Value of: Buffalo prospects (and players?)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Buffalo has a lot of prospects and young talents, and we need a new coach vets who are good for the next 2-4 years.

Other Buffalo fans who know more than I might object to trading certain players, but I’m open to pretty much all offers. Obviously there’s a core, and Mittlestadt rules so he’s high value, but everyone from Peterka on down is tradable if the price is right.

Okposo, E Johnson, Girgensons are the vets available.

The idea is to get 2-3 vets on decent contracts that’d bolster the Buffalo lineup. Guys who don’t really match your timeline or cap plans, but who have some good years left in them (so not Eric Johnson). Lotta good prospects, there’s gonna be a logjam, I wanna trade for some steady defense and a sound winger or two. Offers?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There have been some reports that the Bruins have looked at them, names have been mentioned including both Okposo and Girgensons and then lately Friedman went on about Mittelstadt and potentially Boston wanting him. I could see either of the other two vets for a mid-rounder type deal but I don't see the value in a Mittelstadt deal with them.

Reactions: goach

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Buffalo needs to trade 5 of the below pieces

Kulich
Rosen
Benson
Savoie
Ostlund
Quinn
Mittlestadt
2024 1st
2025 1st
2026 1st

They should get back 3 core pieces from 5 of those pieces depending on mix

Main Core is

Dahlin, TT, Cozens, Power

+ 3 secondary core pieces added from above

+ peterka + tuch + samulsson + whichever of the above arent dealt

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
This season Buffalo has had the depressing realization that a top 2 center tandem of Thompson/cozens is not good enough for the nhl. Both guys are making 7+mil so sliding either to 3C is off the table. One needs to move and I think it should be cozens. Thompson is too talented to give up on.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This season Buffalo has had the depressing realization that a top 2 center tandem of Thompson/cozens is not good enough for the nhl. Both guys are making 7+mil so sliding either to 3C is off the table. One needs to move and I think it should be cozens. Thompson is too talented to give up on.

They had the depressing realization that an inept PP gives back all of their improvement at GA. At the moment Cozens is playing RW2 so they don't actually need to worry about who of the two is playing center. In fact, getting a decent third line center would still be on the table.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020

Kulich
Rosen
Benson
Savoie
Ostlund
Quinn
Mittlestadt
2024 1st
2025 1st
2026 1st

Main Core is

I don’t see any scenario outside of a superstar coming back that benson is traded

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I don’t see any scenario outside of a superstar coming back that benson is traded
Hes one of the guys that is outside the core 4 for the sabres right now imo (Dahlin, Cozens, TT, Powers)

He doesnt bring a superstar back by himself right now, but if sabre fans value him as a core player moving forward than they can take him off the list

These three offers alone should bring back a Tuch level player (forward or defenseman). Some example trades below (no need to make all):

Kulich + 2024 1st + Skinner --> Filip Forsberg

Rosen + 2025 1st + Ryan Johnson --> Swayman + Carlo. Summer deal if bruins decide to retool if they have an early playoffs

Savoie + 2026 1st + UPL --> Rasmus Andersson

You still have Quinn, Mittlestadt, Ostlund left over from that listing left over for sure along with massive team upgrades

Last edited:

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021

Kulich
Rosen
KEEP Benson
Savoie
KEEP Ostlund
KEEP Quinn
KEEP Mittlestadt
2024 1st
2025 1st
2026 1st

Main Core is

Pretty fair assessment from a rival fan. Nice job.

My theme would be keep the proven young players, especially ELCs, and package up the pixie dust and picks for vets.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown

Kulich
Rosen
Benson
Savoie
Ostlund
Quinn
Mittlestadt
2024 1st
2025 1st
2026 1st

Main Core is

We need to trade 5 of them..? Why?

The team is top 10 in 5v5 scoring. Getting above average goal tending. Average on the PK. Better defensively.

The issue is being a bottom 5 PP team. With just an average PP we'd likely be in a WC spot.

The roster right now is very capable of being a playoff team. I don't see why we have to make any big moves unless it's getting a new coach.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
We need to trade 5 of them..? Why?

The team is top 10 in 5v5 scoring. Getting above average goal tending. Average on the PK. Better defensively.

The issue is being a bottom 5 PP team. With just an average PP we'd likely be in a WC spot.

The roster right now is very capable of being a playoff team. I don't see why we have to make any big moves unless it's getting a new coach.
The team hasn't won more than 2 games in a row at all this season.. they are not a playoff team

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
This assumes Buffalo signs Rantanen to a long term deal in the summer. Without that belief this doesn't make sense, but:

Mikko Rantanen for

Cozens, 2024 1st and Östlund

Buffalo gets a 100pt RW to help them get the next step and into the playoffs. Roll Tage and Mittelstadt as 1-2 centers. They add one of the most productive forwards in the game to their awesome mix.

Avs get a youngish 60pt 2C on a great contract, a lot of cap relief and two great pieces to even the value between Cozens and Rantanen.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
The team hasn't won more than 2 games in a row at all this season.. they are not a playoff team
With just an average PP we'd have around 10-12 more goals. That enough would put us either in a WC spot or close behind. This roster is very capable of making the playoffs.

The team is better than it was last year 5v5. Also better goaltending, PK, and defense. There are very clear fixes for this team. That starts with getting a new coaching staff with a coach that has actually run a PP before.

There is no need to get desperate and start trading all our picks & great prospects away.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Lol, Buffalo isn't giving up young, contract/cost controlled talent for aging middle talent vets. Adams already has proven he's willing to hold on to the group of young players even if that means no playoffs this season.
A couple of Buffalo's UFA's are likely dealt by the deadline, but Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, Peterka, Quinn (currently injured anyways), Middlestadt, Greenway, Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, UPL, Levi aren't going anywhere.
Yes they need vet presence better than okposo, girgs and Comrie, but they don't need middling talent, over 33 vets. UPL is a rising star in net this season and Levi is working it out in Rochester. If the Sabres are going to move any of those young roster players mentioned above, the deal is going to be a franchise changer.

As Adams said, he doesn't want road blocks for the young coming through the pipeline, and at forward, there is no denying the Sabres have talent that is coming. Kulich, Ostlund, Savoie to name a few. So the deadline?, no. But this off-season, if there's a dance partner to do a hockey trade with, then ya, maybe a deal can be done.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Adams will never trade away prospects or high picks.
Just for the sake of the thread I'd name the prospects and players available anyway.

This would be my list:

Prospects/futures
Savoie, Rosén, Kulich, any pick

Players
Krebs, Tuch, Okposo, Girgensons
Jokiharju, E Johnson, Clifton (lol)

Packaged for great players
Mittelstadt, Peterka, Power, Levi

Last edited:

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
I don’t know why but I can see Buffalo taking a flyer on Oliver Wahlstrom and seeing if the change of scenery does something for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Happily take Quinn on the Nucks

That'll involve some dead bodies. Mine among them.

This assumes Buffalo signs Rantanen to a long term deal in the summer. Without that belief this doesn't make sense, but:

Mikko Rantanen for

Cozens, 2024 1st and Östlund

Buffalo gets a 100pt RW to help them get the next step and into the playoffs. Roll Tage and Mittelstadt as 1-2 centers. They add one of the most productive forwards in the game to their awesome mix.

Avs get a youngish 60pt 2C on a great contract, a lot of cap relief and two great pieces to even the value between Cozens and Rantanen.

Where do I fax the paperwork?

Big Wood

Mar 29, 2023

Kulich
Rosen
Benson
Savoie
Ostlund
Quinn
Mittlestadt
2024 1st