Proposal: Buffalo-Pittsburgh major shakeup

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Both players have serious negatives.

Letang is better but has injury issue [was it something to do with his blood?].
Mid 30s. how much has he got left in a diminishing tank even if disease/health is not a concern vis a vis his status as an asset.

Risto plays the crease well and provides great righty shot.
That's it.
Has turned into a turnover machine.

Can see other variations on this theme but not this one.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This trade doesn't make sense for either team. And that's not one of those well if both teams doesn't like it it must be fair things that hf comes up it. It literally makes no sense for either side. It does nothing for pittsburgh trying to win in the next couple years and last thing buffalo should be doing is moving down in the draft and trading for a 33 year old player.

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
I wasn't asking for opinions on whether fans would do it, I was asking if the value was reasonable.

Like I said above, the idea came about from a discussion of the Penguins making a similar deal with Letang as they did with Kessel in the Kessel for Galchenyuk trade. Ristolainen was an example of a player that fit the criteria, but there was some disagreement on how GMs would value that trade. The question was asking about whether the value of the trade was reasonable based on how GMs probably view Ristolainen.
I think it is pretty intuitive to leap from "I wouldn't do it" to "the value isn't reasonable".

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
A lose-lose proposal. Penguins gets worse when trying to compete with Crosby and Buffalo gets worse when they can possibly compete in 2-3 years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dahlin is already as good as Letang, and will be better as soon as next year.

Risto has his faults, and Letang is better, BUT he is significantly older, makes more, and is declining. There is also a big difference in the quality of player available in this draft at #8(one of Holtz/Raymond/Sanderson/Perfetti/Rossi) v. #15(Mercer/Holloway/Jarvis/Perreault/Schneider).

Bad deal for BUF.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Dahlin is already as good as Letang, and will be better as soon as next year.

Risto has his faults, and Letang is better, BUT he is significantly older, makes more, and is declining. There is also a big difference in the quality of player available in this draft at #8(one of Holtz/Raymond/Sanderson/Perfetti/Rossi) v. #15(Mercer/Holloway/Jarvis/Perreault/Schneider).

Bad deal for BUF.
Risto is probably garbage but the top 8 players, 9 if Askarov goes in the top 8, are significantly better than 15th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad