one that can help change momentum and get teams off their game.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bunting is the team leader in plus minus as well, which really confuses the hell out of me. I mean you would think his linemates who have 102 and 94 points would have a higher plus minus rating. Yet Bunting is a plus 30 and Mathews is a plus 17 Bunting is almost double, such a weird thing.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Bunting is the team leader in plus minus as well, which really confuses the hell out of me. I mean you would think his linemates who have 102 and 94 points would have a higher plus minus rating. Yet Bunting is a plus 30 and Mathews is a plus 17 Bunting is almost double, such a weird thing.
I'd say that Bunting accumulating far fewer of his points on the PP while also averaging five minutes less of ice time per game should partially explain that difference in +/- rating from his 5 vs 5 linemates.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
6 games to get 7 points. A Leafs record would be a nice consolation prize.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'd say that Bunting accumulating far fewer of his points on the PP while also averaging five minutes less of ice time per game should partially explain that difference in +/- rating from his 5 vs 5 linemates.
It's even more mind boggling....
So at even strength Mathews has been on the ice for 57 goals against, Marner has been on the ice for 42 goals against and Bunting has been on the ice for 28 goals against. That is a lot more goals being given up while Mathews and Marner are on the ice without Bunting, for those 3 or 4 more minutes of even strength icetime a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
So at even strength Mathews has been on the ice for 57 goals against, Marner has been on the ice for 42 goals against and Bunting has been on the ice for 28 goals against. That is a lot more goals being given up while Mathews and Marner are on the ice without Bunting, for those 3 or 4 minutes more minutes of even strength icetime a game.
Bunting for Selke??? ;)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
So at even strength Mathews has been on the ice for 57 goals against, Marner has been on the ice for 42 goals against and Bunting has been on the ice for 28 goals against. That is a lot more goals being given up while Mathews and Marner are on the ice without Bunting, for those 3 or 4 more minutes of even strength icetime a game.

Those are

A) SH goals against
B) empty net goals against
C) OT goals against

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Considering Bunting doesn’t get PP time like the other guys and is leading the rookies in points.
I think he should win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad