Confirmed with Link: Buffalo Sabres Buy Out Christian Ehrhoff (Signs with PIT 1 yr $4 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Hopefully there is some truth to the rumour he wants to stay in the East - cuts out some stiff competing bidders.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Good call, Anaheim is a concern. As for Dallas, well I sincerely hope Kenny can make a better pitch than his protege.

Dallas does have a soft internal budget to deal with. They want to stay $6 to $8 million under the cap. Of course, they are currently $20 million under, so they've got room to add some impact players.

Hopefully there is some truth to the rumour he wants to stay in the East - cuts out some stiff competing bidders.

Dallas is also one of the most traveled teams in the league. If he didn't like the miles in Vancouver, he'll find no refuge in Dallas.

J-Swift

Jan 5, 2006
I still wouldn't care for our defense with Ehrhoff on the roster, but it's a huge first step.

Kronwall - Ehrhoff
DeKeyser - Ericsson
Smith - Kindl

Ehrhoff is quite an improvement over Quincey, but that 3rd pairing is still putrid.
Swap in Ouellet for Kindl and we're good to go. I imagine they'll have to move Kindl's contract to make Ehrhoff happen anyway.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Holland's been after Ehrhoff for awhile now, so there is no reason to believe he wouldn't payup to bring him here. He really wanted Weiss and he paid up, so that makes me optimistic that Holland will go hard after him for sure. This is seriously like Christmas because I havent been this excited at our chances to sign a top defender since Suter was a free agent. Honestly if they sign him, just bring up Marchenko or sign a cheap right handed defensman (for a year deal) and our defense will be set. I'll like it even more if we move Kindl.

Then just spend the remaining money after signing Ehr, and Tatar/DeKeyser/Sheahan and get the best posssible foward and i'll like our chances next season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Then just spend the remaining money after signing Ehr, and Tatar/DeKeyser/Sheahan and get the best posssible foward and i'll like our chances next season.

Possibly getting Ehrhoff for no assets really is a game changer for the Wings.

I was always soft on him due to contract length and what it would cost to acquire him, but with all that sorted, things are coming up Milhouse!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ugh. Every time we can all agree we want something. Holland doesn't do it.

Should we go reverse psychology on this one? Lol.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
Possibly getting Ehrhoff for no assets really is a game changer for the Wings.

I was always soft on him due to contract length and what it would cost to acquire him, but with all that sorted, things are coming up Milhouse!

I think its why I'm excited at the thought of signing him, because we wont have to trade one of our prospects for him. This move makes so much sense on so many different levels for Detroit. Holland needs to capitalize on this and sign him for whatever it takes.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ugh. Every time we can all agree we want something. Holland doesn't do it.

Should we go reverse psychology on this one? Lol.

This has Semin all over it, right? Uhh, phrasing. :laugh:

But hey, in that situation the Wings never once had Khan saying they'd make a pitch. At least you know they're going to give him a contract and will subsequently be in the game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This has Semin all over it, right? Uhh, phrasing. :laugh:

But hey, in that situation the Wings never once had Khan saying they'd make a pitch. At least you know they're going to give him a contract and will subsequently be in the game.

Yeah, I meant more doesn't get it done. Not doesn't try.

And I was thinking more Suter. Pretty sure 100% of us wanted Suter.

Semin all over it lolololol.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't like Smith outside of the top 4. I don't think it's good for his development to be on the bottom pair.

I think he played well enough down the stretch to earn a shot there next year.

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
I don't like Smith outside of the top 4. I don't think it's good for his development to be on the bottom pair.

I think he played well enough down the stretch to earn a shot there next year.

I agree there. Kronwall and Smith looked better than Kronwall and Ericsson did.

My lines of choice would be:

Kronwall-Smith
Ehrhoff-Rookie
Ericsson-DeKeyser

The rookie I'd want to be Marchenko (provided he can bounce back from that injury) so you could still have that all-too-important L-R combo and also get the all-too-important OFD/DFD combo.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Ehrhoff is really, really good. Even on an awful team like Buffalo, he was still really, really good. No doubt that he'd be the second best defenseman on this team. We need to sign him. I could drop all the fancy stats on you guys, but I think we're all pretty much in agreement here. But, just so you know, the advanced stats pretty much reinforce what we already know. He basically got the hardest minutes and match ups, and compared to everyone else on his team, did well. Bring him aboard.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ehrhoff
Ericsson-Marchenko

Is what I'd run with for next season.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Apr 7, 2014
I can feel it coming in the Ehrhoff tonight... Even though I've gotta wait two days.

I hope there's a lot of truth to this. I hope Kenny makes a legit tire kick at Ehrhoff.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
It's labeled as a rumor. Take it as that.

He's a Denver Post blogger with a confirmed Twitter. I also scanned his Twitter feed for the month and he hasn't posted any outrageous rumors. In fact, this is the only one I could find he wasn't retweeting from a reliable source or that was related to the Avs.

Unless I can see some kind of example where he's deliberately made something up, I'm not sure why this doesn't fly as something he could have heard through the grapevine.

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 2 t
Sam Gagner: "I'm certainly excited to prove some people wrong this year."

Adrian Dater
‏@adater
@CraigCustance same thing he said last two years

Adrian Dater @adater · 5 t
As long as you're OK with one good game followed by four mediocre ones, Sam Gagner is your man, Lightning fans

Adrian Dater @adater · 27. june
@9AvsFan I really don't think Hemsky fits Roy profile

Adrian Dater @adater · 5 t
Hemsky is an Avs targeted player, I'm fairly certain. Almost like being a little bit pregnant

also this interview. esp. starting at 34 mins. enjoy but don't take it seriously.

just few examples. you can ask avs mods how reliable he is if you don't believe me.

edit. lol haha. i'm fine with that.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I gave 7M to the 3 RFAs and then 6M to Erhoff. Left me with 1.7M. But if you waived/traded Lashoff, Kindl, Andersson, Glendening you could end up with anywhere from 3M to 4M. And again, that's with what I consider conservative numbers. Judging from Nyquist's contract last year, I don't think our RFAs get over 6.5M and probably end up more like 6M.

Basically, if you cut the fat on a couple of players, we could have plenty of money for RFAs, Erhoff, and a forward either Iginla or Alfie. I'm way too excited about this. I hope Kenny gives us something to celebrate.

Yeah, I think you're right. Holland generally plays it pretty conservatively with RFAs so I don't see this being any different.

That said, sign Ehrhoff Holland!

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
"The price was too high on Ehrhoff, but I drove by the morgue and got a great deal on Ed Jovanovski."

Kenneth Holland

If Ehrhoff doesn't get signed, I will be very sad.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
"The price was too high on Ehrhoff, but I drove by the morgue and got a great deal on Ed Jovanovski."

Kenneth Holland

If Ehrhoff doesn't get signed, I will be very sad.

If his agent is reasonable, I see a deal getting done. But if he's looking for 5 or 6 years at 6M+ I could see Kenny passing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad