Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Do you really think we need Eichel? IMHO not. 10 millions ... sorry not. Vegas was in the final with the pair Karlsson-Eakin, simply it has good wingers and system of play. have very good TOP 9 is more important than one 10 million player especially if he isn`t a superstar.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Las Vegas TOP 6 centers were Karlsson and Eakin it was in SC final. Roslovic has improved and Domi too. Laine didn't play in Domi and the line Grigorenko--Rislovic--Laine was in defense good. Yesterday although he didn't have his day he didn't have problem to pass when Detroit's player use for forchecking. Only I hope I won't Grigorenko in this line more.

William Karlsson is a two-way beast that can match up with any opponent. If you think Roslovic or Domi are capable of that then you are blind to half of the ice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Maybe think about a blockbuster with Buffalo if talks with Werenski doesnt go well?

Zach Werenski RFA 2022 5M
Max Domi UFA 2022 5,3M
Gavrikov UFA 2023 2,8M
Toronto 1st 2021
Tampa 1st 2021

for

Jack Eichel UFA 2026 10M
Rasmus Ristolainen UFA 2022 5,4M

Domi - Ristolainen is basically a wash. so its

Werenski
Gavrikov
2 x 1st rounders albeit late ones

for

Eichel

That leaves them with Dahlin, Werenski, McCabe, and Gavrikov on the left side, and big problems everywhere else. Unbalanced.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
To me all the talk of building for next year might be avoiding the real issue and that is building for the future. The key to that is getting Jones signature on an extension as soon as possible.

It's obviously pivotal but I'm not sure what we can debate about it? We need Seth to want to commit here, that's all that can be said.

Reactions: LJ7201

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
William Karlsson is a two-way beast that can match up with any opponent. If you think Roslovic or Domi are capable of that then you are blind to half of the ice.
That's right but Eakin isn't extra in offense. And Domi with Roslovic are very good. If to Domi a very good defensive winger it wouldn't be bad. Especially if we would play offensive system.
But my mean was we needn't Eichel maybe Stastny would be ideal. Young centers could learn from him he's very good in defense. And still an important thing we have problems with sign UFA players so we often have to use our in the system more than others teams.

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Maybe think about a blockbuster with Buffalo if talks with Werenski doesnt go well?

Zach Werenski RFA 2022 5M
Max Domi UFA 2022 5,3M
Gavrikov UFA 2023 2,8M
Toronto 1st 2021
Tampa 1st 2021

for

Jack Eichel UFA 2026 10M
Rasmus Ristolainen UFA 2022 5,4M

Domi - Ristolainen is basically a wash. so its

Werenski
Gavrikov
2 x 1st rounders albeit late ones

for

Eichel
What?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's right but Eakin isn't extra in offense. And Domi with Roslovic are very good. If to Domi a very good defensive winger it wouldn't be bad. Especially if we would play offensive system.
But my mean was we needn't Eichel maybe Stastny would be ideal. Young centers could learn from him he's very good in defense. And still an important thing we have problems with sign UFA players so we often have to use our in the system more than others teams.

Stastny is slowing down markedly in recent months. He is going to need just as much sheltering as our one-way boys (Domi, Ros, etc...). We need a center who has the speed, smarts, and strength to handle opponents' best.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Stastny is slowing down markedly in recent months. He is going to need just as much sheltering as our one-way boys (Domi, Ros, etc...). We need a center who has the speed, smarts, and strength to handle opponents' best.
O.K. find me him. Of course forgot UFA players. And please, not Eichel. Let him play in Rangers.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
O.K. find me him. Of course forgot UFA players. And please, not Eichel. Let him play in Rangers.
Danault, in free agency. Possibly Backlund, via trade. Potentially others.

I not only agree that we can manage without going for Eichel, I think we'll have to - we don't have the sorts of assets Buffalo is going to want.

Reactions: rotsbu

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Roster To do list, starting in house:

0. Assume we lose Robinson in the expansion draft.

1. Sign Seth Jones. Ideally 6-8 years 8-10 million per season. Hopefully he's a nice guy and gives us an extreme discount in the neighborhood of 8.5. Slap the C on him, and establish a new identity with the new coach.

2. Sign Patrik Laine to his QO for one year and see where it goes. Or, explore trade options if a 1C becomes available for him. Ideally you keep him but all options are on the table.

3. Pick your goalie of the future. I think it'll be Elvis. So if we go off that assumption, I don't believe Korpi will return much. I would say a 2nd round pick, since we don't have one, would do the trick. But I hold out hope he can be a sweetener in a deal for a center or top 6 forward.(Probably after expansion)

4. Let Grigorenko and Stenlund walk. Retain Matteau, Dalpe, Macinnis, and Sherwood for AHL depth. Tell Sherwood this is his last chance and the only path to an NHL career is to start throwing his body and becoming Josh Anderson (as far as physicality). Sign Texier and Peeke to 2 year extensions.

5. Keep Bayruether for depth, and one of Lehtonen/MDZ. Explore trade options if possible for Carlsson and Harrington and dump one of them, ideally Harrington but more likely Carlsson. Kukan too if you get anything decent. Hold firm on keeping Werenski/Jones/Gavrikov.

6. Get a top 6 center. Either via trade, UFA, or whatever.

7. Get a 2nd pairing defenseman. There are plenty of capable defenseman on the market.

8. Acquire bottom pairing/bottom 6 "identity" type players. At least one or two. By identity players I mean guys like Calvert who won't put up stats but can help establish the new order. There are usually plenty of guys like this in UFA. This includes the return of Nick Foligno.

Nyquist-Top 6 Center-Laine
Domi-Roslovic-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Texier-Atkinson
Identity player/Jenner-Identity player/Jenner-Bemstrom/Foudy/Sherwood/Other identity players

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Top 4 fill in
MDZ/Kukan/Carlsson/Lehtonen-Peeke

Elvis
Matiss/UFA fill in

This roster isn't spectacular but I think its a bubble team, and this is just using the method of signing guys since its hard to factor in trades.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Not a bad roster.

I feel like we should protect Robinson. I think he's much more important to us than his boxcar stats would suggest.

Don’t see how we do it without exposing someone we don’t want to

Have to protect: Atkinson (NMC/NTC), Bjorkstrand
Protect: Laine, Roslovic, Jenner, Domi, Nyquist
Exempt: Texier, Bemstrom

I mean I guess we could expose Nyquist, but would you rather keep Nyquist or Robinson? I’d pick Nyquist.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Don’t see how we do it without exposing someone we don’t want to

Have to protect: Atkinson (NMC/NTC), Bjorkstrand
Protect: Laine, Roslovic, Jenner, Domi, Nyquist
Exempt: Texier, Bemstrom

I mean I guess we could expose Nyquist, but would you rather keep Nyquist or Robinson? I’d pick Nyquist.

If be thrilled if they took Domi off our hands. We won't have to worry about him sabotaging another season of ours.

Cam doesn't have an NMC by the way, and he has a bad contract for another four years. I'm not worried about him being claimed.

If I'm as confident that they won't claim Nyquist, then he might be exposed. But I'm not as sure, so I'd prefer not to risk it.

There's no need to lose Robinson.

Reactions: Bookker

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
If be thrilled if they took Domi off our hands. We won't have to worry about him sabotaging another season of ours.

Cam doesn't have an NMC by the way, and he has a bad contract for another four years. I'm not worried about him being claimed.

If I'm as confident that they won't claim Nyquist, then he might be exposed. But I'm not as sure, so I'd prefer not to risk it.

There's no need to lose Robinson.

I get Domi sucked this year but you have to try to make it work. Just throw a mulligan at this season for him. He brings something we need.

I would assume Cam would get pretty pissed if we exposed him given everything he's done for the team and being one of the only loyal ones remaining. Not that I think that should be a reason to keep him, but it is a bad look. My bad I thought he had protection. I don't think he'll be exposed.

Robinson is fine but he's not moving any needles and is replaceable. I'm certainly not losing a different asset to entice Seattle to take someone else.

I'd say its between Robinson, Kukan, and Carlsson with a major lean to Robinson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I get Domi sucked this year but you have to try to make it work. Just throw a mulligan at this season for him. He brings something we need.

I would assume Cam would get pretty pissed if we exposed him given everything he's done for the team and being one of the only loyal ones remaining. Not that I think that should be a reason to keep him, but it is a bad look. My bad I thought he had protection. I don't think he'll be exposed.

Robinson is fine but he's not moving any needles and is replaceable. I'm certainly not losing a different asset to entice Seattle to take someone else.

I'd say its between Robinson, Kukan, and Carlsson with a major lean to Robinson.

Robinson tilts the ice in our favor when he's out there. If he was so easily replaceable he wouldn't be the only player on the team not getting badly outscored.

You don't have to do anything with Domi. He's just a reclamation project at this point. Jarmo can get a different one and let some other team try their luck with Domi.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Danault, in free agency. Possibly Backlund, via trade. Potentially others.

I not only agree that we can manage without going for Eichel, I think we'll have to - we don't have the sorts of assets Buffalo is going to want.
O.K. and now who would prefer Columbus before even the same offer from another team. Maybe even lower.

Eichel - do we know if want to play for us? That`s very important.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Draft rules

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

Nyquist is on IR the whole seasonn. It was only 56 games but this season doesn`t more games. Is it possibility to protect him without losing Robinson?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'd add signing Werenski long term as soon after July1 (or as adjusted). If he is reluctant/refuses to sign then I think you seriously have to consider him a trade asset. I get he is still an RFA after next year but then he becomes harder to trade other than as a rental at the 2023 TDL.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
A great 1C will make his wingers better. Just I don't think we can get one, so if one (Eichel) was available I would probably give up more than market value.

As others have said we don't need a 1C, but in that case you better have some really good wingers and to be brutally honest I don't know if we have those. We have Bjork and behind him I still think it's a lot of assorted parts. Some are young and can grow, others have specific talents but none of them are guys IMO that can consistently carry a forward line.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Roster To do list, starting in house:

0. Assume we lose Robinson in the expansion draft.

1. Sign Seth Jones. Ideally 6-8 years 8-10 million per season. Hopefully he's a nice guy and gives us an extreme discount in the neighborhood of 8.5. Slap the C on him, and establish a new identity with the new coach.

2. Sign Patrik Laine to his QO for one year and see where it goes. Or, explore trade options if a 1C becomes available for him. Ideally you keep him but all options are on the table.

3. Pick your goalie of the future. I think it'll be Elvis. So if we go off that assumption, I don't believe Korpi will return much. I would say a 2nd round pick, since we don't have one, would do the trick. But I hold out hope he can be a sweetener in a deal for a center or top 6 forward.(Probably after expansion)

4. Let Grigorenko and Stenlund walk. Retain Matteau, Dalpe, Macinnis, and Sherwood for AHL depth. Tell Sherwood this is his last chance and the only path to an NHL career is to start throwing his body and becoming Josh Anderson (as far as physicality). Sign Texier and Peeke to 2 year extensions.

5. Keep Bayruether for depth, and one of Lehtonen/MDZ. Explore trade options if possible for Carlsson and Harrington and dump one of them, ideally Harrington but more likely Carlsson. Kukan too if you get anything decent. Hold firm on keeping Werenski/Jones/Gavrikov.

6. Get a top 6 center. Either via trade, UFA, or whatever.

7. Get a 2nd pairing defenseman. There are plenty of capable defenseman on the market.

8. Acquire bottom pairing/bottom 6 "identity" type players. At least one or two. By identity players I mean guys like Calvert who won't put up stats but can help establish the new order. There are usually plenty of guys like this in UFA. This includes the return of Nick Foligno.

Nyquist-Top 6 Center-Laine
Domi-Roslovic-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Texier-Atkinson
Identity player/Jenner-Identity player/Jenner-Bemstrom/Foudy/Sherwood/Other identity players

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Top 4 fill in
MDZ/Kukan/Carlsson/Lehtonen-Peeke

Elvis
Matiss/UFA fill in

This roster isn't spectacular but I think its a bubble team, and this is just using the method of signing guys since its hard to factor in trades.

If you are set on Korpi being traded, maybe expose him with a side deal worked from Seattle. He'd easily be the best goalie available.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Draft rules

* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

Nyquist is on IR the whole seasonn. It was only 56 games but this season doesn`t more games. Is it possibility to protect him without losing Robinson?
Note the "career-threatening" part. That clause was added for the Vegas draft for folks like Nathan Horton and/or David Clarkson - they were under contract but would never play another NHL game. That is almost certainly not true of Nyquist.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Note the "career-threatening" part. That clause was added for the Vegas draft for folks like Nathan Horton and/or David Clarkson - they were under contract but would never play another NHL game. That is almost certainly not true of Nyquist.
Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury)

So Nyquist could be. The true there`s 60 games and this season had only 56 games. It would be interesting if we can use it. If not I prefer Robinson. Yes Gustav is better but nobody knows hos his injury may affect on his play in the future.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury)

So Nyquist could be. The true there`s 60 games and this season had only 56 games. It would be interesting if we can use it. If not I prefer Robinson. Yes Gustav is better but nobody knows hos his injury may affect on his play in the future.
I guess the point is, if that applies, then Nyquist is basically getting the Dubinsky treatment - he'd be on LTIR for the rest of his contract, period, and probably would not be playing professional hockey again. That's what the rule was intended for, and the NHL has built enough flexibility into the implementation of that rule (by making it a "may be deemed exempt" rather than "will be deemed exempt) such that I'd bet that's how they'll enforce it.

And I don't believe Nyquist's current injury threatens his career to that degree. Losing a year sucks, and he stands a fair chance of not being as good a player as he was, but that's not the same as not being able to be a player anymore.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think Nyquist qualifies. The "previous 60 consecutive games" isn't limited to this most recent season. Rather, it stretches back into the final games of the 2019-2020 season.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I guess the point is, if that applies, then Nyquist is basically getting the Dubinsky treatment - he'd be on LTIR for the rest of his contract, period, and probably would not be playing professional hockey again. That's what the rule was intended for, and the NHL has built enough flexibility into the implementation of that rule (by making it a "may be deemed exempt" rather than "will be deemed exempt) such that I'd bet that's how they'll enforce it.

And I don't believe Nyquist's current injury threatens his career to that degree. Losing a year sucks, and he stands a fair chance of not being as good a player as he was, but that's not the same as not being able to be a player anymore.
We`ll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad