Bunting for Calder

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
-Bunting now has 8 points over 2nd place in the rookie scoring race.
-He’s the only one in the top 4 of scoring with less than 22 power play points with only 6. So he’s been an even strength machine.
-He's the only one in the top 4 of scoring that has less than 18 minutes of ice time with a mere 15:41 average.
-He’s the only one in the top 4 of scoring that has a positive plus/minus at a team leading +30. Next closest on the Leafs is +23. So it doesn’t seem like he’s getting carried.
-He’s already surpassed the best season of the top lines LWer for the past 5 years (Hyman) by 22 points. Yaya shortened seasons, but that is the fact.

Not sure what else the guy needs to do.
"But he’s so OLD!!!" Then why wouldn’t they put the stipulation on the trophy to be 21 or under or whatever?
Cause the bloody guy is eligible.

Just because a dman has 47 points with 22 of them on the PP while not being a complete scrub on a scrub team? It’s the logic that someone needs to score on a bad team and he’s getting fed 23 minutes a night, more than 7 minutes a night more than Bunting.

That’s my case, destroy me.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Hate to be the party pooper on a fan favorite but if Seider doesn't win the calder it will be corruption. He's a beast you can't just look at points. Guy became a top 2 D in his rookie year. Definitely not getting him for Bunting straight up (meant for contrast, I know calder doesn't equal trade value but what Seider did at his age puts him in a tier of his own for calder)

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seider should win it. No slight on how great Bunting has been. Seider plays in Detroit and should hit over 50 points as a d-man.

Maybe if Bunting continues on a heater the next 7 games and gets a 10-15 point buffer on the next highest scorer .. but Seider has to be the top contender.

Reactions: ECanuck

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bunting at least is in the conversation, and at worst, the clear #2. Seider will be an incredible player, but the trophy isn't about who will be have the best NHL career, but who had the best rookie year.

Seider no doubt is going to have the better career.. but you can just as easily say, he's been gifted top pairing, because his team is trash, and they don't have anyone else. Would he be top pairing on a legitimate NHL contender, or would he be learning the ropes, and getting less than top pairing time, and opportunity? 20 of Seider's points are Power play points, chances are, on a top team, he's not going to get that top PP time...

For the best player, this year, as a rookie, this is pretty close.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Silly. By saying his points aren't being inflated by playing two of the best offensive players in the league is silly. Of course he's being carried. If he were playing on Toronto's third line and getting 14 minutes a game he probably has half the production.

It's seider.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Bunting keeps improving his case for the Calder with every passing game. Could possibly make the argument that he leads the top four candidates in PIM and averages the lowest TOI out of that lot...Then again, pointing that out technically makes his offensive numbers all the more impressive.
Bunting for Calder and the Calder for Bunting!!! Seider obviously has a great case for it though considering the point totals amassed for a d-man and the ice time that he logs.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Seider wins it and definitely should. Detroit unfortunately has a real good one there.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Mikey has had a few stretches where he’s gone cold - no goals in 9 and 17 games in stretches with Matthews and Marner, that’s over 30% of the season and not nothing.

But he plays a pesky game and pitches in, gets dirty and can free up space and he actually has very nice hands, but sometimes he can’t keep it all going. He’s a lv 55 character playing with two lv 95 guys.

What he’s done this year is better than anything Zach Hyman has done in any year, he’ll get at least 65 but maybe 70 points, and that two year deal? f***, he’d need 5 mil a year after this year. Tremendous move by Dubas.

But the Calder should be under-24 at the start of the season.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bunting should win if he hits 70 points, heck that would be more than Mathews got in his rookie year. May be a Leaf rookie record. Add in he gets the team more PP's than all but but 2 guys (MaDavid and Gaudreau) in the entire league. Somehow he is the team plus minus leader at plus 30, Mathews is only plus 17 which just confuses me how that can even happen. He'd have 20 points more than Seider, 20 more goals. Bunting plus 30, Seider minus 12.

If anybody, maybe Zegras edges Bunting out because his goals are more highlight reel type. McDavid and Draisaitl still win Hart trophies even though they feed off each other, so playing with Marner and Mathews shouldn't matter.

Reactions: DirkStraun

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
If you are eligible age shouldn't be a factor AT ALL. Unfortunately most don't agree with me on that one.
I want to say age shouldn't matter but then I think about if a 19-21 year old marner/matthews/nylander lost it to a 26 year old who got to play with the best duo in the league...I wouldn't be okay with that. The whole team runs through Seider on the backend and Larkin up front, similar to how Leafs ran through, and got carried by 3 rookies in 16/17 (obviously overall our team smoked the wings though).

Age should definitely matter when evaluating what a rookie did. It's harder to do something at 19-21 than it is at 25-26.

Reactions: Hoglund4MvP

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I want to say age shouldn't matter but then I think about if a 19-21 year old marner/matthews/nylander lost it to a 26 year old who got to play with the best duo in the league...I wouldn't be okay with that. The whole team runs through Seider on the backend and Larkin up front, similar to how Leafs ran through, and got carried by 3 rookies in 16/17.

Age should definitely matter when evaluating what a rookie did. It's harder to do something at 19-21 than it is at 25-26.
If they renamed the Calder to the under 21 award, I'd accept that and so would everybody else. As was said its not about who is going to have the best career because McDavid would have won over Panarin.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
If they renamed the Calder to the under 21 award, I'd accept that and so would everybody else. As was said its not about who is going to have the best career because McDavid would have won over Panarin.
Like I said none of us would be okay if 19-21 year old matthews/marner/nylander lost it to a 26 year old who didn't have to be a go-to guy on his team so there's nothing to really debate here about age. Age has always mattered for the calder and only becomes an issue when you need your personal favorite to win. Let's not become hypocrites.

That doesn't mean it should be restricted to 19-21 year olds. It is possible for a 26 year old to win like Panarins season.

Reactions: cyris

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Like I said none of us would be okay if 19-21 year old matthews/marner/nylander lost it to a 26 year old who didn't have to be a go-to guy on his team so there's nothing to really debate here about age. Age has always mattered for the calder and only becomes an issue when you need your personal favorite to win. Let's not become hypocrites.

That doesn't mean it should be restricted to 19-21 year olds. It is possible for a 26 year old to win like Panarins season.
If age doesn't matter, which it shouldn't simply because rules are rules, age should not be brought up in the discussion. Unless ofcourse the league comes out and states, Zegras wins because he is is younger than Bunting, for example.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
If age doesn't matter, which it shouldn't simply because rules are rules, age should not be brought up in the discussion. Unless ofcourse the league comes out and states, Zegras wins because he is is younger than Bunting, for example.
Why would they need to come out and say that? It's just common sense what Seider and Zegras are doing at their age is more special than what Bunting did. That's not a knock on Bunting he's still special for us. When I say age matters as a factor I'm saying that casually. It's an accepted fact and thinking about our own superstars when they were 19-21 should be enough for you. Imagine Marners 61 points going up against Buntings points. It would be an outrage if 26 year old Bunting beat 20 year old Marner. Marner had to actually be a line carrier at 20 years old there's nothing to debate here about age. Seider deserves it 100% he's a special player more so than Bunting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad