Value of: Buffalo prospects (and players?)

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Approx. 4 years older, Mikko is 1 year older than Thompson. Do you think that he’s far older than Cozens too?

Based on other comparable cap dump trades the cost to move him would be in the range of a late 2nd, so would a 2026 2nd or equivalent value interest you?

Problem is the money,, he'll be looking for some outlandish number to which we'll be forced to pay due to the trade.

SabreHawk

Jul 6, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
I think Buffalo gets a new coach and/or captain before they move a major piece/start blowing up the prospect pool. The whole roster took a step back production wise, that doesn't happen without a common denominator. Something needs to be fixed in the locker room before you start doing roster surgery.

In any case, young players like Benson, Quinn, Peterka, probably Levi, are 100% untouchable, and I'm sure KA is probably hanging up on asks about them. Kulich I think is also highly regarded in the org and I think he'd only be moved in a deal for a stud. It's also hard to envision this team moving on from a core player like Cozens or Power, giving up on either would be foolish.
Accidental quote. Sorry Misko.

Last edited:
Reactions: Misko

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think you'll find that quite a few Sabres fans will be all over your proposal like white on rice.

You want Zemgod too? Fine, take him. Just add him in. You want to kick us back a 7th? Fine.

Elite winger for me. Moose is well, a moose. That sort of physical mismatch would be excellent to have even if they then have to figure out something else at center 3 or 4 but that is already in flux anyway with Cozens currently on the wing.

Count me in as another Sabres fan who would do the deal. To answer your previous question as to why? Need the elite winger. In addition, like many Sabres fans, we feel we are at the point we need to trade good pieces away. We simply don't have room to fit them all. So I am in favour of packaging a few big good ones to get a major upgrade. Even without Cozens we have Mitts to be 2C and Krebs at 3C. Even without Ostlund and the 1st we have Savoie, Rosen, Kulich, Benson, and a slew of prospects a tier below them.

You gotta give to get and we have a lot of pieces we can afford to give.

I ran it back to the Avs board and seems like a good chunk wouldn’t be too pleased with the return. They feel that in general it would be more likely to be an off-season trade (totally fair) and that Östlund+2024 first don’t makeup the gap in value between Cozens and Rantanen under the assumption that Rants comes with a new contract.

I still feel like theirs a world where a trade such as this is possible. Would Sabres fans consider Thompson instead of Cozens or adding to the package?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Problem is the money,, he'll be looking for some outlandish number to which we'll be forced to pay due to the trade.

I suppose it depends on what you consider outlandish. Is he likely to ask for $11-12m? Probably, considering he’s 9th in scoring over the last 5 seasons and puts up very strong playoff numbers and Pasternak just signed for $11.25.

Is he worth it? I supposed that depends, he’s proven to be able to put up points at a high pace with and without MacKinnon, this season he has 3 less points than Buffalo’s top two scorers combined (Mitts+Dahlin).

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The sabres have their core identified and locked up with term.
The fact that half the sabres fans have different players on their untouchable list should be a strong indicator that the evaluation process on the "core" of the team is still a work in progress.

I think that just because Adams got overly excited with his new found ability to hand out 7 year deals, shouldn't be an end all be all indicator of who is going to be the heart and soul of this team moving forward. I honestly think everyone on the roster should be in play *if* a deal makes sense.

Reactions: Sabreality

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I ran it back to the Avs board and seems like a good chunk wouldn’t be too pleased with the return. They feel that in general it would be more likely to be an off-season trade (totally fair) and that Östlund+2024 first don’t makeup the gap in value between Cozens and Rantanen under the assumption that Rants comes with a new contract.

I still feel like theirs a world where a trade such as this is possible. Would Sabres fans consider Thompson instead of Cozens or adding to the package?

As an Avs fan I believe asking for Tage is asking too much.

Don't know how to fairly alter the package though. I think it's fine as it is.

Reactions: Perratrooper

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
I suppose it depends on what you consider outlandish. Is he likely to ask for $11-12m? Probably, considering he’s 9th in scoring over the last 5 seasons and puts up very strong playoff numbers and Pasternak just signed for $11.25.

Is he worth it? I supposed that depends, he’s proven to be able to put up points at a high pace with and without MacKinnon, this season he has 3 less points than Buffalo’s top two scorers combined (Mitts+Dahlin).
Doesn't he play with superman Mackinnon though?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Doesn't he play with superman Mackinnon though?

Mostly yes. There are exceptions though.

During the Avs cup run they weren't on the same line, as Rants was on a line with Nuke and Kadri.

Whenever MacK is missing from the lineup Rantanen still produces at an elite pace.

On some rare occasions Rantanen has played center, but those games/periods are (unfortunately) few and rare. However he produces at a great pace there too, without MacKinnon.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Thompson and a pick in the top 10 this year for Rantanen might have legs for me. But not with additional pieces.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Wait a top 10 pick, a top 15 draft selection, and a 60-80 point 2C isn't worth Rantanen? Okay, I will use Ostlund and the 1st to get a second Cozens similar player. It is a weird play anyways why would Colorado shift toward futures instead of resigning?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wait a top 10 pick, a top 15 draft selection, and a 60-80 point 2C isn't worth Rantanen? Okay, I will use Ostlund and the 1st to get a second Cozens similar player. It is a weird play anyways why would Colorado shift toward futures instead of resigning?

Seems like the dance between having quality depth to support their stars has gone more heavily toward stars now that they haven't been able to keep Kadri/Burakovsky/Compher types. The agitating for a 2nd line center by Avs watchers has been a season long thing. Probably has something to do with that, writ large.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

While I like Cozens a lot, let's not call him a 80 point player yet.

We have quality wingers and a cap hell incoming, especially if Landeskog returns to lineup. Rather trade Rantanen to fill a major hole in our roster, add players with ELCs to the lineup (our prospect pool is horrible, natural as we're contenders) and get some cap relief to acquire quality depth. Our depth stinks.

Thompson and a pick in the top 10 this year for Rantanen might have legs for me. But not with additional pieces.

Really? I'd do that too. I value Tage a lot higher than Cozens personally.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

This is where I would get off the train. Not trading a 1C on a 7 million dollar cap hit for another 7 years, one year removed from a 94 point season, along with a blue chipper in Ostlund and likely a top 10 pick. Just not happening for me.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Isn't Rantanen UFA? He will never except a sign and trade. His value exists as a rental in this case and is worth nothing to Sabres. We can tempt him for no assets in FA if we so prefer.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Colorado is similar with Toronto. They have a bunch of stsr players but havr not much depth in the roster.

getting a 2C and some depth and picks.

i view it as ROI as production vs dollar spent. I see Cozens>Ratannsn on his next contract.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The fact that half the sabres fans have different players on their untouchable list should be a strong indicator that the evaluation process on the "core" of the team is still a work in progress.

I think that just because Adams got overly excited with his new found ability to hand out 7 year deals, shouldn't be an end all be all indicator of who is going to be the heart and soul of this team moving forward. I honestly think everyone on the roster should be in play *if* a deal makes sense.

I think Adams is trying to work around the cap issues Thst come up in 25 and 26 summers getting to 2027.

Cozens was a going to hit UFA in 2027. Doing a bridge causes cap issues in 25 or 26 so you give him a long term contract.

other ELCs can get bridges to 2027 Or after.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

As Chain mentioned, there's a dance here.

I'd add something to Cozens/Ostlund/2024 1st. Probably something halfway decent.

However, if it's Thompson.......then you get either Ostlund OR the 1st.....but that's it.

Basically the difference between Cozens and Thompson is basically -- do you want a 1C or a higher-end 2C back? The contracts are a wash

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Approx. 4 years older, Mikko is 1 year older than Thompson. Do you think that he’s far older than Cozens too?

Based on other comparable cap dump trades the cost to move him would be in the range of a late 2nd, so would a 2026 2nd or equivalent value interest you?
2026 is probably too far away. Don't see the Habs accommodating that trade.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

I'd add something to Cozens/Ostlund/2024 1st. Probably something halfway decent.

However, if it's Thompson.......then you get either Ostlund OR the 1st.....but that's it.

Basically the difference between Cozens and Thompson is basically -- do you want a 1C or a higher-end 2C back? The contracts are a wash

I was about to make the same suggestion in terms of removing one of Östlund or the first if it’s Thompson. With that being said, what would Sabres fans consider adding to Cozens?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Isn't Rantanen UFA? He will never except a sign and trade. His value exists as a rental in this case and is worth nothing to Sabres. We can tempt him for no assets in FA if we so prefer.

He’s got 1 year left after this season and then is a UFA.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon

I wouldn't trade Thompson and Ostlund (or for that matter Cozens and Ostlund). Our center depth is paper thin and nothing in the pipleline beyond Ostlund. Thompson and a 2024 first (maybe with a Rosen kicker) or Thompson and Savoie.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Colorado is similar with Toronto. They have a bunch of stsr players but havr not much depth in the roster.

getting a 2C and some depth and picks.

i view it as ROI as production vs dollar spent. I see Cozens>Ratannsn on his next contract.
You can probably have Mitts since he is RFA I would do Mitts+ for a signed Rantanen.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I wouldn't trade Thompson and Ostlund (or for that matter Cozens and Ostlund). Our center depth is paper thin and nothing in the pipleline beyond Ostlund. Thompson and a 2024 first (maybe with a Rosen kicker) or Thompson and Savoie.

I’m surprised by the thought that Mitts-Cozens-Krebs down the middle is considered to be paper thin. Hell the lines for the Sabres could be

Tuch-Mitts-Rantanen
Greenway-Cozens-Skinner

With that being said, I’d do Thompson and a first plus any reasonable balacing if Buffalo fans feel that’s more reasonable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad