Buffalo injuries

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
They were not the same at all. All the stats prove this. I'm very surprised Toronto finished 30th with their stats. Any other year they'd be much higher.

I just find it funny every thread when stats are posted Sabres fans never respond.

Like I said, I'm right here.

I'm not arguing that the Leafs were just as bad statistically as the Sabres were, I'm saying that there is a double standard when it comes to people hating the Sabres more than other teams that made some "questionable" moves when their teams happened to suck.

Hating tanking should not be about what player is in the draft, the structure of the draft, or how bad said team actually is statistically or any of that, but it frequently is. It should always be about the fact that a team is being dishonest competitively, (I've seen some call it cheating) and not giving their team a 100% chance to succeed, regardless of outcome. Yet we have people giving the Leafs a pass, basically because their coaching situation was much better than ours was. Make no mistake, there were, lets just say interesting moves made by the Leafs last year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Like I said, I'm right here.

I'm not arguing that the Leafs were just as bad statistically as the Sabres were, I'm saying that there is a double standard when it comes to people hating the Sabres more than other teams that made some "questionable" moves when their teams happened to suck.

Hating tanking should not be about what player is in the draft, the structure of the draft, or how bad said team actually is statistically or any of that, but it frequently is. It should always be about the fact that a team is being dishonest competitively, and not giving their team a 100% chance to succeed, regardless of outcome. Yet we have people giving the Leafs a pass, basically because their coaching situation was much better than ours was. Make no mistake, there were, lets just say interesting moves made by the Leafs last year.

Sabres fans claim non-stop the "Toronto Media" had a double standard. No they did not. Toronto had 15 more points, more wins, better stats in every category. Their goal differential was in another universe.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Sabres fans claim non-stop the "Toronto Media" had a double standard. No they did not. Toronto had 15 more points, more wins, better stats in every category. Their goal differential was in another universe.

I mean I don't have time to sift through all the media pundits in Toronto. It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see certain individuals rationalizing what Toronto did over the Sabres though.

Like I stated before, hating tanking or not shouldn't have anything to do with statistics

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010

Yet Buffalo didn't clinch last place until after the 81st game of that season.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
Oh give me a break.

Why didn't karma hit the Penguins when they shamelessly and obviously tanked for Lemieux? They were rewarded with cups for that season.

You missed the part where Mario had cancer a bad back and got his career ruined by injuries? You missed the part of Penguins nearly going bankrupt? How the greatest player in the league for several seasons Jaromir Jagr just dolted over to a competitor?

Karma.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Do we really have to go down this path again? The Leafs last season were far, far better than when Buffalo tanked and ALL the numbers prove this.
Everytime a Leaf fan posts stats Sabres fans disappear when they claim there was a "Double Standard" with the Canadian media.
The Leafs had 15 more points than the Sabres in 2014-15 and had a far better goal differential AND spent 50 million to get a top coach.

You went down that path.... what the hell did I say that has anything to do with the dumb **** you're talking about?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Imagine believing the Leafs didn't tank on purpose.

Everyone knew their goal goin into the season...then they did it.

It's as cut and dry as can be.

They traded Kessel and Phaneuf for junk. I mean...come on.

Buffalo finished last by exactly one goal btw. They had the exact record they needed to have to accomplish their goal. Just like Toronto. Difference was no one was chasing like Arizona was the year before.

Last is last. Everyone knew they wanted to be last. They were last. Now you deny it. Amazing.

You should own it instead of keeping up this embarrassing charade. Everyone isn't stupid. Going into the year Toronto had one goal and they accomplished it. Some years you have to be worse than others to finish last. In a year no one is racing you to the bottom you can be 15 points better than a year where teams are.

Last edited:

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC

Buffalo finished last by exactly one goal btw. They had the exact record they needed to have to accomplish their goal. Just like Toronto. Difference was no one was chasing like Arizona was the year before.

Last is last. Everyone knew they wanted to be last. They were last. Now you deny it. Amazing.

Getting rid of bad contracts of flawed players isn't junk sir

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

You should own it instead of keeping up this embarrassing charade. Everyone isn't stupid. Going into the year Toronto had one goal and they accomplished it. Some years you have to be worse than others to finish last. In a year no one is racing you to the bottom you can be 15 points better than a year where teams are.

I love how we go from "You'll Never Trade Kessel and Phaneuf No One Wants Them" to "You got Junk For Them".
FYI, The Leafs used the first round pick from the pens to acquire Andersen and Kapannen is a very good prospect.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Getting rid of bad contracts of flawed players isn't junk sir

Kessel? Runner up for Conn Smythe Kessel?

This is sooo ridiculous. You guys are the leaf fans that make me hate leaf fans. You guys tanked and so did we. There is nothing wrong with it and nothing different. Oh you got more points? Wow! Congratz on being a better loser.

You are going to say hiring Babcock is evidence you didn't tank but we tried for him too. Now you will say some other garbage about how we didn't hire him the year before. I am sorry, didn't realize he could just bail on the last year of his contract with Detroit and come to Buffalo a year earlier. You should be a GM because clearly you understand this stuff far better than most.

Get over it and get off your high horses. The way some leaf fans on here scramble to make up **** in a effort to somehow show their franchise is more honorable than the rest of the league or some grabage is incredible. Nobody even said it was a bad thing. Why do you get so defensive?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kessel? Runner up for Conn Smythe Kessel?

This is sooo ridiculous. You guys are the leaf fans that make me hate leaf fans. You guys tanked and so did we. There is nothing wrong with it and nothing different. Oh you got more points? Wow! Congratz one being a better loser.

You are going to say hiring Babcock is evidence you didn't tank but we tried for him too. Now you will say some other garbage about how we didn't hire him the year before. I am sorry, didn't realize he could just bail on the last year of his contract with Detroit and come to Buffalo a year earlier. You should be a GM because clearly you understand this stuff far better than most.

Get over it and get off your high horses. The way some leaf fans on here scramble to make up **** in a effort to somehow show their franchise is more honorable than the rest of the league or some grabage is incredible. Nobody even said it was a bad thing. Why do you get so defensive?

For the second time, you tried for him the summer after your historic tank job.

ALL the stats say the Leafs were on another planet from Edmonton. You guys keep ignoring that. 26 losses by 1 goal for the Leafs last season. 15 points more than Buffalo in 2014-15'!

And how is getting a first rounder and a very good prospect for Kessel "Giving Him Away"? The Leafs got Andersen for that pick.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

ALL the stats say the Leafs were on another planet from Edmonton. You guys keep ignoring that. 26 losses by 1 goal for the Leafs last season. 15 points more than Buffalo in 2014-15'!

And how is getting a first rounder and a very good prospect for Kessel "Giving Him Away"? The Leafs got Andersen for that pick.

Keep posting.

I'm enjoying it.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

I'll direct you to what I said in regards to this in literally the very next sentence which you either ignored or failed to comprehend.

Now you will say some other garbage about how we didn't hire him the year before. I am sorry, didn't realize he could just bail on the last year of his contract with Detroit and come to Buffalo a year earlier.

Also with regard to:

I literally did not mention a single time in my post, anything about the return for Kessel. I responded to a post which said he was a "bad contract and flawed player"

Maybe you should fully read the posts you are responding to before hitting the post button.

Sep 18, 2009
If there is one team that tanks on purpose, it is the Buffalo Sabres
Best part was when Tim Murray complained to the league about the lottery changes
Checkmate

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
If there is one team that tanks on purpose, it is the Buffalo Sabres
Best part was when Tim Murray complained to the league about the lottery changes
Checkmate

This is so true. The least they could have done is traded away UFAs, but they dumped guys that were under long term contracts. Biggest Tankers In The World.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
This is so true. The least they could have done is traded away UFAs, but they dumped guys that were under long term contracts. Biggest Tankers In The World.

Pominville was the first to go, with one year and two months left under contract.
Vanek was traded next with almost two years left.
Miller was last with three months left.

Even if the Sabres didn't want to rebuild, keeping those players when the team was no longer a contender would have been a waste. Not only were their contracts close to expiring (less than two years is not "long-term"), they had already proven to not be players that would lead a team to Cup contention. Even if they were that type of player, the rest of the roster was not capable of supporting them for a Cup run.

There was absolutely no reason to hold on to those players any longer for any reason other than sentimentality. Trading those players when they were traded is what almost every other GM in the league would have chosen to do. I don't care if people call it "tanking", it was the only option left that made any sense.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Both the Sabres and leafs tanked on purpose. It's pretty obvious. Why is this an argument?

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Checked in for the Sabres injuries for toningts game! Came to a tanking "discussion" were some leafs tries to change historic facts!

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

I consider the injuries karma for firing Ted Nolan after he captained the tank successfully.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00