Proposal: Buffalo - Vancouver

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
This would be a great basis for a trade if Vancouver's cap wasn't so f***ed that we had to just let go of three key UFA's because there was no space.

In a world where Jay Beagle, Tyler Myers, Braden Holtby and Loui Eriksson are not Canucks, and Josh Leivo, Tyler Toffoli, Chris Tanev and Jacob Markstrom are, this would have made perfect sense. Move Boeser's higher cap hit for VO + an asset, use the cap savings to sign someone like Granlund or Hoffman to supplement the offense further.

Olofsson - Pettersson - Toffoli
Miller - Horvat - Leivo (shut down line)
Pearson - Gaudette - Granlund (butter soft minutes)
Motte - Sutter - Virtanen

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Schmidt
who cares

Markstrom
Demko

But, alas.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
This would be a great basis for a trade if Vancouver's cap wasn't so f***ed that we had to just let go of three key UFA's because there was no space.

In a world where Jay Beagle, Tyler Myers, Braden Holtby and Loui Eriksson are not Canucks, and Josh Leivo, Tyler Toffoli, Chris Tanev and Jacob Markstrom are, this would have made perfect sense. Move Boeser's higher cap hit for VO + an asset, use the cap savings to sign someone like Granlund or Hoffman to supplement the offense further.

Olofsson - Pettersson - Toffoli
Miller - Horvat - Leivo (shut down line)
Pearson - Gaudette - Granlund (butter soft minutes)
Motte - Sutter - Virtanen

Hughes - Tanev
Edler - Schmidt
who cares

Markstrom
Demko

But, alas.

I agree. Josh Leivo, Chris Tanev and Jacob Markstrom are Flames now. In case you didn't see, all 3 signed with the Flames. All 3.

Reactions: thefutures

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
That PP was a disgrace based on talent on the ice. The whole league knew Oloffson shot was coming half the time and he still scored. But he's no Ovechkin, that's for sure. Olofsson cannot score no matter what but a better run unit (if it actually happens and I'm not sure it will) would lead to more goals. He'll get around 30 with a badly run team. I think he'd get 40-45 with Leafs.

If Brock Boesser is in Buffalo he's a 20 goal 45 point -- our coaching is incompetent and hard to overcome.

I don't know if this makes me a homer or what but every year I watch the same PP where Eichel is the only dude who can gain the zone. It's pathetic. Doing well in this system is a miracle.

If definitely makes you a homer if you believe Boeser (one of the best potential scoring wingers in the league) can’t top 45 points playing with Eichel, Hall, Reinhart, Staal, Dahlin yet managed better with Miller, Petterson, Horvat and Goldobin before he was cut.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Chronic under-valuing on boards of people who can plain score goals. The guy's release is insane. I'm not saying he's Brett Hull (in our dreams) but guys who can shoot? I just don't think you can teach talent.

There are a lot of homers in Buffalo. I'm sick of them. But this is one case where we actually hit on a 7th rounder. and now we've got him for $3 M for two seasons. Barring serious injury, he's going to score goals. Lots of them. You want to trade Reinhart. Go ahead. Trade anybody not name Dahlin or Eichel but this guy is almost next on my list not to trade. This isn't Mittlestadt or even Cozens. He ripped through the AHL and then came up and did it again in the NHL. He got way better even strength as year went out. If he plays a full season, he's a 30-goal guy. That's not trashing Vancouver guy but he's cheap. And Oskari? Another who knows for sure. He's done nothing beyond Finland but there's just no need to throw him away.
Vancouver’s fans were saying that about Boeser not too long ago comparing Boeser to Brett Hull. Olofsson and Boeser have great shots, Olofsson’s shot looks heavy and his release is fast but I’d have to give Boeser the accuracy as Boeser’s release was pretty quick as well before his injury, Boeser just needs his previous strength back.

The difference between Boeser and Olofsson are the other aspects of the game, which I believe makes Brock the better of the two players, also GM’s should have plenty of video and scouting reports now to defend against Olofsson so this season should be interesting if Victor can repeat his numbers from 19-20 or will he have the sophomore slump.

I know Olofsson has a hard shot and comes from the northern Swedish hockey factory of Ornskoldsvik but I believe he has benefited more from playing with Eichel and Reinhart as most of Olofsson’s goals came from Eichel or Reinhart’s stick.

Besides Olofsson’s shot and power play acumen what else does he bring that would benefit a contending team? respectfully asking and referring to Buffalo fans as they would know more then anyone else what Olofsson’s game brings....

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Vancouver’s fans were saying that about Boeser not too long ago comparing Boeser to Brett Hull. Olofsson and Boeser have great shots, Olofsson’s shot looks heavy and his release is fast but I’d have to give Boeser the accuracy as Boeser’s release was pretty quick as well before his injury, Boeser just needs his previous strength back.

The difference between Boeser and Olofsson are the other aspects of the game, which I believe makes Brock the better of the two players, also GM’s should have plenty of video and scouting reports now to defend against Olofsson so this season should be interesting if Victor can repeat his numbers from 19-20 or will he have the sophomore slump.

I know Olofsson has a hard shot and comes from the northern Swedish hockey factory of Ornskoldsvik but I believe he has benefited more from playing with Eichel and Reinhart as most of Olofsson’s goals came from Eichel or Reinhart’s stick.

Besides Olofsson’s shot and power play acumen what else does he bring that would benefit a contending team? respectfully asking and referring to Buffalo fans as they would know more then anyone else what Olofsson’s game brings....

Everyone knew Olofsson's shot was coming on the PP about ~5 games into last season. Still couldn't stop it.
The rest of VO's game is still in progress. He came over from the SHL about as one-dimensional as you can be. Took him 1 season in Rochester to learn how to play a reasonably well-rounded game at the AHL level. Came up to Buffalo and started off as a pure PP weapon, but his game got better as the season went on.

Even if Boeser is measurably better, it's not by a big enough margin to warrant the extra cap and assets over Olofsson.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Everyone knew Olofsson's shot was coming on the PP about ~5 games into last season. Still couldn't stop it.
The rest of VO's game is still in progress. He came over from the SHL about as one-dimensional as you can be. Took him 1 season in Rochester to learn how to play a reasonably well-rounded game at the AHL level. Came up to Buffalo and started off as a pure PP weapon, but his game got better as the season went on.

Even if Boeser is measurably better, it's not by a big enough margin to warrant the extra cap and assets over Olofsson.
Fair enough.
Buffalo does have a good player in Olofsson and if Laaksonen turns out to be an NHL defensemen this proposal could favor the team that has a top 6 winger play can play either side LW/RW and potentially a top 4 RD but Laaksonen has more developing to do before it’s known what Buffalo has in Oskari.

This deal would favor Buffalo in the short term with Boeser shooting and passing with players like Hall and Eichel maybe 2 seasons or more but then if Laaksonen turns out to be a top 4 caliber defenseman then the deal would favor Vancouver in the long run with Olofsson gaining experience with Pettersson as his center and no doubt getting better.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
hell the f*** no...

Olofsson and Boesser are tThat far apart in objective value.

factor in cap hit, Olofsson has more value. That is before including anything else.
Lottery protected I forgot to add

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Oloffson is like Panarin. Because Oloffson entered the league so late, he will have to show consistency to be considered a higher end player. Just don't think Oloffson's value is there yet.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Last year was Boeser's probably best season for his underlying numbers
I'd easily say he is the most valuable piece in this trade.
People here are really underrating Boeser's all around game. He has really developed it over the past few seasons and is far from a 1 dimensional scoring winger.

Coming off his first healthy offseason in a couple of years, I expect a really solid season from Boeser this year.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
People here are really underrating Boeser's all around game. He has really developed it over the past few seasons and is far from a 1 dimensional scoring winger.

Coming off his first healthy offseason in a couple of years, I expect a really solid season from Boeser this year.

I hope so. He's been a shell of his himself ever since his back injury. His reaction time is slow and his accuracy is worse. The traits that made him such a beast in his first season just aren't really there anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad