The Players' Tribune: "Built for Boston" - Brad Marchand

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
By any rational measure, he should never have made it thus far in his career. He shouldn't be scoring 30+ goals and 80+ points

What rational measures are that? That he's short? Short players have succeeded before (Theo Fleury, Martin St. Louis, Mats Näslund, etc.) and will probably continue to do so.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Probably not the case but when he was talking about the real good guy from cole harbor I instantly thought crosby. Pretty crazy how NS has produced 3 top 10 forwards in the NHL this season. Isn't the population like less than one million?

Sid is older than Brad, and always played ahead of his age group, so unlikely to be the case. A guy named Blake Gallagher would have been the best player from Cole Harbour in Marchand's age group, however, no idea if it would have been him or not. Went on to have a nice career at Cornell and a bit of pro hockey.

Agree though, that it is a bit odd that three of the best in the game are from the same small province (same city technically, as both Hammonds Plains and Cole Harbour are part of Halifax).

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Anyone who says they hate him would love to have him on his team.

Nope. Had my fill of similar on the home team. Some reformed. So didn't. Some of what they did could be excused. Some couldn't. But when all of them were clearly being clowns, I'd hide my face in shame. Even if it getting him meant 100% cup win, I'd pass.

The ends don't justify the means, especially in a game. I think the Captain would agree.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
As long as people are emotional creatures, Marchand's style will always be effective.

He is maximing wins for his team in the best way he knows how. Can't fault him in the least for that.

We can stop stupid but then we would have to stop hockey. We want a bit of stupid, and we want different approaches to stupid.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I recall reading this article, which doesn't surprise me of Marchand's tweet below. Not surprised just how close Marchand is to Bergeron. What a beaut Marchand is. LOL This is the type of players you go to war with.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

BTW, in speaking of Patrice, whether after last season's first round exit against Carolina or, recently, the unhappy result against FLA, it is abundantly clear how much respect, and love, Brad has for Patrice Bergeron.

As Marchand states in the Players Tribune, if he didn't do the things he's done in the past -- dirty, weasel, hilarious things -- you wouldn't know his name.

Why?

Because he wouldn't be in the league. That's why. (As Howe once said of his sharp elbows and rough hewn style of play, "It gave me room out there." Time and space, as we say today.)

I won't go into it again here, but the near perfect comparison is with NHL legend Ted Lindsay,

Both undersized. Left wing. Extremely talented.

Dirty. Beyond the pale.

Anything -- anything -- to win.

Beloved in their own building, hated everywhere else.

And if any club or fan could do so, they'd take Brad Marchand in a hot second.

When Patrice moves on, and assuming Brad wants to play without him, which appears to be a question,

Marchand is the natural choice to wear the C over the next few seasons, acting as a bridge between his era and the era to come.

Love me my Brad.

Last edited:

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
and I kinda love seeing tears in his eyes, but he's a player everyone would love to have on their team. He's talented in multiple facets and plays the rat game well. Can't stand him otherwise, but that's why he'd be loved.

Appreciated the way he approached the media when they tried to get him to shit on Tkachuk for stuff the mics caught. Whole new appreciation for him for that.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean, reading that didn't make me feel any more hatred for him or more positivity. It's like newsflash: "people who do awful stuff are still pretty normal human beings with some positive qualities", like I get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad