News Article: Bullying and backstabbing: the Ottawa Senators are pro sport's biggest mess

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
How is being a self made billionaire considered a failure these days? We should all be so lucky.

Well I mean, it's all relative.

Obviously Eugene Melnyk is a success. He and his family live a life that 99.9% of people in the world would jump at in a second. But when compared to other pro sport owners? It's easy to call him a failure.

I mean, Bobby Ryan is an incredible hockey player. If anyone on this board could have his talent tomorrow, we'd be thrilled. And yet, we call him terrible every day.

It's the same thing.

There's another thread where you called half the team "small and soft" despite them all being significantly above average in height, weight, strength, etc when compared to the general public.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well I mean, it's all relative.

Obviously Eugene Melnyk is a success. He and his family live a life that 99.9% of people in the world would jump at in a second. But when compared to other pro sport owners? It's easy to call him a failure.

I mean, Bobby Ryan is an incredible hockey player. If anyone on this board could have his talent tomorrow, we'd be thrilled. And yet, we call him terrible every day.

It's the same thing.

There's another thread where you called half the team "small and soft" despite them all being significantly above average in height, weight, strength, etc when compared to the general public.
Good point, I sit corrected.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
At the end of the Day, yes he is a Billionaire not sure if that is in investments or is very liquid. However is obvious that he either does not want to invest any of his own money in this organization or has hit the wall in what he is willing to put out of pocket into this team or is just pocketing money instead.

Realistically his business plan is flawed as he is running the franchise into the ground and will become more difficult for him to see profits from the team as fans are no longer passionate about the team because of his actions and on ice product and is showing at the gate.

He is not the Billionaire owner this team and city needs running a NHL franchise, I think he would make a excellent AHL or OHL hockey team owner though.NHL is for the Multi-billionaires and have the money to actually run the organization properly and bring in the right people so it is successful money making product at the same time.

I think the Chabot extension is going to expose his B.S. rebuild plan and show everyone it was costing cutting plan cause he can't afford to run the team anymore. Montreal Expos 2.0

Reactions: Acidrain66

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
At the end of the Day, yes he is a Billionaire not sure if that is in investments or is very liquid. However is obvious that he either does not want to invest any of his own money in this organization or has hit the wall in what he is willing to put out of pocket into this team or is just pocketing money instead.

Realistically his business plan is flawed as he is running the franchise into the ground and will become more difficult for him to see profits from the team as fans are no longer passionate about the team because of his actions and on ice product and is showing at the gate.

He is not the Billionaire owner this team and city needs running a NHL franchise, I think he would make a excellent AHL or OHL hockey team owner though.NHL is for the Multi-billionaires and have the money to actually run the organization properly and bring in the right people so it is successful money making product at the same time.

I think the Chabot extension is going to expose his B.S. rebuild plan and show everyone it was costing cutting plan cause he can't afford to run the team anymore. Montreal Expos 2.0

I think he'll find the cash to sign Chabot. But....then we have Tkachuk on the clock the summer afterwards. That is where the shit is going to hit the fan. Giving two kids big upfront bonuses two years in a row...can't see him doing that.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think he'll find the cash to sign Chabot. But....then we have Tkachuk on the clock the summer afterwards. That is where the **** is going to hit the fan. Giving two kids big upfront bonuses two years in a row...can't see him doing that.

Bettman will have a solution to that issue by the time Tkachuk gets there

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Melnyk owns the building in Ottawa. No way he is moving this team even if temporarily to a place where he won't get the gate revenue. Not sure how many times this needs to be repeated to you.

I did not suggest he should do it, I mentioned that I read that read the scenario, in the paper a couple of days ago.

Similar to what has been proposed concerning the Tampa Bay Rays.
Joe Henderson: Tampa Bay Rays to split season with Montreal? That’s surreal

message, not the messenger ........... no need for a personal attack.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I did not suggest he should do it, I mentioned that I read that read the scenario, in the paper a couple of days ago.

Similar to what has been proposed concerning the Tampa Bay Rays.
Joe Henderson: Tampa Bay Rays to split season with Montreal? That’s surreal

message, not the messenger ........... no need for a personal attack.
There was no personal attack, I simply stated that you have made this argument multiple times in the past and have completely ignored everyone telling you that it will not happen. So guess what, you brinigning it up again doesn't change the fact nor does it scare anyone.

Reactions: Alex1234

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There was no personal attack, I simply stated that you have made this argument multiple times in the past and have completely ignored everyone telling you that it will not happen. So guess what, you brinigning it up again doesn't change the fact nor does it scare anyone.

Again .......... I did not suggest he should do it, I mentioned that I read that read the scenario, in the paper a couple of days ago.

BTW you are NOT "everyone"

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Bettman will have a solution to that issue by the time Tkachuk gets there

Why does everybody think Bettman will step in? Doesn't having a small market team around to lose to the big market teams gain more league revenue than the reverse? As long as the tv revenues are locked in, there is cash flow and no chance of a low rated, deflating for the league chance that the Sens will muck up the playoffs and knock off the big sellers. Keeps talent in the big markets too to have Cheapo move his stars out every few years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Its fairly obvious with every move that is made its all about money and the rebuild is B.S.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Why bother?

Chabot could be traded for a 6th round pick and a used jockstrap, and the same handful of people will defend it as a great move. There is no use trying to talk sense to a potted plant.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Why bother?

Chabot could be traded for a 6th round pick and a used jockstrap, and the same handful of people will defend it as a great move. There is no use trying to talk sense to a potted plant.

Yeah no one does that.

People do however disagree on the value of trades on the hockey forum. I know that concept seems crazy for fans to disagree about subjective hockey transactions, but we live in a wild wild world.

This post was a pointless argument to the extreme, that serves no purpose but to be insulting to people who disagree with you. Pretty petty in my opinion.

You’re better than this.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This isn't news, but it's nice to see national media – even if it's a mercurial columnist like Lambert – picking up on this now.

Senators continue cutting costs to shockingly low levels

"You can’t build a skyscraper on a deteriorating foundation, and Melnyk has been taking a jackhammer to that concrete for years."

I usually dislike Lambert, and nothing in that article should be considered new or surprising to those of us who have followed along the last couple of years. That last line is phenomenal though (and true!).

If the team was slashing the budget while pumping money into "the foundation" of the franchise (POHO, scouting, expanded front office) the light at the end of the tunnel wouldn't seem so far away. It's obviously an entirely different situation as is, given the team has slashed (as much as possible) everywhere.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Nice to see various media outlets taking notice. To the article just posted I like the point of Melnyks savings not going towards anything in the front office either.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Seems a bit silly to be calling PD a puppet X, I mean most people have to follow the policies put in place by their boss. The directive from EM has clearly be to clear cash and slash the budget.

How many of you would stand up and quit your dream job, of which there are only 32 on the planet? None. Instead we’d all beat down, do the best with what we’ve got, blow sunshine everywhere, and hope to God that you can have some measure of success at your mandate, and outlast the bastard above you.

It would be a little presumptuous to assume that PD is al hunky-dory with the team’s financial situation, with EM constantly shooting himself and the team in the foot, and being unable make a trade or sign a deal without being at a serious financial disadvantage.

This rebuild must be amazing for him as he can do what he does best, oversee the collection of quality players and the development them, without having to deal with major financial set backs at each corner.

He still likely has to cut costs where he can, but I makes me wonder whether EM has set a budget for the next few years, and every penny PD saves now he gets to spend later. It would be a neat explanation for saving a million here and a million there.

Personally I figure that we’ll eventually have a thread or two about the yeoman work PD did while trying to keep the franchise afloat during the dark days of the EM ownership years.

Haha, so much intrigue!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Seems a bit silly to be calling PD a puppet X, I mean most people have to follow the policies put in place by their boss. The directive from EM has clearly be to clear cash and slash the budget.

How many of you would stand up and quit your dream job, of which there are only 32 on the planet? None. Instead we’d all beat down, do the best with what we’ve got, blow sunshine everywhere, and hope to God that you can have some measure of success at your mandate, and outlast the bastard above you.

It would be a little presumptuous to assume that PD is al hunky-dory with the team’s financial situation, with EM constantly shooting himself and the team in the foot, and being unable make a trade or sign a deal without being at a serious financial disadvantage.

This rebuild must be amazing for him as he can do what he does best, oversee the collection of quality players and the development them, without having to deal with major financial set backs at each corner.

He still likely has to cut costs where he can, but I makes me wonder whether EM has set a budget for the next few years, and every penny PD saves now he gets to spend later. It would be a neat explanation for saving a million here and a million there.

Personally I figure that we’ll eventually have a thread or two about the yeoman work PD did while trying to keep the franchise afloat during the dark days of the EM ownership years.

Haha, so much intrigue!

I have no doubt that Eugene Melnyk is a terrible person to work for and his fingertips all over the moves this team is making, but if Pierre Dorion thinks that he's going to outlast him, or that he thinks this is helping his career, he's an even bigger idiot than I thought.

For every bottom-5 season, for every bad trade, his stock is dropping lower and lower. At this point, his reputation is worse than John Ferguson Jr's was when he was fired from the Leafs.

His chances of ever getting another GM job are nill.

If PD really did disagree with Melnyk, his best move to preserve the longevity of his career was to quit before trading Karlsson.

We all know that that was a directive from Melnyk, so Dorion could have declined the contract extension and cited "differences in vision".

Then, he would have been a free-agent GM with a great drafting record who was 8 months removed from a ECF final appearance and hadn't yet had any embarrassing press conference. His chances at landing another job would have been high.

Now? He's the GM of a team that's about to finish bottom 5 for 3 years in a row, has traded away 3 superstars in 6 months for poor returns, is running an organization widely panned as a joke, and his press conferences have been meme-worthy. Nobody is hiring him to be a GM again.

At 45, Dorion should have played the long game. Instead, he took an extension, did Melnyk's dirty work, and ruined his career.

And guess what? He's the next scapegoat in line for Melnyk. Good luck to him, but he's not outlasting anyone.

Last edited:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I have no doubt that Eugene Melnyk is a terrible person to work for and his fingertips all over the moves this team is making, but if Pierre Dorion thinks that he's going to outlast him, or that he thinks this is helping his career, he's an even bigger idiot than I thought.

For every bottom-5 season, for every bad trade, his stock is dropping lower and lower. At this point, his reputation is worse than John Ferguson Jr's was when he was fired from the Leafs.

If PD really did disagree with Melnyk, his best move to preserve the longevity of his career was to quit before trading Karlsson.

We all know that that was a directive from Melnyk, so Dorion could have declined the contract extension and cited "differences in vision".

Then, he would have been a free-agent GM with a great drafting record who was 8 months removed from a ECF final appearance and hadn't yet had any embarrassing press conference. His chances at landing another job would have been high.

Now? He's the GM of a team that's about to finish bottom 5 for 3 years in a row, has traded away 3 superstars in 6 months for poor returns, and is running an organization widely panned as a joke. Nobody is hiring him to be a GM again.

At 45, Dorion should have played the long game. Instead, he took an extension, did Melnyk's dirty work, and ruined his career.

And guess what? He's the next scapegoat in line for Melnyk. Good luck to him. He's not outlasting anyone.
I think his press conferences alone are enough to prevent him from ever holding an executive position in the NHL again.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
More experienced GM's with employment options would arguably have walked away long ago, or like the POHO hiring attempts, not entertained the job in the first place.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Now? He's the GM of a team that's about to finish bottom 5 for 3 years in a row, has traded away 3 superstars in 6 months for poor returns, is running an organization widely panned as a joke, and his press conferences have been meme-worthy. Nobody is hiring him to be a GM again.

And guess what? He's the next scapegoat in line for Melnyk. Good luck to him, but he's not outlasting anyone.

Ehhh, I mean good on you for this fabrication, and I understand that it feels a little good inside to believe that any of that is true, but the cold reality is that your entire post was mostly just fantasy. Sorry man.

There is close to zero chance that PD is looked at this way around the league by other team’s management groups.

I suppose the most painful bit is that the foundation for the rebuild looks surprisingly good for year one, with a few more years of picks to go, while D and goaltending look pretty solid, all under oppressive financial constraints. No, other league officials likely don’t share your opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad