News Article: Bullying and Backstabbing: The Ottawa Senators are Pro-Sports' Biggest Mess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It was actually me though releasing the bots at the most opportune time.

In the land of the bots he who has half a nose is king!!!

GrimyForkedDoctorfish-small.gif

It's certainly not like Melnyk or Sens Marketing has a history of missing the mark with comments or actions they take.

We'll see. I find it hard to believe one fan or a group of fans would do this or if they did... that they could keep it a secret.

I mean... even within sports how many teams run those fake proposals, have people in the the stands whose job it is to act up and create excitement or entertainment. Think of all the companies that have been caught stuffing fake reviews on to websites to push their products.

If we're looking at who is likely behind a bunch of fake twitter accounts... the first place to look is not a disgruntled individual looking to sabotage Melnyk or the Senators.

Last edited:
Reactions: Upgrayedd

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It's certainly not like Melnyk or Sens Marketing has a history of missing the mark with comments or actions they take.

We'll see. I find it hard to believe one fan or a group of fans would do this or if they did... that they could keep it a secret.

I mean... even within sports how many teams run those fake proposals, have people in the the stands whose job it is to act up and create excitement or entertainment. Think of all the companies that have been caught stuffing fake reviews on to websites to push their products.
I just don't get this though. It's so obvious and badly executed. What was the purpose? To turn sentiment against the Ottawa media? By creating a few dozen tweets from fake accounts with no followers? That doesn't make much sense to me. And they were all posted at the same time from really obviously fake accounts. It just looks so amateurish and transparent.

Will be very interesting to see if the Sun and Citizen pick up this story.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
How were the Arizona Coyotes able to extend OEL? Lots of empty seats and very unstable ownership in Zona for years and yet, a massive extension for OEL?? Pretty sure even if we only had 1000 fans attending every playoff game during that run, that would have been a few thousand more than the Coyotes have had in years, where did our playoff revenue go? The Coyotes have none, but are still able to retain their players.

Your argument would make sense if there weren't similar situations around the league where there is unstable ownership and an empty building (much emptier than ours).

We already have 2 7+M players , soon to be 3. OEL is one guy. I am not really comparing Ottawa to them because I was assuming , at that time, Karlsson would get Subban money and up. Not to mention the likes of Stone, Turris etc...that needed raises too.

I have always felt that this team could compete with anyone based on a maxed out revenue scenario i.e. full , paid building. I think it will once , or if, that ever happens

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
They were in the middle of lying to everyone about how they wanted and tried to get Karlsson to sign. That lie collapses if they don't dump Hoffman.

...and people say the Melnyk crowd is into conspiracy theories. Come on dude. You are really reaching here

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
The facts speak for themselves. Management lied to everyone all summer long.
Not quite, EK turned down 11m/year. Yes there was no clauses that he needed to sign or the big front loaded contract, but he could have also negotiated like the good guy Stone did. EM does not have the money up front like the new generation contracts are structured. Karlsson knows that and so does Stone. Stone decides to play for a nice lucrative one year and will wait to re sign when EM has the big money up front for the LTD for Stone. EK was not going to bend.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not quite, EK turned down 11m/year. Yes there was no clauses that he needed to sign or the big front loaded contract, but he could have also negotiated like the good guy Stone did. EM does not have the money up front like the new generation contracts are structured. Karlsson knows that and so does Stone. Stone decides to play for a nice lucrative one year and will wait to re sign when EM has the big money up front for the LTD for Stone. EK was not going to bend.
That's a terrible comparison given that their situations. Stone couldn't hold out for the deal he wanted because an arbitrator was going to give him a one year deal if they didn't come to terms. Stone didn't decide to play for a nice one year deal so that Melnyk could have the big money to re-sign, he didn't accept whatever long term deal that was offered and rather than go through the notoriously bad arbitration process signed a one year deal that came to the same projected result.

The team couldn't force Karlsson into a one year deal like they could with Stone, and there's no way Stone signs a one year deal if the arbitration process wasn't there to force it had he declined.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

Management was asked if we were heading towards a rebuild and Dorion went on about the uselessness of labels.

A few months later, a day or so before trading Karlsson, they announced we are in a rebuild.

Reactions: Smash88

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You know, referring to posters on here flippantly as 'bots' is pretty lame in terms of discussion board behaviour. It's just a cheap way of discounting a person and their views in their entirety, and without discussion. I guess dehumanizing them makes it easier for people to post nasty things.

Such a shame what it's become in here. I suppose ownership and management are also responsible for the devolvement of decorum and basic respect in here.

I think you make a good point about calling people bots. When you see it, feel free to report it for moderator review and I'll endeavor to address it whenever I see it as well.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Facts lol

To be clear: I do not believe that keeping Hoffman was a good idea, a trade had to be done.

But instead of taking picks and clearing salary (Tallon said Dorion wouldn't take just picks) which is what you do in a rebuild, they got Boedker. Had they made the move associated with a rebuild it would have done two things:

- Karlsson was 100% gone
- They would have been forced to admit that they decided to go into a rebuild back in February. Meaning they made the decision to trade the best player we ever have had in his prime at a discount a long time ago

The trade was not influenced by the deceit but they also made sure to not have to say the truth

Reactions: Sensung
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino