Proposal: Buffalo - Vancouver

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I get it from the Buffalo prospective about trading Olofsson after a good rookie season but Boeser is already a proven commodity and the Sabres are desperately looking to get into the playoffs this season, so I believe Boeser could help more in that aspect then Olofsson can.
A Hall-Eichel-Boeser line would be quite interesting to watch.
\

Glad you get it because I don't. Olofsson is a pure scorer and his two-way game looked night and day later in year. And the contract difference is a monster. Laaksonen is no throw in. The kid is late bloomer who is going to put bulk on his frame after growing late. He's 21 and back on track in Finnish leage.

I'd be upset if this deal happened.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
No way would I do that. Buffalo can’t do it. It would put them over the cap. Boesser will be looking for two much on next deal.

Joki isn’t getting moved. End of story.

laaksonen on cap friendly 6-2 175 when drafted. He is 21 to start this season 3yrs after his draft yr. he’s only playing in Europe now due to Covid and season delay.
sure buffalo could move Reinhart...but not for Boesser.
Buffalo wouldn’t be over the cap, they should still have just above 670k if this deal was made.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Boeser was looking like a beast in this highlight from the 17-18 season, if Boeser returns to this form then I could see why Vancouver wouldn’t want to part with him.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Boesers injuries concern me, I would have to have a long hard look at this. It may be a good deal for Vancouver

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Boesers injuries concern me, I would have to have a long hard look at this. It may be a good deal for Vancouver
Boeser looked somewhat like his old self during the playoffs although it seems like he has lost a step in his skating and his shot doesn’t have that pinpoint accuracy it once had but is still a good shot nonetheless.

Boeser seems to have adjusted as his skating has become somewhat methodical and he usually shoots low and to the sides as he try’s to pick his shooting spot more.

Boeser has also developed more into a multidimensional player as he is counted on to play a defensive forward role as times.

Brock wasn’t expect to be the sole goal scorer with Pettersson and Miller on his line to drive the goal scoring.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buffalo wouldn’t be over the cap, they should still have just above 670k if this deal was made.

on cap friendly

buffalo is 12-7-2 at $78M

that is ignoring 2 more forwards , one Cozens and the other some internal pkayer making under $1M

actual cap space available is around $2.8M

the difference between Olofsson and Boesser is more than $3M

spdo the actual math

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
on cap friendly
buffalo is 12-7-2 at $78M
that is ignoring 2 more forwards , one Cozens and the other some internal pkayer making under $1M
actual cap space available is around $2.8M

the difference between Olofsson and Boesser is more than $3M

spdo the actual math
The cap hit difference is 2,825,000 between Boeser and Olofsson.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
hell the f*** no...

Olofsson and Boesser are tThat far apart in objective value.

factor in cap hit, Olofsson has more value. That is before including anything else.

The younger more proven and better player definitely has more value. Boeser would be the 3rd best forward on that mediocre team after Eichel and rental Hall.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Vancouver probably does it if the prospect coming back is a guy like Peterka.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Vancouver probably does it if the prospect coming back is a guy like Peterka.
Vancouver would probably covet a defensive prospect more then an offensive prospect as the defensive cupboard is kinda bear after Juolevi and Rathbone make the Canucks roster.

That is why I added RD Laaksonen instead of one of Buffalo’s forward prospects, also Laaksonen is exempt from the expansion draft.

Boeser should have a little more value then Olofsson since Boeser is the more proven player and due to the fact that Boeser brings other intangibles to the game besides just putting points on the board.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Vancouver would probably covet a defensive prospect more then an offensive prospect as the defensive cupboard is kinda bear after Juolevi and Rathbone make the Canucks roster.

That is why I added RD Laaksonen instead of one of Buffalo’s forward prospects, also Laaksonen is exempt from the expansion draft.

Boeser should have a little more value then Olofsson since Boeser is the more proven player and due to the fact that Boeser brings other intangibles to the game besides just putting points on the board.

RW is also a very weak position for the Canucks. After Boeser and Virtanen it gets real thin. Even Virtanen isn’t a surefire top sixer.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
RW is also a very weak position for the Canucks. After Boeser and Virtanen it gets real thin. Even Virtanen isn’t a surefire top sixer.
I know Olofsson is a LW but is listed RW as a secondary position on some websites including cap friendly.

Olofsson would have to switch to RW if he played in Vancouver also Podkolzin is listed as RW but won’t be making his debut in a Canucks sweater until 21-22 at the earliest.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
hell the f*** no...

Olofsson and Boesser are tThat far apart in objective value.

factor in cap hit, Olofsson has more value. That is before including anything else.

Some fans don't seem to get how key cap is now.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
What did Skinner do with Eichel? What did he do without Eichel?

What did Reinhardt do in 17/18 without Eichel? What happened with Eichel for the next two years?

Don't expect Olofsson to be the same player without Jack.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
No disrespect to Olofsson, i think the deal is close in value but BUF wins this one by a bit.
Boeser, to me has legit 35-40 goal, 75 pt, YOY potential..and he's young.
i mean..he came off kind of a down year but he's only 23 and has a career PPG of 67 points per 82 games. You just dont gamble that away...
Olofsson is older and has only 60 career games played... i hope he keeps doing well but this deal favors Buf at this point. Another piece needs to go to Van imo to help even out the Value

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Maybe switch the add to Montour. I think people are sleeping on how good a goal scorer Boeser is. If this kid ever figures everything out he’s going to be a nightmare.

OP is close, but Vancouver needs a better add. I think OP was more on track with the Montour mention. Works better cap wise for Buffalo too. Addresses the needs of Vancouver more. People might not agree but in theory there’s a workable deal here.

Plus I’d love to get Boeser out of Vancouver before he becomes a 35-40 goal guy

Last edited:

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I was kinda torn when making this proposal because I realize that Vancouver would probably want a 2nd pairing defensemen or a winger of close to equal value with a slightly less hit then Boeser has so I thought about Montour but then seen that he is UFA so there’s a possibility that he wouldn’t resign with Vancouver so the risk is too high and Vancouver already has an offensive defenseman in Quinn Hughes so Montour probably wouldn’t fit.

I also thought on Jokiharju but I believe Buffalo sees him as a future top 4 piece to build around defensively and the ask might be slightly higher for Joker.

Olofsson makes less then Boeser and that could come into play next offseason as Pettersson and Hughes contracts are up and will mostly likely be due significant raises in their new contracts so Vancouver might need as much saving as they can find. Buffalo on the other hand has a little room on their cap and should be able to fit Boeser in nicely with Hall and Eichel on the top line.

Laaksonen is valued by Buffalo’s fans and is one of their best defensive prospects but Laaksonen does need to develop more and build his frame up before coming over to North America, Laaksonen could be seen as a future top 4 defenseman but has atleast 2 more seasons of development in Finland.

Good point on Montour being a pending UFA but what he was willing to agree on an extension. Lots of players probably open to some job security at this point.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I get it from the Buffalo prospective about trading Olofsson after a good rookie season but Boeser is already a proven commodity and the Sabres are desperately looking to get into the playoffs this season, so I believe Boeser could help more in that aspect then Olofsson can.
A Hall-Eichel-Boeser line would be quite interesting to watch.

Skinner - Staal - Reinhart as a 2nd line looks good on paper.

Probably the Nucks fans that need convincing more than the Buffalo fans though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad