Proposal: Buffalo Rebuild (see other thread for updated proposal)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
3 shutouts in a row, 1 win in 11...we gotta move some major pieces

EDIT: Refined proposals

We start from something likes this (not really today's lines) - age; cap hit; contract years after this season;

Kane (26, 5.25, UFA) - Eichel (21, 10, 8) - Reinhart (22, ELC, RFA)
Pouliot (31, 1.1, UFA) - ROR (26, 7.5, 5) - Okposo (29, 6, 5)
Girgensons (23, 1.6, 1/RFA)
- Larsson (25, 1.5, 1/RFA) - Pominville (35, 5.6, 1)
Nolan (28, 0.9, UFA) - Josefson (26, 0.7, UFA) - Moulson (34, 5, 1)

Scandella (27, 4, 2) - Risto (23, 5.4, 4)
Beaulieu (24, 2.4, 1/RFA) - Bogosian (27, 5.1, 2)
McCabe
(24, 1.6, 1/RFA) - Antipin (24, ELC, RFA)

Lehner (26, 4, RFA)
Johnson (31, 2.5, UFA)

Bigger pieces in the farm of relevance with realistic chance for future NHL jobs in next 2 years:
Casey Mittelstadt
Brandon Guhle
Alex Nylander
Linus Ullmark
Rasmus Asplund
CJ Smith
Justin Bailey
Victor Olofsson
Evan Rodrigues
Nick Baptiste
Hudson Fasching
Cliff Pu
Markus Davidsson
Kyle Criscuolo

2 years of suck assumed (17-18 and 18-19). For 19-20 it is assumed Mittelstadt, Guhle Ullmark, Olofsson have made the team. Assumed defenseman draft pick in June 18 can make it on the roster in 19-20 (Dahlin, Boqvist, etc)

Sample Trades (feel free to rip them apart, I tried to be semi-realistic but don't know every team's detailed circumstances):

Kane to ANA Ducks
for
Maxime Comtois (LW), 2nd round pick (conditional - WCF)

Johan Larsson, Bailey, 4th round pick to BOS Bruins
for
Jeremy Lauzon (D)

Alex Nylander, Antipin to TOR Maple Leafs
for
Kapanen (RW), Bracco (RW)

Jace McCabe, Zemgus Girgensons, Hudson Fasching, Pouliot to NYR Rangers
for
Filip Chytil, Marc Staal

ROR, Okposo (30% Retention), Bealieu to CGY Flames
for
Hamilton (D), Valimaki (D), Brouwer (cap dump)

Lehner to PHI Flyers
for
Neuvirth, 2nd round pick

Draft picks by round:
2018: 1-1, 2-2, 3-0, 4-3, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1
2019, 1-1, 2-1, 3-0, 4-2, 5-1, 6-1, 7-1

Until 2019 - accept the suffering and patch the team with young players, AHL-ers and short term vets. Try to obtain a good vet Center through UFA (unlikely many will be tempted to go to Buffalo...)

2018 1st - draft Boqvist. Except for 2018 1st, draft mostly Centers for center prospect depth in the early to mid rounds.

Of course - Bogosian, Johnson, Nolan and Moulson are gone to UFA. Marc Staal either bought out or kept as 7th D. Brouwer either burried in minors or kept as 13F if we can't dump the last year of his contract somewhere.

Assuming some of the prospects we have and acquire develop well, we get something like this for 2019-2020 (you can throw in some UFA as well because this team is cheap due to general young-ness):
Comtois - Eichel - Reinhart
CJ Smith - Mittelstadt - Kapanen
Chytil - Asplund - DeBrincat
Rodrigues - Pu - Pominville
-
Bailey
Olofsson
Josefson
Davidsson
Criscuolo
Baptiste

Guhle - Hamilton
Scandella - Risto
Lauzon - Boqvist
-
Valimaki

Ullmark
Random backup/1B off UFA
-
Luukkonnen

Last edited:

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I am pretty sure that Boston would have no interest in that deal at all.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I am pretty sure that Boston would have no interest in that deal at all.
My assumption was they could use some extra center depth if they are aiming at giving it a go this year. Not sure on the value, we may have to throw in something else on top but nothing too major I'd assume. Maybe one of our secondary D prospects (just drafted Bryson or Laaksonen?) and move the pick back by a round.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I've been thinking about a ROR for William Nylander trade. I think Babcock would do that deal. Might send the Leafs to the Cup final.

For us , we'd have Alex with William on a second offensive line. Eichel, Mittelstadt and Reinhart on the top line.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Boston declines, for Lauzon or Zboril either a higher pick or an actual player.
I'd probably try to throw in Laaksonen or Bryson in on top of the current offer of Larsson and 3rd. Since we will be bottom 2, the 3rd is quite close to a 2nd pick anyway. A 2nd round pick from us is nearly a 1st and that is I think a bit too much. Larsson is serviceable bottom 6 Center for more defensive utilization. Bryson+Larsson+3rd sounds fair to me from BUF side.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
To many moving pieces in the anaheim move, keep it simple judt a rental

Kane for comtois and a 3rd conditional 2nd if we make wcf.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
To many moving pieces in the anaheim move, keep it simple judt a rental

Kane for comtois and a 3rd conditional 2nd if we make wcf.
You need depth IMO (I like the ducks). Antipin could slot in for Vatanen that you just traded. Bailey is probably better suited to your team than ours so I could see him actually making your roster. This trade gives you 3 players that can play for this years playoffs at the expense of 1 tops. That was my logic.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The Ducks just made their big trade. There's no reason to go to those lengths to get the final months of Kane's contract. We don't even have the spare forward spots to accommodate those players.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I'd probably try to throw in Laaksonen or Bryson in on top of the current offer of Larsson and 3rd. Since we will be bottom 2, the 3rd is quite close to a 2nd pick anyway. A 2nd round pick from us is nearly a 1st and that is I think a bit too much. Larsson is serviceable bottom 6 Center for more defensive utilization. Bryson+Larsson+3rd sounds fair to me from BUF side.

It may work but in reality any trade of an actual asset from Boston would have one of Spooner or Beleski going away.

You can have some ice cream but you're going to have to take a pickle with it.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
You need depth IMO (I like the ducks). Antipin could slot in for Vatanen that you just traded. Bailey is probably better suited to your team than ours so I could see him actually making your roster. This trade gives you 3 players that can play for this years playoffs at the expense of 1 tops. That was my logic.
That is incorrect. We actually have all the necessary depth with the trade that we made days ago.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I've been thinking about a ROR for William Nylander trade. I think Babcock would do that deal. Might send the Leafs to the Cup final.

For us , we'd have Alex with William on a second offensive line. Eichel, Mittelstadt and Reinhart on the top line.
Leafs pass. ROR is great, but if Willy or Marner are traded, it will be for defense.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
We don't want your garbage.
There was literally a thread for Alex Nylander to TOR today. Also you need RD. Bogo is servicable second pairing RD in the rare occasions when he is healthy. If you get lucky he is healthy in the playoffs. Cause of this concern we retain.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
That is incorrect. We actually have all the necessary depth with the trade that we made days ago.
Doesn't seem like it to me as an outsider, of course as I said in OP I may be wrong on some things. I don't know if Botts goes to your office with this offer if it gets rejected. I personally don't think it would. It's not just about what you want in the end of the day, it's a 2 way transaction.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
We need good RHD that can play.

Bogo isn't very good and injuries are really bad in a cap league.

Bogo is OK when healthy. Yes, he's no Drew Doughty, but he's serviceable 2nd pairing D. If there was no injuries concerns we wouldn't be retaining and giving him for basically nothing still.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Doesn't seem like it to me as an outsider, of course as I said in OP I may be wrong on some things. I don't know if Botts goes to your office with this offer if it gets rejected. I personally don't think it would. It's not just about what you want in the end of the day, it's a 2 way transaction.
That's because we are currently missing 5 of our top six forwards to injury.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
That's fine, I still think this trade helps you in the near term, Long term it's anyone's guess when it comes to prospects.
Antipin isn't needed in any capacity. Part of the reason why trading Vatanen made sense was that we had too many defensemen for the starting roster.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

but leafs are already loaded at C

also nylander helps them a lot in the future

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Antipin isn't needed in any capacity. Part of the reason why trading Vatanen made sense was that we had too many defensemen for the starting roster.
I'm sure your GM sitting on 26 pts from 26 games thinks the same. He doesn't need 3 players that can go straight into his lineup for 2 magic beans. HF versus real world. You have injuries at forwards now, if you get hit by injuries at the back then you need depth there. Especially in the playoffs...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
when healthy
Ritchie getz perry
Cogs kes ailf
Rakell henrique kase
Grant vermette wagner
Extra: blandisi, shaw boll, roy and thst doesnt include eaves

Lindholm manson
Fowler montour
Beauchmin bieska
Megna holzer

And larsson and welinski are ready for a shot if need be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad