Buffalo Duo vs. Aves Duo

Who do you got?

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
That looks familiar...Oops hope Mack isn't giving him skating tips

crosbymove.gif

That Crosby kid ain’t bad. Might have a future in this league.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
That Crosby kid ain’t bad. Might have a future in this league.

Arizona could hire him. What you do think, is that gap between Crosby and Makar bigger than the gap between Mack and the canes player? Tbf to Mack, at least Crosby had to actually put the shimmy on.

In all seriousness, I just find it funny that I could probably footage of McDavid getting twisted, doesn't really prove anything. Good for likes though.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Arizona could hire him. What you do think, is that gap between Crosby and Makar bigger than the gap between Mack and the canes player? Tbf to Mack, at least Crosby had to actually put the shimmy on.

In all seriousness, I just find it funny that I could probably footage of McDavid getting twisted, doesn't really prove anything. Good for likes though.

The initial poster said Makar was ordinary.

I don’t think there’s a need to go in depth on why that’s not the case.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018

For sure that makes sense. But you should watch the sportnet highlight video of Makar's best plays from the year. It's amazing, and it's long. He made incredible plays all year.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
For sure that makes sense. But you should watch the sportnet highlight video of Makar's best plays from the year. It's amazing, and it's long. He made incredible plays all year.

I know hes incredible. So is Quinn hughes, and I wish they could both piss off and play in the East. Frankly pisses me off that Edmonton cant seem to find any good D through the draft. We havent had legit 1D since Pronger...

I just wanted to poke fun at the guy for posting a clip of Mak stopping, and was like - EXTRAORDINARY! haha, could have picked any one of a number of better things than that from his highlights video.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I know hes incredible. So is Quinn hughes, and I wish they could both piss off and play in the East. Frankly pisses me off that Edmonton cant seem to find any good D through the draft. We havent had legit 1D since Pronger...

I just wanted to poke fun at the guy for posting a clip of Mak stopping, and was like - EXTRAORDINARY! haha, could have picked any one of a number of better things than that from his highlights video.

I understand that single clips have no bearing on how good any player is, otherwise Marek Malik would be the GOAT.

I still think it’s a cool clip though. How often do you see it where a player stops so suddenly that the guy trailing him looks like he skated on a land mine and flew into the boards lol

Last edited:
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It depends on if Dahlin reaches his ceiling or not. He has the potential to be better than Makar but let’s not act like Makar is trash. He’s a top 10 defenseman right now and it’s his first season.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I’m assuming this is going forward so I’ll reluctantly take the Sabres. Dahlin is the easy choice over Makar and Eichel really elevated his game last year to narrow the gap. MacKinnon is still clearly better but I expect that gap to be smaller than Dahlin vs Makar for the next decade.

Dahlin would get a lot more love if he played for a half decent team that people watched.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’m assuming this is going forward so I’ll reluctantly take the Sabres. Dahlin is the easy choice over Makar and Eichel really elevated his game last year to narrow the gap. MacKinnon is still clearly better but I expect that gap to be smaller than Dahlin vs Makar for the next decade.

Dahlin would get a lot more love if he played for a half decent team that people watched.

Maybe Dahlin just wasn’t as good as Makar this year.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I’m curious what people think Dahlin did better than Makar this season. Certainly wasnt offense or defense.
Pardon?

Dahlin’s defensive instincts are extraordinary. His ability to break up and turn plays around is pretty exceptional before you even consider he’s still a teenager. He has some Lidstrom-esque qualities to his game that will only improve as he continues to develop. There’s a reason he’s been tagged as generational since he was 16.

Unfortunately for Dahlin, he plays on a terrible team that impacts his numbers at both ends of the ice. Naturally you’ll see a lot of people who look at these numbers rather than isolating him as an individual. Unfair, but that’s the way it goes.

This thread looks a lot different if Dahlin was on a top team in Colorado vs Makar on a door mat like the Sabres.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Pardon?

Dahlin’s defensive instincts are extraordinary. His ability to break up and turn plays around is pretty exceptional before you even consider he’s still a teenager. He has some Lidstrom-esque qualities to his game that will only improve as he continues to develop. There’s a reason he’s been tagged as generational since he was 16.

Unfortunately for Dahlin, he plays on a terrible team that impacts his numbers at both ends of the ice. Naturally you’ll see a lot of people who look at these numbers rather than isolating him as an individual. Unfair, but that’s the way it goes.

This thread looks a lot different if Dahlin was on a top team in Colorado vs Makar on a door mat like the Sabres.
Dahlin’s defense is extraordinary for a teen

Dahlin can’t keep coasting on his hype forever. Being on Buffalo can only be an excuse for so long. Eventually players like Dahlin need to actually prove that hype instead of relying a excuse for why they’re not living up to it. Dahlin has time to do it, but he needs to actually do it

Oh, and you’re clearly underrating Makar’s defensive game.

The Avs are a top team because of a player like Makar. Their record without him is actually significantly worse. Top players elevate their team.

If you’re really going to argue Dahlin is better at defense this season basically with hype and excuses, then you need to try much harder at this dog and pony show

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Dahlin can’t keep coasting on his hype forever. Being on Buffalo can only be an excuse for so long. Eventually players like Dahlin need to actually prove that hype instead of it relying a excuse for why they’re not living up to it. Dahlin has time to do it, but he needs to actually do it

The Avs are a top team because of a player like Makar. Their record without him is actually significantly worse. Top players elevate their team.
Mac and Makar are the better duo.
Mac and Eichel are really close, so that’s even IMO.
Makar is a much more impactful player than Dahlin. Makar is great, and Dahlin is good. Dahlin appears to have plateaued as a player. Same thing happened to Ekblad. Good player at a young age, but reached his ceiling early.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Pardon?

Dahlin has the chance to be quite special, but I haven’t seen much Nik Lidstrom from him yet in his NHL career.

Not many are arguing against Dahlin’s potential to be the top defenceman in the game, but I don’t understand why we have to overrate his play from this season.

I just think it’s a real disservice to what Makar did this year, to look at a guy who played worse in Dahlin and say, “throw him on Colorado and he does the same thing.”

The Avs weren’t that special before Makar showed up btw.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

Dahlin can’t keep coasting on his hype forever. Being on Buffalo can only be an excuse for so long. Eventually players like Dahlin need to actually prove that hype instead of relying a excuse for why they’re not living up to it. Dahlin has time to do it, but he needs to actually do it

If you’re really going to argue Dahlin is better at defense this season basically with hype and excuses, then you need to try much harder at this dog and pony show
No, extraordinary for an NHL defenseman. He still makes mistakes from time to time, but his defensive stick and body positioning coupled with his IQ and instincts allow him to defend at a very high level regardless of how good or bad his teammates are. He’s already one of the best 1on1 defenders in the game and that’s an incredibly rare quality for someone his age.

He’s not coasting on hype. He comes as advertised, but he’s only one man. The Sabres are an incredibly flawed team and no one player is going to fix that.

I’m not underrating Makar’s defensive game at all. In fact, I’ve said nothing about it. He’s a dynamic talent whose skill and creativity with the puck make him a lot of fun to watch. He’s going to be a great player for a long time.

I’m not arguing, I’m providing reason to support my opinion from a neutral perspective. Feel free to disagree, it’s not that serious.
Mac and Makar are the better duo.
Mac and Eichel are really close, so that’s even IMO.
Makar is a much more impactful player than Dahlin. Makar is great, and Dahlin is good. Dahlin appears to have plateaued as a player. Same thing happened to Ekblad. Good player at a young age, but reached his ceiling early.
Plateaued? Why do you think that?

Ekblad isn’t a very good comparison when you consider how they’re effective; Ekblad was one of the most physically developed teenagers we’ve seen in recent years and relied heavily on physical tools. Dahlin is an elite skater and far more heady player whose skills are still very much being polished while his 6’3 frame has a lot of room to grow. Ekblad never processed the game at an elite level so there were always concerns with how he’d adapt once teams learned his game. (The traumatic brain injuries didn’t help, either) These questions aren’t present with Dahlin because he’s always one of the smartest players on the ice.

They really couldn’t be much more different as players. Odd comparison.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Dahlin has the chance to be quite special, but I haven’t seen much Nik Lidstrom from him yet in his NHL career.

Not many are arguing against Dahlin’s potential to be the top defenceman in the game, but I don’t understand why we have to overrate his play from this season.

I just think it’s a real disservice to what Makar did this year, to look at a guy who played worse in Dahlin and say, “throw him on Colorado and he does the same thing.”

The Avs weren’t that special before Makar showed up btw.
I never said that, please don’t put words in my mouth. I said this thread (meaning peoples opinions) would in my opinion look a lot different if the situations were reversed.

The Lidstrom-esque in a sense that he so simply and effortlessly breaks up plays with IQ, a good defensive stick and good positioning. He makes it looks easy and not many can do it like that.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
No, extraordinary for an NHL defenseman. He still makes mistakes from time to time, but his defensive stick and body positioning coupled with his IQ and instincts allow him to defend at a very high level regardless of how good or bad his teammates are. He’s already one of the best 1on1 defenders in the game and that’s an incredibly rare quality for someone his age.

He’s not coasting on hype. He comes as advertised, but he’s only one man. The Sabres are an incredibly flawed team and no one player is going to fix that.

I’m not underrating Makar’s defensive game at all. In fact, I’ve said nothing about it. He’s a dynamic talent whose skill and creativity with the puck make him a lot of fun to watch. He’s going to be a great player for a long time.

I’m not arguing, I’m providing reason to support my opinion from a neutral perspective. Feel free to disagree, it’s not that serious.

So literally just hype. You just want to treat it as reality

Copy paste my last response since you seem to like parroting vague variants of said hype as your own, instead of actually formulating a defensible position

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Very close but Buffalo

Dahlin is better than Makar. Stop this.

Eichel is the most underrated forward in the game. Slight edge to Mackinnon but it's close.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
So literally just hype. You just want to treat it as reality

Copy paste my last response since you seem to like parroting vague variants of said hype as your own, instead of actually formulating a defensible position
I’m not sure where you’re hearing all this hype from? The Sabres are one of the least talked about teams in pro sports. I’m also unsure what motivation I’d have to disingenuously hype a Buffalo Sabre?

I’ve provided my opinion based on what I’ve seen. Forgive me for not caring if my ‘defensible position’ isn’t up to your standards.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
I’m not sure where you’re hearing all this hype from? The Sabres are one of the least talked about teams in pro sports. I’m also unsure what motivation I’d have to disingenuously hype a Buffalo Sabre?

I’ve provided my opinion based on what I’ve seen. Forgive me for not caring if my ‘defensible position’ isn’t up to your standards.

Oh put a sock in it. You’re being purposefully disingenuous. Dahlin has been the most hyped defenseman in the league since before he was drafted

Anyone with an ounce of awareness in the league could tell you

Nevermind how you’re trying to parrot that hype as your “opinion”. You’re not a neutral perspective. You’re a uninformed one

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Oh put a sock in it. You’re being purposefully disingenuous. Dahlin has been the most hyped defenseman in the league since before he was drafted

Anyone with an ounce of awareness in the league could tell you

Nevermind how you’re trying to parrot that hype as your “opinion”. You’re not a neutral perspective. You’re a uninformed one
Key word: Before. As an NHL’er? Like the rest of the Sabres he’s very much an afterthought compared to other young stars.

I live in the media hub of the NHL and the only time you hear of Dahlin or the Sabres is when they’re playing on the broadcast. Currently, Makar gets a lot more love from the Canadian media and I’m not even sure how you’d argue otherwise. He’s expected to be one of the next group of young Canadian defenseman and has a number of people pretty excited. Rightfully so.

:laugh: ah yes, the ‘you don’t agree with me so you don’t know what you’re talking about’ argument. Good day, sir.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Key word: Before. As an NHL’er? Like the rest of the Sabres he’s very much an afterthought compared to other young stars.

I live in the media hub of the NHL and the only time you hear of Dahlin or the Sabres is when they’re playing on the broadcast. Currently, Makar gets a lot more love from the Canadian media and I’m not even sure how you’d argue otherwise. He’s expected to be one of the next group of young Canadian defenseman and has a number of people pretty excited. Rightfully so.

:laugh: ah yes, the ‘you don’t agree with me so you don’t know what you’re talking about’ argument. Good day, sir.
Nope, he’s still treated as the next best defenseman. See literally any poll or discussion on it in the past years

Media coverage =/= hype

ffs, you literally stated your opinion was “he comes as advertised”. You know it’s there, you’re just being disingenuous

You don’t know what you’re talking about because you literally don’t have an opinion outside of “hype is real”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad