Proposal: Buffalo Rebuild (see other thread for updated proposal)

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
The Flames aren’t taking on Okposo but I do think a deal could be made.

ROR(20% retained), Scandella + Reinhart for
Hamilton, Backlund, Bennett + Kylington

Value wise I see it like this
Hamilton > ROR
Backlund = Scandella
Bennett < Reinhart
Kylington = the retention

As a Sabres fan I'd do Hamilton/Bennett for ROR/Reinhart I think. Bennett needs a fresh start, Sabres need more speed and feistiness.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Sabres don't consider this, I'm sorry. Scandella is literally our best D and ROR is I think our best C right now (Eichel is not where he should be). And I'd take Reinhart over Bennet+Kylington easily.
Suit yourself, a combined 269 points the last 2 years, including this one, verses 289 + Kylington

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
ROR, Okposo (30% Retention), Bealieu to CGY Flames
for
Hamilton (D), Valimaki (D), Brouwer (cap dump)

Too much salary coming back to Calgary long term, and it creates a hole on the blueline that Bealieu cannot fill. Don't really need ROR with Backlund filling the same role, and Okposo has been far from impressive.

Although I won't lie, that would REEEEEEAAALLY boost the Flames offense for this year.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - O'Reilly - Okposo
??? - Jankowski - Jagr

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Backlund is pending UFA and we are tanking.He literally has no value to Buffalo. It's not even close honestly.
Which is the only reason why I’d consider moving him for Scandella

Last edited:

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
As a Sabres fan I'd do Hamilton/Bennett for ROR/Reinhart I think. Bennett needs a fresh start, Sabres need more speed and feistiness.

I would love to do this, but I don't know how well it would work cap wise. Ferland and Tkachuk need to be re-signed at the same time, Reinhart would need an extension after this year. Although the cap is expected to go up quite a bit...

Having Monahan/Backlund/O'Reilly/Jankowski for center depth would be amazing. As for Hamiltons spot, recall Anderson.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It's a shame nothing else but points matters when considering a player's value.

I was wondering this as well.
It was in response to Scandella being the Sabres best defenseman this year. Backlund and ROR have been pretty comparable, and Backlund makes half the salary. Other than that the rest is pretty obvious, Hamilton and Reinhart being the best remaining pieces. The only reason I’d include Kylington in the offer is for retention compensation, other than that, the value seems pretty even to me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why are the Flyers trading Neuvirth and a 2nd for Robin Lehner? He's not better than Brian Elliott and Carter Hart is our future in net.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It was in response to Scandella being the Sabres best defenseman this year. Backlund and ROR have been pretty comparable, and Backlund makes half the salary. Other than that the rest is pretty obvious, Hamilton and Reinhart being the best remaining pieces. The only reason I’d include Kylington in the offer is for retention compensation, other than that, the value seems pretty even to me.

Backlund is a pending UFA. Absolutely 0 value to a rebuilding Sabres team. None. How good of a player he is is irrelevant.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Backlund is a pending UFA. Absolutely 0 value to a rebuilding Sabres team. None. How good of a player he is is irrelevant.
Then move him for picks at the deadline. The Flames want to make a push and we’d need a capable top 4 coming back if we were to move Hamilton. An overpaid, underachieving guy, like Okposo has absolutely zero value to us long term.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Then move him for picks at the deadline. The Flames want to make a push and we’d need a capable top 4 coming back if we were to move Hamilton. An overpaid, underachieving guy, like Okposo has absolutely zero value to us long term.

Or just scrap the idea entirely because Buffalo has 0 reason to move Scandella, Backlund does nothing for us, and we can absolutely get a fine return for ROR alone elsewhere. So.

Reactions: Skobel24

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
The Flames aren’t taking on Okposo but I do think a deal could be made.

ROR(20% retained), Scandella + Reinhart for
Hamilton, Backlund, Bennett + Kylington

Value wise I see it like this
Hamilton > ROR
Backlund = Scandella
Bennett < Reinhart
Kylington = the retention
Value wise I see it as
Soon to be UFA Backlund < Scandella
Bennett, Kylington < Reinhart
ROR @ 20% retained < Hamilton but it's actually fairly close 1st pairing d-man for 1st line center.
Overall awful for Buffalo.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Value wise I see it as
Soon to be UFA Backlund < Scandella
Bennett, Kylington < Reinhart
ROR @ 20% retained < Hamilton but it's actually fairly close 1st pairing d-man for 1st line center.
Overall awful for Buffalo.
You won’t have to worry about a young RHS, Hamilton quality defender for anything less.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Leafs pass. ROR is great, but if Willy or Marner are traded, it will be for defense.

I would consider a Nylander - ROR trade. With three defensively responsible centers in Matthews, ROR and Kadri I think the Leafs need for defense isn't as urgent.

I think the Leafs defense is fine. They could add another to their top four group but I don't think it needs to be a stud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad