Buffalo Duo vs. Aves Duo

Who do you got?

• Total voters

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Cale makar is 5.11 and only 2 kilo lighter than 6.3 ramus dahlin which means, since we're talking about professionals here that makar is very much more physically developed than rasmus who's still have the body of a young boy. I think people underestimate how much difference it is in stenght and explosiveness.

I think it's safe to say that makar won't develop much more than this physically whole dahlin has a good 20 pound of muscle to put on his body.

This is kind of an aron ekblad situation when he bursted onto the scene looking like a 30 year old and every Canadian on this forum was so sure he'd be better than Karlsson sooner rather than later but turned out not worthy enough to fill up Karlssons water bottle.

I am sorry to say but ramsus is going to dwarf these 2 young defensemen in makar and hudges. It will be the same talk again like how it was with karlsson, desperately finding the yearly career year or a defensman weather its peitrangelo subban weber doughty letang etc etc etc.. I understand that people are tired of seeing a swede on top for the past 25 years however it will continue and you will all look very silly for comparing a 22 year old man to a kid in the end.

We shall see rasmus 21 year old season compared to makar, however, it won't be next season because hell be only 20 it will be the season after that. And before u say he has more experience, that's because makar wasn't simply good enough to play in nhl at rasmus age.

Reactions: lauraP

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Cale makar is 5.11 and only 2 kilo lighter than 6.3 ramus dahlin which means, since we're talking about professionals here that makar is very much more physically developed than rasmus who's still have the body of a young boy. I think people underestimate how much difference it is in stenght and explosiveness.

I think it's safe to say that makar won't develop much more than this physically whole dahlin has a good 20 pound of muscle to put on his body.

This is kind of an aron ekblad situation when he bursted onto the scene looking like a 30 year old and every Canadian on this forum was so sure he'd be better than Karlsson sooner rather than later but turned out not worthy enough to fill up Karlssons water bottle.

I am sorry to say but ramsus is going to dwarf these 2 young defensemen in makar and hudges. It will be the same talk again like how it was with karlsson, desperately finding the yearly career year or a defensman weather its peitrangelo subban weber doughty letang etc etc etc.. I understand that people are tired of seeing a swede on top for the past 25 years however it will continue and you will all look very silly for comparing a 22 year old man to a kid in the end.

We shall see rasmus 21 year old season compared to makar, however, it won't be next season because hell be only 20 it will be the season after that. And before u say he has more experience, that's because makar wasn't simply good enough to play in nhl at rasmus age.

You make it sound like there’s a 5 year age difference between Dahlin and Makar. It’s 18 months and one of them has been developing at the NHL level for two years and it’s not Makar.

I think most agree, myself included, that Dahlin is going to surpass Makar and every other defenceman eventually, but it doesn’t mean he’s going to ‘dwarf’ these other young defenceman.

Btw... if you think Dahlin adding muscle means he’s going to match Makar’s explosiveness, you’re dreaming. His burst has nothing to do with strength. He’s been stopping and starting like that since he was with the Brooks Bandits.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
close but there is a noticeable gap between mack and eichel and only a slight gap between the D prospects (if any at all)

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
You make it sound like there’s a 5 year age difference between Dahlin and Makar. It’s 18 months and one of them has been developing at the NHL level for two years and it’s not Makar.

I think most agree, myself included, that Dahlin is going to surpass Makar and every other defenceman eventually, but it doesn’t mean he’s going to ‘dwarf’ these other young defenceman.

Btw... if you think Dahlin adding muscle means he’s going to match Makar’s explosiveness, you’re dreaming. His burst has nothing to do with strength. He’s been stopping and starting like that since he was with the Brooks Bandits.

With the muscles he's going to add he's going to become stronger and more explosive, I am not saying he's going to become as explosive as makar however midgets like makar will think twice when a fully grown rasmus is going to flatten him and give him a consussion and with that in mind ramus will naturally have more room to exercise his skills which is even better than makar overall.

Weight and strenght matters in physical sports that's why boxing has diffent weight classes and that's why nhl has had more sucesssful 6ft plus players than 5ft players.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
With the muscles he's going to add he's going to become stronger and more explosive, I am not saying he's going to become as explosive as makar however midgets like makar will think twice when a fully grown rasmus is going to flatten him and give him a consussion and with that in mind ramus will naturally have more room to exercise his skills which is even better than makar overall.

Weight and strenght matters in physical sports that's why boxing has diffent weight classes and that's why nhl has had more sucesssful 6ft plus players than 5ft players.

It isn’t the 90’s anymore. The game has changed. Size has never mattered less than it does right now. Sure, Dahlin’s size will give him some advantages that over Makar, but the reverse is true as well. Makar the midget is going to skate circles around many bigger players.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011

Makar is pretty much the same size as Karlsson and Bourque and they did ok.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Sure they did but wayne Bobby and lemiux did better
I think you better temper your expectations a little bit if you think Dahlin is going to reach the level of the three greatest players to play the game. A little more offensive Victor Hedman is what you realistically should expect not Bobby Orr. There is nothing generational about his game. He should at least be a ppg d man by now and he’s nowhere close

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
To clarify for those who don't understand the parallel. It was to compare historically players that were great under 6feet to the ones who's taller. I looked det the top 30 list and while there are some impressive names like Karlsson and Crosby among a few others it really drops of pretty quick in comparison to the tall ones

This means that it's more likely that a tall player is going to be greater than a short as per average if some of u don't understand what I mean. Its not to believe ramus is going to be one or the greatest in the game but that makar is going to be pretty ordinary. Good but ordinary.

People were talking about rielly as he was the second coming of Karlsson as well but who's talk about him now. And who will talk about makar after next season I wonder? Not so many I think.. They'll be busy basking in want rasmus will be doing.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
To clarify for those who don't understand the parallel. It was to compare historically players that were great under 6feet to the ones who's taller. I looked det the top 30 list and while there are some impressive names like Karlsson and Crosby among a few others it really drops of pretty quick in comparison to the tall ones

This means that it's more likely that a tall player is going to be greater than a short as per average if some of u don't understand what I mean. Its not to believe ramus is going to be one or the greatest in the game but that makar is going to be pretty ordinary. Good but ordinary.

People were talking about rielly as he was the second coming of Karlsson as well but who's talk about him now. And who will talk about makar after next season I wonder? Not so many I think.. They'll be busy basking in want rasmus will be doing.

Wow, I guess someone needs to let Nikita Zadorov know that he is, in fact, the best player on our team and not Nathan MacKinnon.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Wow, I guess someone needs to let Nikita Zadorov know that he is, in fact, the best player on our team and not Nathan MacKinnon.
You know there are exceptions to the rules. Sometimes ugly parents get a pretty kid. And there are some woman who may even throw a stone further than me. However it's not to be expected.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
I'll take the Avs as they have the 3rd best player in the league. Love Eichel, but he's more of a Pettersson/Matthews tier player still.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
MacKinnon is better than Draisaitl he just doesn't have as gaudy of offensive numbers due to Draisaitl saving all of his defensive energy to play more in the offensive zone. No dig, MacKinnon is just a player that has more substance than Draisaitl, despite Drai having insane numbers/offensive skill. Helps to have a video game level powerplay last year (won't be as good next year) and Connor McDavid playing over 500 minutes with you lol. Nice try though @McDavidCrushedLarkin

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

Imagine believing that Makar is going to be ordinary.

upload_2020-7-26_9-39-7.gif

howboutahug

Mar 20, 2018
Rocky Mountains

A "Good but ordinary" quote can only come from someone who has never really watched him play. There's just no way someone could ever watch this kid and ordinary pops into their head.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Eichel is only 14 months younger than MacKinnon. at 23 and 24, that is hardly a difference. The further players get away from a draft, the less that matters. MacKinnon was among the youngest in his class in 2013, and Eichel is among the oldest in the class of 2015. The age gap is actually bigger between Dahlin and Makar despite them only being 1 draft apart.

If someone is choosing Buffalo in this poll, they are heavily gambling on either Makar's season being a bit inflated due to some of his underlying numbers and that Dahlin will gain significantly on Makar due to 18 months still being a sizable difference for a 20-year-old and a 21-year-old at the NHL level for defencemen.

I'd gamble on the Avs duo right now. Not that I'm locked into that opinion long-term or its a AINEC.

This was the difference for me, as well the team situation for Makar was more ideal as the Sabers are a bit of a hot mess as an organization.

Mar 26, 2010
All 4 players in this poll are top tier.

Eichel is Not as far behind MacKinnon as some have suggested. Incredible hockey player.

Makar and Dahlin are the two very best young D men in the NHL. No one else is even close. They are tiers above the pack.

Emell

Oct 11, 2015
Once Buffalo gets better as a team people will see. It's like they forget how mediocre Mckinnon was just 3 years ago when Colorado was a bad team
Nate was actually a worse player then, though.

Him putting it together is the biggest driving force on the Avs getting good

Reactions: Mac Attack

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

It's not makars fault that Rasmus still has the body of a boy despite being only 18 months younger. Maybe he should get the work ethic to train his body.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
It's not makars fault that Rasmus still has the body of a boy despite being only 18 months younger. Maybe he should get the work ethic to train his body.

Again some are late bloomers. We can compare Karlsson to ekblad and their first year and the future after thet which we all already know. One of those early manchild did a lot better than Karlsson to begin with but it's not ekblad who's going into history books as one or the greats.

Furthermore there is a huge difference in 18 months of training especially with the potential use of anabolic steroids which is pretty likely being used as it could be the difference or earning 6m a year and 10mil a year. But that's just speculation, but I've seen some remarkable transformations over the years.

But even so without it 18 month you can do a lot if you have it as your profession.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Again some are late bloomers. We can compare Karlsson to ekblad and their first year and the future after thet which we all already know. One of those early manchild did a lot better than Karlsson to begin with but it's not ekblad who's going into history books as one or the greats.

Furthermore there is a huge difference in 18 months of training especially with the potential use of anabolic steroids which is pretty likely being used as it could be the difference or earning 6m a year and 10mil a year. But that's just speculation, but I've seen some remarkable transformations over the years.

But even so without it 18 month you can do a lot if you have it as your profession.

Aaron Ekblad plays nothing like Karlsson or Makar. His game requires muscles to be better in front of the net and boards while Karlsson could have stayed thin (and he still is) and still be more explosive. If anything it shows that height doesn't mean a player is better than another.

Explosiveness is also not something you can necessarily just train for. Just like I can never train to jump as high as Jordan; Makars explosiveness is genetics. He's born with high twitch genes.

Makar is like Mackinnon; guys who showed up in the league as physical power beasts and will continue to get better as their game gains more polish. It's not just the physical side that can be improved.

I totally understand that some players are late bloomers; which is actually what Makar is. If he was noticed earlier in his junior career he would have gone first overall.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
So... now we’re comparing Makar to Ekblad, who is a good player in his own right, but is completely different than Makar. Add to that we’re considering that Makar might be a roid user. Yikes.

upload_2020-7-27_10-2-33.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad