Proposal: Buffalo - Vancouver

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
No but in a flat cap world it reduces Boeser's value in comparison to relatively equal production.
Can’t really call it “relatively equal production”when Olofsson has 60 career games.

Boeser is better and younger. Olofsson is cheaper.

If Boeser puts his injury issues behind him, this is not even a discussion as to who has more value. It’s Boeser by a landslide.

Reactions: bh53

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
What did Skinner do with Eichel? What did he do without Eichel?

What did Reinhardt do in 17/18 without Eichel? What happened with Eichel for the next two years?

Don't expect Olofsson to be the same player without Jack.

Skinner had nothing last year. Olofsson will be fine.

Boeser, to me has legit 35-40 goal, 75 pt, YOY potential..and he's young.
i mean..he came off kind of a down year but he's only 23 and has a career PPG of 67 points per 82 games. You just dont gamble that away...
Olofsson is older and has only 60 career games played...

Olofsson has 35-40g + ~70pt potential as well. Olofsson has only part of 1 season played but that doesn't really matter, and he is only about a year and 8 months older. You just don't gamble away a player like that with his shot.

Can’t really call it “relatively equal production”when Olofsson has 60 career games.

Boeser is better and younger. Olofsson is cheaper.

If Boeser puts his injury issues behind him, this is not even a discussion as to who has more value. It’s Boeser by a landslide.

Well, Boeser is younger by a bit. You got that part right. Got the cheaper part right too.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Olofsson has 35-40g + ~70pt potential as well. Olofsson has only part of 1 season played but that doesn't really matter, and he is only about a year and 8 months older. You just don't gamble away a player like that with his shot.

Well, Boeser is younger by a bit. You got that part right. Got the cheaper part right too.
If Sabres players were actually as good as their fans think, they might have actually been a playoff team one of these years.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
If Sabres players were actually as good as their fans think, they might have actually been a playoff team one of these years.

Well Skinner was only here for 2 years and had nothing last year, Dahlin again only 2 years and none older than 19.

Olofsson himself was only here for last year. Hard for our players to help make the playoffs when they aren't even on the team/are teenagers/rookies.

Added Hall and Staal, Cozens and Quinn coming up soon with others. Maybe if people actually looked at what the Sabres have now and in the near future instead of always pointing to their recent struggles, they'd realize we're going to have a scary good team.

Also wouldn't trade VO for Brock 1 for 1, even if contracts were the same.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That doesn’t make Olofsson more valuable.

it’s called ROI....

I’m not saying Olofsson is better than Boesser as just 2 players. Though they aren’t that far apart.

now look at production vs salary cap. Olofsson. They were only drafted one yr apart. Olofsson has just one nhl season. I still see improvement with him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Maybe switch the add to Montour. I think people are sleeping on how good a goal scorer Boeser is. If this kid ever figures everything out he’s going to be a nightmare.

OP is close, but Vancouver needs a better add. I think OP was more on track with the Montour mention. Works better cap wise for Buffalo too. Addresses the needs of Vancouver more. People might not agree but in theory there’s a workable deal here.

Plus I’d love to get Boeser out of Vancouver before he becomes a 35-40 goal guy

You're sleeping on how good a goal-scorer Olofsson is. His shot is insane.

Reactions: qqaz

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It means 2.85mil extra spent on a winger equates to 2.85mil that can't be allocated to a position of greater need, when Buffalo can save the 2.85mil by keeping their comparable winger.
Just wow.

No, that has nothing to do with the flat cap. Just say you don’t know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Skinner - Staal - Reinhart as a 2nd line looks good on paper.

Probably the Nucks fans that need convincing more than the Buffalo fans though
Both Buffalo’s and Vancouver’s fan bases seem split if they would make this deal or not.

Some are saying Boeser is more valuable and others are saying Olofsson is the more valuable one.

Boeser is definitely more proven and is a multi dimensional player where Olofsson seems like more of just an offensive forward that needs to work out the defensive part of the game, Boeser also seems to carry better possession numbers as well.

I added Laaksonen because Vancouver would probably want a defensive prospect and it should even out the value if Boeser is indeed more valuable.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Just wow.

No, that has nothing to do with the flat cap. Just say you don’t know what you are talking about.
It has everything to do with a flat cap as the cap is stuck at 81.5 for the next 2 seasons vice being linked to revenue. Most teams are nut to butt against the cap with little operating room so spending an extra 2.85mil for negligible improvement is asinine.

Reactions: qqaz

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
It has everything to do with a flat cap as the cap is stuck at 81.5 for the next 2 seasons vice being linked to revenue. Most teams are nut to butt against the cap with little operating room so spending an extra 2.85mil for negligible improvement is asinine.
That's not what I asked you.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I like Olofsson better, myself. And he's cheaper. But I still don't think Vancouver would make this move. They're not in a place where they want to roll the dice more. They want the sure thing so they can start winning. Why move Boeser?

I think Buffalo, on the other hand, would be happier with their guy. His chemistry with the team is clear, and he completely made their power play. Like, it was all Olofsson. That's a huge change to make for a guy who's more expensive.

Straight up makes no sense. Comparable players that fit best with the team they're already on.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

lol okay there homer
open this up to a poll across all HF and then go find an excuse as to why you lose so that you can sleep at night

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
You're sleeping on how good a goal-scorer Olofsson is. His shot is insane.

Chronic under-valuing on boards of people who can plain score goals. The guy's release is insane. I'm not saying he's Brett Hull (in our dreams) but guys who can shoot? I just don't think you can teach talent.

There are a lot of homers in Buffalo. I'm sick of them. But this is one case where we actually hit on a 7th rounder. and now we've got him for $3 M for two seasons. Barring serious injury, he's going to score goals. Lots of them. You want to trade Reinhart. Go ahead. Trade anybody not name Dahlin or Eichel but this guy is almost next on my list not to trade. This isn't Mittlestadt or even Cozens. He ripped through the AHL and then came up and did it again in the NHL. He got way better even strength as year went out. If he plays a full season, he's a 30-goal guy. That's not trashing Vancouver guy but he's cheap. And Oskari? Another who knows for sure. He's done nothing beyond Finland but there's just no need to throw him away.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
lol okay there homer
open this up to a poll across all HF and then go find an excuse as to why you lose so that you can sleep at night

Open what up to a poll?

VO vs Brock?

The conservative offensive potential I gave to Olofsson?

I'm confused as to what you were trying to be wrong about.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
and he completely made their power play. Like, it was all Olofsson.

It was all VO/Eichel/Dahlin.

I and I think some others wanted to switch things up a bit instead of being so predictable but I'm surprised it worked as well as it did when everyone knew it was coming.

Olofssons shot is just that good and Eichel/Dahlin are two of the best players. Used Reinhart a bit but our 5th could have been anybody. Can't wait to see Hall there.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It was all VO/Eichel/Dahlin.

I and I think some others wanted to switch things up a bit instead of being so predictable but I'm surprised it worked as well as it did when everyone knew it was coming.

Olofssons shot is just that good and Eichel/Dahlin are two of the best players. Used Reinhart a bit but our 5th could have been anybody. Can't wait to see Hall there.

That PP was a disgrace based on talent on the ice. The whole league knew Oloffson shot was coming half the time and he still scored. But he's no Ovechkin, that's for sure. Olofsson cannot score no matter what but a better run unit (if it actually happens and I'm not sure it will) would lead to more goals. He'll get around 30 with a badly run team. I think he'd get 40-45 with Leafs.

If Brock Boesser is in Buffalo he's a 20 goal 45 point -- our coaching is incompetent and hard to overcome.

I don't know if this makes me a homer or what but every year I watch the same PP where Eichel is the only dude who can gain the zone. It's pathetic. Doing well in this system is a miracle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad