Value of: Buffalo prospects (and players?)

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Well they are better than most If you aren't blind........just like nearly every team that's been low in the standings continously.
Better on paper. If your prospects are so great why havent they jumped to nhl and why arent sabers winning. Yes of course your pool is bigger and better due to the collective.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Better on paper. If your prospects are so great why havent they jumped to nhl and why arent sabers winning. Yes of course your pool is bigger and better due to the collective.
Yes they are better in reality. Not sure what point you are trying to make with the dumb paper argument when it's not even close...Benson coming in at 18 while Quinn/Peterka were a dynamic duo in the AHL before moving up. Kulich is now lighting it up along in the AHL. Literally no one would be surprised by anyone of our top prospects becoming top 6 players that have been following them. Only problem is that it's unbalanced in favor of forwards and our GM can never seems to build a good defense even though they already have Dahlin and Power.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Not sure why lots of posters have JPP in the untouchable bucket but not Quinn.

I get the health concerns but I feel like Quinn is a step above JPP as an all-around winger. Like, fairly significantly. If I’m the Sabres, the idea of Quinn staying healthy and developing into a true first line winger on another team would scare the crap out of me - especially if the negotiating position of other teams is we are only going to pay you 75 cents on the dollar because he has had injuries.

I also don’t think it’s cut and dried that a guy like Kulich would be unavailable but Savoie would be. Kulich has slowed down tremendously after a high shooting% start to the year. He’s a real sniper but IMO suffers from some of the same “poor away from the puck, light physical game” handicaps that already exist in that roster. Savoie may not be big and may not even be a center at the next level but he brings lots of energy. I guess ultimately either is available for the right upgrades but I don’t think they are in different tiers.

Reactions: HOOats

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
That'll involve some dead bodies. Mine among them.

Where do I fax the paperwork?

In terms of the proposed Rantanen trade (Cozens, Östlund, 2024 first), is this something Buffalo fans would seriously consider? Would it cost much to have Girgensons included?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
In terms of the proposed Rantanen trade (Cozens, Östlund, 2024 first), is this something Buffalo fans would seriously consider? Would it cost much to have Girgensons included?

I think you'll find that quite a few Sabres fans will be all over your proposal like white on rice.

You want Zemgod too? Fine, take him. Just add him in. You want to kick us back a 7th? Fine.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think you'll find that quite a few Sabres fans will be all over your proposal like white on rice.

You want Zemgod too? Fine, take him. Just add him in. You want to kick us back a 7th? Fine.

Now is that due to Cozens play or wanting to grab an elite winger?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I get the health concerns but I feel like Quinn is a step above JPP as an all-around winger. Like, fairly significantly. If I’m the Sabres, the idea of Quinn staying healthy and developing into a true first line winger on another team would scare the crap out of me - especially if the negotiating position of other teams is we are only going to pay you 75 cents on the dollar because he has had injuries.

I also don’t think it’s cut and dried that a guy like Kulich would be unavailable but Savoie would be. Kulich has slowed down tremendously after a high shooting% start to the year. He’s a real sniper but IMO suffers from some of the same “poor away from the puck, light physical game” handicaps that already exist in that roster. Savoie may not be big and may not even be a center at the next level but he brings lots of energy. I guess ultimately either is available for the right upgrades but I don’t think they are in different tiers.

I am of the “keep Quinn” batch. I would prefer they try to keep both Peterka and Quinn but I am in no way interested in moving Quinn at this time.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Elite winger for me. Moose is well, a moose. That sort of physical mismatch would be excellent to have even if they then have to figure out something else at center 3 or 4 but that is already in flux anyway with Cozens currently on the wing.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Elite winger for me. Moose is well, a moose. That sort of physical mismatch would be excellent to have even if they then have to figure out something else at center 3 or 4 but that is already in flux anyway with Cozens currently on the wing.

I appreciate the insight!

Is there a reason he’s playing wing versus center? I know his play has improved recently, is this tied to playing wing directly or is there more to it? Are there concerns he’s a winger moving forward?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Elite level winger and the idea that you've gotta trade talent to get talent.

Being able to put Mitts with Rantanen immediately allows them to soak the opposing teams' best defenders, which then should in theory open up a LOT of time and space for Tage to feast on the remnants of the opponent. The idea of Mitts and Rantanen on a line? The opponent would never see the puck once it entered the offensive zone....those two are so incredibly good at puck retention and support.

As far as Cozens being a wing vs center -- I've always seen him as Jeff Carter v2.0. A guy who can play either well, but gives off different playstyles when playing wing vs center. When playing wing, Cozens is MUCH more apt to play physically and with speed. When playing center, he maybe focuses on defense too much...slows the game down and uses his shot much more.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Frankly, I think if we did such a move.....staple Mitts to Rantanen as line 1....Tage centers line 2 then Krebs gets first shot at centering line 3. Bring in someone to center line 4/PK.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Frankly, I think if we did such a move.....staple Mitts to Rantanen as line 1....Tage centers line 2 then Krebs gets first shot at centering line 3. Bring in someone to center line 4/PK.

We could always send RyJo in the trade to help out with the center depth issue :naughty:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
We could always send RyJo in the trade to help out with the center depth issue :naughty:
We already have a RyJo, thankyouverymuch -- his name is Ryan Johnson.

But simply stat-looking -- is he really that cooked? I admit that his FO% is very, very intriguing.....given that our team has exactly ONE guy who's taken more than 3 draws all year who's 50% or better..........and that's Alex Tuch, who's won 21 of his 41 draws. Everyone else on our team is awful on the draw.

Does he have ANY redeeming quality other than FO% anymore?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
No way in hell are you getting that for a 1+ rental.
I appreciate the insight!

Is there a reason he’s playing wing versus center? I know his play has improved recently, is this tied to playing wing directly or is there more to it? Are there concerns he’s a winger moving forward?
Cozens and Mitlestadt on the same line. One can play C and other winger.

They want to give Krebs time in a 3C spot. His ELC ends this summer.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

But simply stat-looking -- is he really that cooked? I admit that his FO% is very, very intriguing.....given that our team has exactly ONE guy who's taken more than 3 draws all year who's 50% or better..........and that's Alex Tuch, who's won 21 of his 41 draws. Everyone else on our team is awful on the draw.

Nope, the guy is unfortunately done. We will either buy him out this summer or pay someone to take him off our hands.

Glad to see my Rantanen for Cozens++ proposal seems fair. I feel like it would benefit both teams.

No way in hell are you getting that for a 1+ rental.

The proposed deal had an assumption that you sign Rantanen to long term extension this summer. It's a summer trade clearly.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Rather have Cozens to be honest seeing as Rantanen is going to require 10+ mil as well as is far older.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Rather have Cozens to be honest seeing as Rantanen is going to require 10+ mil as well as is far older.

That's fine and all if you prefer to stay put but there is a significant difference in their abilities that justify the difference in salaries.

I wouldn't like to give up the best player in deal but we can't afford Rantanen as well as you guys and 2C is a massive, massive hole for us.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Hahah the faceoff stat is unfortunately hilarious for the Sabres.

As for the Avs RyJo, he can at points be viable on a powerplay in the bumper spot, but outside of that it’s essentially just faceoffs unfortunately.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Approx. 4 years older, Mikko is 1 year older than Thompson. Do you think that he’s far older than Cozens too?

What would you offer the Habs to take him off your hands?

Based on other comparable cap dump trades the cost to move him would be in the range of a late 2nd, so would a 2026 2nd or equivalent value interest you?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Approx. 4 years older, Mikko is 1 year older than Thompson. Do you think that he’s far older than Cozens too?
Count me in as another Sabres fan who would do the deal. To answer your previous question as to why? Need the elite winger. In addition, like many Sabres fans, we feel we are at the point we need to trade good pieces away. We simply don't have room to fit them all. So I am in favour of packaging a few big good ones to get a major upgrade. Even without Cozens we have Mitts to be 2C and Krebs at 3C. Even without Ostlund and the 1st we have Savoie, Rosen, Kulich, Benson, and a slew of prospects a tier below them.

You gotta give to get and we have a lot of pieces we can afford to give.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Quinn is probably our most talented forward overall already. Good things happen when he's on the ice.

He definitely on the not going anywhere list unless you knock my socks off list

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Totally agree, but I think it’s “out of sight, out of mind” with Quinn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad