GDT: Buffalo Sabres at St Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
If Miller resigns long-term, wouldn't that potential be wasted here? Whoever the backup is, they will only play 15-20 games a year. If Allen wants to be a true #1, he will have to find another team to do it on.

If Miller doesn't resign, then by all means run with Elliott and Allen as a tandem. I wouldn't really trust either one, but I suppose it's better than no one.

The only reason I would advocate Elliott over Allen as a true backup is because it seems that the fewer games Elliot plays, the better he seems to be. (At least, based on the eye test. If anyone can dispute me with stats, please let me know.) With Allen, you just don't know.

The biggest variable would be the cost of Elliott vs Allen. Financially, we may have to go with Allen if we resign Miller and potentially sign Stastny.

Miller is 33. Jake Allen is 23. Allen was never being handed the starter job next year and it's just fine to give him the back up role to Miller for a couple years to let him continue developing. If he can steal it from Miller in a few years, great.

Not sure where the "Allen needs to be #1 with 14 NHL games played" business comes from.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Miller only has two real options if he is dead set on winning a cup and being closer to his wife. Anaheim and St. Louis. With that, the Blues aren't going to resign Elliott, who'd probably command about 2.5 mil per year, with Allen waiting and on a one-way deal next year. When, yes I said when, the Blues resign Miller, Allen will be the back-up. I can't think of a better goaltender playing right now for him to learn from, short of J. Quick. As Miller gets older, Allen will play more. Bishop didn't fully break out of his shell until 28 years old. J. Quick didn't until about the same age. Most goalies don't. Allen will be fine waiting in the wings.

RichManitoba

Sep 4, 2009
Madison, WI
Bummed about the goal in the last minute. Glad for the win.

I was watching the game on Center Ice. 2 TIMES in the final 3 minutes your PBP guy John Kelly mentioned a shut out in one way or another. Not a word from Panger, he probably passed out. Coming from a hockey family, Kelly should know better!! :shakehead

As a goalie dad, I was yelling "SHUT UP" so much my wife had to shut ME up! I know it's generally a bunch of whoey, but it happens more often than not!

Sniper

It's learning...
Jun 11, 2003
Colorado
Visit site
Miller is 33. Jake Allen is 23. Allen was never being handed the starter job next year and it's just fine to give him the back up role to Miller for a couple years to let him continue developing. If he can steal it from Miller in a few years, great.

Not sure where the "Allen needs to be #1 with 14 NHL games played" business comes from.

I don't think anyone is talking about Allen becoming a bonafide starter next year. At worst (or best, depending on your POV), Allen will play somewhere around 25-30 games in a tandem situation with Elliott unless Allen absolutely kills it.

My questions are who will be the more effective backup playing only 15 games a year for a few years sitting behind Miller. Allen or Elliott? If it's Allen, will his potential as a starter be wasted playing so few games for 2-3-4-5 years?

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
If Miller resigns long-term, wouldn't that potential be wasted here? Whoever the backup is, they will only play 15-20 games a year. If Allen wants to be a true #1, he will have to find another team to do it on.

If Miller doesn't resign, then by all means run with Elliott and Allen as a tandem. I wouldn't really trust either one, but I suppose it's better than no one.

The only reason I would advocate Elliott over Allen as a true backup is because it seems that the fewer games Elliot plays, the better he seems to be. (At least, based on the eye test. If anyone can dispute me with stats, please let me know.) With Allen, you just don't know.

The biggest variable would be the cost of Elliott vs Allen. Financially, we may have to go with Allen if we resign Miller and potentially sign Stastny.
I see it the same way. I've watched Allen, Halak and Elliott all play behind this team. I was more comfortable with Allen in net than I was with Elliott or Halak. I've watched Allen play in the AHL this season, he is playing phenomenal. If he continues on the path he is on right now, he will be ready to be our number one at the end of next season. I can't recall completely, but didn't Miller give Buffalo a list of teams he would accept a trade to? You have to think he'd be willing to re-sign or sign an extension with us if he put us on a list. But where does this leave Allen? Surely not the number one. We didn't trade for Miller and we won't sign him to an extension only to have him play 65% percent of the games.

I think it is fair to call it wasted potential, just like Bishop. Also could build a better team with the cap savings or just not spend the money (I can't argue with that).

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
I see it the same way. I've watched Allen, Halak and Elliott all play behind this team. I was more comfortable with Allen in net than I was with Elliott or Halak. I've watched Allen play in the AHL this season, he is playing phenomenal. If he continues on the path he is on right now, he will be ready to be our number one at the end of next season. I can't recall completely, but didn't Miller give Buffalo a list of teams he would accept a trade to? You have to think he'd be willing to re-sign or sign an extension with us if he put us on a list. But where does this leave Allen? Surely not the number one. We didn't trade for Miller and we won't sign him to an extension only to have him play 65% percent of the games.

I think it is fair to call it wasted potential, just like Bishop. Also could build a better team with the cap savings or just not spend the money (I can't argue with that).

He had a list of 6 what he wouldn't accept a trade to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad