Buffalo Sabres are in a free fall

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
It’s possible that neither Housley nor Krueger are very good coaches.
Oh I agree its possible (I honestly never watched Sabres games enough to have any sort of opinion on Housley's coaching abilities).

I was just trying to remind everyone of all those threads where the Sabres fans droned on and on about how good their team was on paper but Housley's horrible coaching was what was holding them back. Especially now that the Sabres arguably have a better roster and yet they're still terrible and ol'Phil is the assistant coach of Arizona - a terrible team that is currently 2nd in their division.

Maybe Buffalo just has poor tap water quality.

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
Predictable. Schedule wise they had an easy October and a gauntlet of a November. But it is concerning when they get dummied by the worst team in the league. They're a bottom 10 team IMO, but you at least have to compete with and usually beat out the fellow bottom 10s.

Yea...you sure predicted that...:rolleyes:
The Sabres look really good

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
We are really missing our core lineup right now we have 4 forwards and two defensemen hurt right now and it's showing. We can't generate consistent pressure like we used to earlier in the year.

The Sabres aren't this bad, but we don't have the depth to offset the injuries we are facing

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Oh I agree its possible (I honestly never watched Sabres games enough to have any sort of opinion on Housley's coaching abilities).

I was just trying to remind everyone of all those threads where the Sabres fans droned on and on about how good their team was on paper but Housley's horrible coaching was what was holding them back. Especially now that the Sabres arguably have a better roster and yet they're still terrible and ol'Phil is the assistant coach of Arizona - a terrible team that is currently 2nd in their division.

Maybe Buffalo just has poor tap water quality.

Look, let's clear at least one thing up here: Housley is steaming hot garbage. Maybe he's not a complete trainwreck as an assistant with a limited coaching role, but the guy's defensive "system" was an unmitigated disaster. Even players who were solid defensively before and after Housley under a number of other HCs (e.g., Scandella) routinely looked like peewee ice clowns trying to do what he told them to.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
They need Trever Lewis and Toffoli. They Immediately become contenders.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
We are really missing our core lineup right now we have 4 forwards and two defensemen hurt right now and it's showing. We can't generate consistent pressure like we used to earlier in the year.

The Sabres aren't this bad, but we don't have the depth to offset the injuries we are facing

Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt, Skinner, Olofsson, Dahlin, Joker, McCabe, Ullmark, and Montour all played last night. What is this "core" you speak of? Is it that guy names Joe Depth I kept hearing about all summer that was the difference maker?

The Avalanche are/were missing their core. Since 10.21 the following have been out indefinitely or for stretches and magically they're sitll 6-6-1 during that time. Good teams find ways to win and bad teams are just bad.

Rantanen, Landeskog, both of of their goalies, Zadorov, Calvert, Jost, Bellemare, Wilson

Last edited:
Reactions: wayninja

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Come on now, a lot of guys turn out to be really capable NHL coaches at 59, unearthed gems......

giphy.gif

Okay, I'm not really laughing, I'm crying...

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
The main lesson I have from my team is not to rush a rebuild. Need to rebuild until a culture is created where veterans resign with the team, RFAs are not looking to cash out and go to UFA as soon as possible and you do not have to overpay for depth guys.

We almost ruined our rebuild after a cinderella season in 13/14. Fortunately we managed to re-rebuild.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
This is the Buffalo special at this point.

Having said that. They're still better than my Leafs at this point so good for them.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
The problem is that we have one elite forward (Eichel) and one top 6 forward (Skinner). That’s it. And they don’t even play together lol.

This team will go nowhere until the top 9 is massively improved. Hopefully Cozens and Mittelstadt are 2 of those pieces.

Reactions: Mortiz

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY

The only injury that hurts is Johansson. The rest are 4th liners.

Which defensemen are you referring to?

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Tanking is overrated.

Don’t create a losing culture then act surprised when your team can’t magically flip a switch just because you draft some talent.

You also need to do more than hit on your #1 and #2 overalls.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like they were just riding a hot power play in October. 2nd best in the league in October and last in the league since?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Let me explain how Edmonton's rebuild went off the rails:

Instead of keeping our key players, and picks and letting them grow. We tried rushing it, and it blew up in our faces.

This is what our lineup would have been had we just been patient:
Draisaitl - McDavid - Kassian
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Barzal - Puljujaarvi
xxxx - xxxx - Pitlick

Klefbom - J.Schultz
Nurse - Bear
Gustafsson - Petry

Dubnyk
Koskinen

In an effort to provide veteran leadership, we decided to sign for a LOT of money:
Andrew Ferrence
Milan Lucic
Benoit Pouliot
Sekera

Buffalo should have kept RoR.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
The problem is that we have one elite forward (Eichel) and one top 6 forward (Skinner). That’s it. And they don’t even play together lol.

This team will go nowhere until the top 9 is massively improved. Hopefully Cozens and Mittelstadt are 2 of those pieces.

I think not considering Reinhart a top-6 forward is pretty ridiculous.

But yeah we have 3 top-6 forwards, maybe 4 or 5 top-9 forwards.

And 10+ D capable of playing in the NHL...and Botts continues to sit on his hands.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
League parity means if you are now at .500 or higher, you still have a chance at the playoffs. :)

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I think not considering Reinhart a top-6 forward is pretty ridiculous.

But yeah we have 3 top-6 forwards, maybe 4 or 5 top-9 forwards.

And 10+ D capable of playing in the NHL...and Botts continues to sit on his hands.

Forgot about him...he’s definitely a top 6 forward but hasn’t been consistently playing like one recently. He needs to be put on a different line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad