Proposal: Buffalo - Vancouver

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
:sabresAcquires: RW Brock Boeser

:nucksAcquires: LW/RW Victor Olofsson and RD Oskari Laaksonen

Buffalo gets a younger player 23yrs old and great shooter in Boeser but at a higher cap hit.

Vancouver gets a player in Olofsson at 25yrs old that also has a great shot but comes at a lesser cap hit then Boeser, the Canucks also get a defensive prospect.

Buffalo is in a position that where they are trying desperately to get into the playoffs and adding Boeser’s talent up front could help but losing Vancouver losing Boeser would be offset in a way by adding a player in Olofsson that had a good rookie season and could get even better while also adding a defensive prospect.

Vancouver also lost some important players in the offseason and could be in for a slight retool especially factoring in extensions for Pettersson and Quinn Hughes next offseason while also bringing in young prospects in Hoglander, Podkolzin and Kole Lind.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I fail to see the benefit for Vancouver here.
I fail to see the benefit for Buffalo. Boeser is more proven but is almost 2.8mil extra per season, while Olofsson scored more goals in fewer games
Both players bring different intangibles to the game but they both have great shots, I believe the difference could be in contract negotiations as both are RFA’s at the end of their deals.

Boeser also looked good during the playoffs but I could see why some might not like his game as more recently Boeser has looked more methodical in his game since recovering from his back injury but during the playoffs has seemed to of shaken off any ill effects of recovery.

Olofsson had a fine rookie season but could Victor produce more then he did last season as a rookie or is that the closest where Olofsson tops out as far as production goes, also have seen some knock his defensive positioning sometimes but every rookie makes a mistake here or there so I don’t count that against Olofsson as the season as a whole looked good for Olofsson’s all around game.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
I think the guys Van would be looking at would be Jokiharju, Maybe Montour to a lesser extent. Seems like the teams could be decent trading partners. Had to look up Laaksonen, Elite Prospects says he is 6'2 but only 165 pounds. And I thought Pettersson was skinny

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
It’s not awful, but I see both sides saying no. Idk Vancouver’s cap situation, but unless they’re really hurting and Boeser is one of their only moveable pieces I don’t see why they take this risk. For Buffalo Olofsson is found gold, one of our few bright spots last season- I’d think they want to gauge his play another season before selling. He could be better or worse than he showed in his rookie year, but he improved so much in that time it makes little sense to trade him.

Reactions: seagull

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I think the guys Van would be looking at would be Jokiharju, Maybe Montour to a lesser extent. Seems like the teams could be decent trading partners. Had to look up Laaksonen, Elite Prospects says he is 6'2 but only 165 pounds. And I thought Pettersson was skinny
I was kinda torn when making this proposal because I realize that Vancouver would probably want a 2nd pairing defensemen or a winger of close to equal value with a slightly less hit then Boeser has so I thought about Montour but then seen that he is UFA so there’s a possibility that he wouldn’t resign with Vancouver so the risk is too high and Vancouver already has an offensive defenseman in Quinn Hughes so Montour probably wouldn’t fit.

I also thought on Jokiharju but I believe Buffalo sees him as a future top 4 piece to build around defensively and the ask might be slightly higher for Joker.

Olofsson makes less then Boeser and that could come into play next offseason as Pettersson and Hughes contracts are up and will mostly likely be due significant raises in their new contracts so Vancouver might need as much saving as they can find. Buffalo on the other hand has a little room on their cap and should be able to fit Boeser in nicely with Hall and Eichel on the top line.

Laaksonen is valued by Buffalo’s fans and is one of their best defensive prospects but Laaksonen does need to develop more and build his frame up before coming over to North America, Laaksonen could be seen as a future top 4 defenseman but has atleast 2 more seasons of development in Finland.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
It’s not awful, but I see both sides saying no. Idk Vancouver’s cap situation, but unless they’re really hurting and Boeser is one of their only moveable pieces I don’t see why they take this risk. For Buffalo Olofsson is found gold, one of our few bright spots last season- I’d think they want to gauge his play another season before selling. He could be better or worse than he showed in his rookie year, but he improved so much in that time it makes little sense to trade him.
I get it from the Buffalo prospective about trading Olofsson after a good rookie season but Boeser is already a proven commodity and the Sabres are desperately looking to get into the playoffs this season, so I believe Boeser could help more in that aspect then Olofsson can.
A Hall-Eichel-Boeser line would be quite interesting to watch.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Olofsson makes less then Boeser and that could come into play next offseason as Pettersson and Hughes contracts are up and will mostly likely be due significant raises in their new contracts so Vancouver might need as much saving as they can find. Buffalo on the other hand has a little room on their cap and should be able to fit Boeser in nicely with Hall and Eichel on the top line.
You don't take into account that Buffalo's cap space will be eaten by Dahlin's bonuses. You also neglect to consider that both Dahlin and Jokiharju are due new contracts next year so that extra 2mil for Boeser doesn't work, especially considering the negligible performance difference over Oloffson

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
You don't take into account that Buffalo's cap space will be eaten by Dahlin's bonuses. You also neglect to consider that both Dahlin and Jokiharju are due new contracts next year so that extra 2mil for Boeser doesn't work, especially considering the negligible performance difference over Oloffson
Not a fan but of either team nor am I an expert. Your right I didn’t take Dahlin’s bonuses into account as there are many things to consider before making a trade of this magnitude.

It’s not entirely out of the possibility that Buffalo couldn’t fit Boeser as Staal, Montour and McCabe are all UFA after the season and if Dahlin’s bonus is the hold up then if Buffalo is out of the playoff race by the deadline Staal, Montour or McCabe could be sold to the highest bidder.

It’s also questionable if Hall will be a one and done in Buffalo so there is that to consider as well, I believe the Sabres should make the most if an opportunity arises to add a significant piece like a Boeser.

Ottobot

Aug 9, 2020
Trading Boeser right now could really screw with contract negotiations. Petterson and Hughes can’t be happy both Toffoli and Tanev just walked (especially for what Toffoli ended up signing for). Nothing about the trade itself, just moving Boeser shouldn’t happen at this point in time.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I get it from the Buffalo prospective about trading Olofsson after a good rookie season but Boeser is already a proven commodity and the Sabres are desperately looking to get into the playoffs this season, so I believe Boeser could help more in that aspect then Olofsson can.
A Hall-Eichel-Boeser line would be quite interesting to watch.

The third player on a Hall-Eichel line could be a complete plug and those 2 would still bank in ~20 goals off him. Not a roster spot worth wasting extra assets or cap space on, especially when we already have a ~30-goal scorer we can plug in there.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
That is indeed what Van would be looking for. Specifically a RD
Oskari Laaksonen is a RD but he won’t be making an impact in North America any time soon due to the fact he still needs time to develop his game in Finland.

When the Sabres drafted Laaksonen in the 3rd round in 2017 nobody really knew who he was as it was an off the board pick by the Sabres at the time but Laaksonen has quietly become one of Buffalo’s top defensive prospects that’s why I added him to the deal incase Olofsson regressed in his sophomore season and it was only fair because Boeser is the more proven player but at a higher cap hit then Olofsson.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I think if Buffalo put Reinhart on the table, it’s an interesting deal. I don’t see Vancouver doing the OP.
That would be a slight downgrade as Reinhart's cap hit is higher then Olofsson’s.

Olofsson also scored at a higher clip with a 0.37 goals per game and a 0.77 points per game totals, Reinhart has never scored over a 0.32 goals per game in a season and has a career average of 0.27 goals per game.

Out of Reinhart’s whole career he scored 0.78 points per game during the 18-19 season the rest of his career has been under Olofsson’s 0.77 points per game average in his rookie season.

Olofsson’s goals per game and points per game average are closer to Boeser then they are to Reinhart.

Boeser’s career goals per game average is 0.38 and career points per game average is 0.82.

Blaine8797

Nov 26, 2018
:sabresAcquires: RW Brock Boeser

:nucksAcquires: LW/RW Victor Olofsson and RD Oskari Laaksonen

Buffalo gets a younger player 23yrs old and great shooter in Boeser but at a higher cap hit.

Vancouver gets a player in Olofsson at 25yrs old that also has a great shot but comes at a lesser cap hit then Boeser, the Canucks also get a defensive prospect.

Buffalo is in a position that where they are trying desperately to get into the playoffs and adding Boeser’s talent up front could help but losing Vancouver losing Boeser would be offset in a way by adding a player in Olofsson that had a good rookie season and could get even better while also adding a defensive prospect.

Vancouver also lost some important players in the offseason and could be in for a slight retool especially factoring in extensions for Pettersson and Quinn Hughes next offseason while also bringing in young prospects in Hoglander, Podkolzin and Kole Lind.
I’m not seeing why Buffalo would do this, they have to add for a player who practically had the same output the season prior but the player they give up had more goals, also they lose cap space in addition, sure brock is more proven but olofsson practically just came into the league and is putting up the same numbers, to me that looks like olofsson will only get better with more experience in the league. While I could be very wrong and he could fall off a cliff it’s unlikely

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think if Buffalo put Reinhart on the table, it’s an interesting deal. I don’t see Vancouver doing the OP.
Or
Buffalo takes the last two years of Loui Erikson. But even then I think Vancouver keeps Boeser. He’s, right now, their only proven top six RW.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No way would I do that. Buffalo can’t do it. It would put them over the cap. Boesser will be looking for two much on next deal.

Joki isn’t getting moved. End of story.

laaksonen on cap friendly 6-2 175 when drafted. He is 21 to start this season 3yrs after his draft yr. he’s only playing in Europe now due to Covid and season delay.

sure buffalo could move Reinhart...but not for Boesser.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
No way would I do that. Buffalo can’t do it. It would put them over the cap. Boesser will be looking for two much on next deal.

Joki isn’t getting moved. End of story.

laaksonen on cap friendly 6-2 175 when drafted. He is 21 to start this season 3yrs after his draft yr. he’s only playing in Europe now due to Covid and season delay.

sure buffalo could move Reinhart...but not for Boesser.

Canucks wouldn't move Boeser for Reinhart 1 for 1 anyway. It'd be a downgrade and Reinhart is up for a contract extension next off-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad