Buffalo Duo vs. Aves Duo

Who do you got?

• Total voters

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Easy to vote for the Avs guys since both are better. I suppose you can hope Dahlin closes the gap but for now it's the Avs.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Homer-voted the Avs duo, but it’s very close in my mind and can’t really blame people for going with the Buffalo guys.

Dahlin - Makar:

I give the edge long term to Dahlin. Mostly because I think he’ll live up to his draft hype as being the top defender in the game. His combination of size, skating, and IQ should make him excellent defensively. Makar’s defence as a rookie impressed me, but it’s going to be hard for him to defend as well as Dahlin, given the size/reach advantage of Rasmus.

On the offensive side, Dahlin is so nimble and creative I think he’ll put up big numbers as well. He does some things better than Makar on that side of the puck imo. He’s a little niftier with his hands and has a better slap shot. I personally still think Makar will continue to produce more 5V5 because of his superior explosion and top end speed.

MacKinnon - Eichel

I prefer MacKinnon by a bit moving forward. Eichel is an amazing talent who is still improving, but I don’t think he’ll be better than what MacKinnon is now. Maybe as good at his top-end, but I’m not certain. I don’t know if Eichel will have quite the take over game ability that MacKinnon does. I also value what MacK has brought to the post season. Though, in Eichel’s defence, he hasn’t had a chance to prove himself yet. MacKinnon’s led a poorly constructed roster to the playoffs in the past. Eichel hasn’t done that yet. I’m sure Buffalo will turn it around soon, I just haven’t seen it to this point.

Overall the two pairs are quite close. I can understand the argument from both sides.

Last edited:

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Now or going forward?

Right now I think this is the Avs duo. But in a year or 2 I think Buffalo's 2 will surpass them.

I easily take Dahlin over Makar and Eichel being 2 years younger than Mack makes me think he can reach, or at least be near his level.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
MacKinnon likely has peaked over Eichel although I wouldn't be surprised to see Eichel go crazy next year if they actually surround him with some talent.

I think Dahlin is every bit as good as Makar right now and his potential is much greater given he's a full ice defenseman versus the offensive powerhouse Makar.

So I go Buff.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Now or going forward?

Right now I think this is the Avs duo. But in a year or 2 I think Buffalo's 2 will surpass them.

I easily take Dahlin over Makar and Eichel being 2 years younger than Mack makes me think he can reach, or at least be near his level.
Eichel is only 14 months younger than MacKinnon. at 23 and 24, that is hardly a difference. The further players get away from a draft, the less that matters. MacKinnon was among the youngest in his class in 2013, and Eichel is among the oldest in the class of 2015. The age gap is actually bigger between Dahlin and Makar despite them only being 1 draft apart.

If someone is choosing Buffalo in this poll, they are heavily gambling on either Makar's season being a bit inflated due to some of his underlying numbers and that Dahlin will gain significantly on Makar due to 18 months still being a sizable difference for a 20-year-old and a 21-year-old at the NHL level for defencemen.

I'd gamble on the Avs duo right now. Not that I'm locked into that opinion long-term or its a AINEC.

Reactions: Dominance

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Eichel is only 14 months younger than MacKinnon. at 23 and 24, that is hardly a difference. The further players get away from a draft, the less that matters. MacKinnon was among the youngest in his class in 2013, and Eichel is among the oldest in the class of 2015. The age gap is actually bigger between Dahlin and Makar despite them only being 1 draft apart.

If someone is choosing Buffalo in this poll, they are heavily gambling on either Makar's season being a bit inflated due to some of his underlying numbers and that Dahlin will gain significantly on Makar due to 18 months still being a sizable difference for a 20-year-old and a 21-year-old at the NHL level for defencemen.

I'd gamble on the Avs duo right now. Not that I'm locked into that opinion long-term or its a AINEC.
Their age isnt 2 full years but Mackinnon has 2 full seasons on Eichel. I think if Buffalo can improve, Eichels numbers can be near what Mackinnon is doing now. I actually think Eichel has the ability right now, just being in a much worse situation means his numbers arent as pretty.

For me the gap between Dahlin and Makar is larger. Dahlin projects to be much better going forward. Makar is putting up points in a great situation, while Dahlin doesnt produce as much but should be a much better 2 way presence. I think he is already better in his own end. I think Makar gets overrated due to putting up points. He is a great player but Dahlin looks to be a perennial Norris threat.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Their age isnt 2 full years but Mackinnon has 2 full seasons on Eichel. I think if Buffalo can improve, Eichels numbers can be near what Mackinnon is doing now. I actually think Eichel has the ability right now, just being in a much worse situation means his numbers arent as pretty.

For me the gap between Dahlin and Makar is larger. Dahlin projects to be much better going forward. Makar is putting up points in a great situation, while Dahlin doesnt produce as much but should be a much better 2 way presence. I think he is already better in his own end. I think Makar gets overrated due to putting up points. He is a great player but Dahlin looks to be a perennial Norris threat.
Dahlin looked lost in his own end a ton this year. Especially engaging in very risky plays trying to skate it out leading to turnovers that were put in the back of the net.

The age difference between MacKinnon and Eichel really doesn't matter at this point. 14 months for 23 and 24-year-olds (soon to be 24-25) is not a factor for centers who are elite. Even league experience is hardly at play.

Reactions: Dominance

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Makar is better in his own end right now than Dahlin imo. Like I said in my previous post I expect Dahlin to be the best defenceman in the game, but you’re overrating where his game was at this season.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Dahlin looked lost in his own end a ton this year. Especially engaging in very risky plays trying to skate it out leading to turnovers that were put in the back of the net.
He had his moments but this is lazy hyperbole and not reflective of the year he had.

Reactions: dukeofjive

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Exactly, Dahlin put up 80 + pts as a teenager and will play his 3rd NHL season younger than Makar was this season.
Dahlin better get to work on the offensive side of the puck, he has 13 goals in 147 games. Makar has 12 in 57 games and if you include last years playoffs he has 13 when he stepped in and looked like a veteran. If Dahlin is supposed to be way better than Makar then look out Bobby Orr because we are going to have a new Goat on defense, but he has a long long way to go to accomplish that.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I’d take the Avs. #1C is what I’d pick first to build my team around. Talent-wise, it’s close, but I think Mack wants it more. I’d give the edge to a Dahlin on D. I’d expect both will be regulars in the Norris conversation. And it’s not nothing that the Avs are already winning with their duo. It’s a team game, blah, blah, blah, but it is a question you don’t have to ask with the Avs but do with the Sabres.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Dahlin better get to work on the offensive side of the puck, he has 13 goals in 147 games. Makar has 12 in 57 games and if you include last years playoffs he has 13 when he stepped in and looked like a veteran. If Dahlin is supposed to be way better than Makar then look out Bobby Orr because we are going to have a new Goat on defense, but he has a long long way to go to accomplish that.

When Makar was Dahlins age he put up 5 goals and 16 assists up in a College season. Dahlin put up 43 points as an 18 year old in the NHL. Makar was still in the AJHL at that age. As a 19 year old Dahlin had 41 points in 50 something NHL games on a crap team. I think Rasmus Dahlin will be fine and is quite ok offensively. Watch the kid play.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
When Makar was Dahlins age he put up 5 goals and 16 assists up in a College season. Dahlin put up 43 points as an 18 year old in the NHL. Makar was still in the AJHL at that age. As a 19 year old Dahlin had 41 points in 50 something NHL games on a crap team. I think Rasmus Dahlin will be fine and is quite ok offensively. Watch the kid play.

I agree with the last part of what you said, but development isn’t linear. Just because a player is better than another player at 18 when the other is 19 doesn’t mean that it will always be the case moving forward.

Dahlin is going to be amazing. Probably the best D in the league, but I just don’t think you can apply this kind of logic to player development.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I agree with the last part of what you said, but development isn’t linear. Just because a player is better than another player at 18 when the other is 19 doesn’t mean that it will always be the case moving forward.

Dahlin is going to be amazing. Probably the best D in the league, but I just don’t think you can apply this kind of logic to player development.
Agreed. I think Makar, Heiskanen and Dahlin are special already. Can’t imagine when these guys are 25-27. I was simply saying what Dahlin was doing as a teen in the NHL is unheard of. No reason to think he won’t continue to develop as he fills out that large frame of his. He outscored all of the forwards from the last two drafts as well, something that’s pretty unique to see a defenseman doing at his age.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Agreed. I think Makar, Heiskanen and Dahlin are special already. Can’t imagine when these guys are 25-27. I was simply saying what Dahlin was doing as a teen in the NHL is unheard of. No reason to think he won’t continue to develop as he fills out that large frame of his. He outscored all of the forwards from the last two drafts as well, something that’s pretty unique to see a defenseman doing at his age.

He was also outplayed by a defenceman from his own draft class this year, but he’s still been quite impressive and is going to take massive leaps the next couple seasons. I have no doubt about that.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This poll has come up before.

I think most people exaggerate the gap between MacKinnon and Eichel. I’m not even sure there’s a gap.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Makar himself has been more impressive then Dhalin.
Mackinnon is just a freak of nature.

Avs combo rather quite easily.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad