OT: Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Hi. I'm not sure if anyone currently lives in the DC area but I recently received a job offer for a firm in the DC area (North Bethesda, which apparently is very expensive). If anyone is familiar with the area, do you have any recommendations for places to live that are safe, (relatively) affordable, easily commutable (hopefully via public transit but I would consider driving) and quiet? I don't need any night life (and I'm sure if I do, I can find some). The general feel I'm getting is Germantown/Gaithersburg but I really don't know anything about the area. Thank you in advance for any advice.

I'm actually in central VA, near Richmond. DC is 90 miles or so away. There are folks that live in this area that take the train to DC everyday. I know that there are tons of people that live from Fredericksburg going north that commute to DC for work. One of my friends used to work for Microsoft, and the DC office is right on the Maryland border. He would take Amtrak in, and get some work or reading done on the ride up.
The cost of living is much, much cheaper the farther south from DC you go. But you have to put up with the longer commute, and the cost of train/rail passes.
It all depends on what's important to you and for your quality of life needs.

I couldn't drive in that beltway traffic everyday. I'd go nuts. Just my 2 cents.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Finishing cleaning out the stuff at my desk today for our office relocation. I have not opened one of these shelves in over 6 months, prompting me to throw most of it in the recycler.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Finishing cleaning out the stuff at my desk today for our office relocation. I have not opened one of these shelves in over 6 months, prompting me to throw most of it in the recycler.

That's no fun. It took me two weeks to clean out my old office before I left for the new job.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Spending 23 of the next 31 hours at work but it's worth it to have Friday and Saturday off for various functions my son has.

Though it also means I have to work Father's Day. I would have used a vacation day for it but banking as much vacation time as I can for after the baby is born. Aside my from week in July.

Penalty Killa

glitter skates
Oct 1, 2007
Sabres Nation
Spending 23 of the next 31 hours at work but it's worth it to have Friday and Saturday off for various functions my son has.

Though it also means I have to work Father's Day. I would have used a vacation day for it but banking as much vacation time as I can for after the baby is born. Aside my from week in July.

I hear you. Clock is spending thee weeks with me after Little Man gets here. Two kids under two...yeah, I'm gonna want Clock around.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's no fun. It took me two weeks to clean out my old office before I left for the new job.

I cleaned/cleared/condensed when I moved buildings last time, then did it again when I switched desks. I basically have one shelf that had framed photos of the family on it and this other that has bits of office brickabrack and some old paperwork. There are a few guys who've been in their desks for 7, 8, 9 years who are still weeding through things. I'm wired for it right now with doing the same thing at home. :biglaugh:

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I hear you. Clock is spending thee weeks with me after Little Man gets here. Two kids under two...yeah, I'm gonna want Clock around.

I get 16 days and will have used 7 by the time the baby is born. So I'll have 9 left to use. When you add in my two days each week off I should be able to take 2 weeks off.

It'll be hard to go back to work after 2 weeks. I've never been off than many consecutive days since I started working.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Hi. I'm not sure if anyone currently lives in the DC area but I recently received a job offer for a firm in the DC area (North Bethesda, which apparently is very expensive). If anyone is familiar with the area, do you have any recommendations for places to live that are safe, (relatively) affordable, easily commutable (hopefully via public transit but I would consider driving) and quiet? I don't need any night life (and I'm sure if I do, I can find some). The general feel I'm getting is Germantown/Gaithersburg but I really don't know anything about the area. Thank you in advance for any advice.

I used to live in Richmond, and moved to DC about a year and a half ago. As OG said, the Richmond area up to Fredericksburg is where you will find the cheapest housing. However, when you take 95 up, you will want to kill yourself. If you are not driving, then it is not too bad. A couple co-workers live in Stafford, VA, which is pretty cheap and about half way between DC and Fredericksville. There's also a train that allows you to commute to Union Station.

Basically most of DC is pretty nice. The places to stay away from are anywhere south of Navy Yard on the Green Line and anywhere east of Eastern Market on the Blue line.

If you are close to a metro, the area the job is in is the red line. The redline breaks down like 5 times a day, so if thats how you want to commute, expect to be late a lot.

As to affordable, it all depends on what you want. Our original place was only $1,400 a month, but it was in a crappy part of town and I had only 2 weeks to find a place. We just moved into a brand new building across the street from the Nationals Park and that's $2,400 a month, with parking.

Use Zillow too when looking for a place. http://www.zillow.com/homes/bethesda,-md_rb/

You can filter it to show you just apartments instead of houses for sale. That gives you an idea of the rent in any given area.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So what are some good names for a Buffalo-based sports franchise that haven't been used already?

Buffalo Buffalo? (someone had to) :D

Buffalo Wings? Though there was that roller hockey team...

Buffalo Bridgebuilders? I mean, look at the amazing work they've done on the Peace Bridge in the last 535696573 years.

Buffalo Soldier? Singular, of course.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Speaking of moving, it looks like I will be moving from the southtowns to the west side in about six months leaving behind my sweet, sweet FiOS. What are my options for internet in the city?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Buffalo Rat B--tards

Nothing to do with Buffalo, I just think it makes a fine name. Logo can be cartoon rat head with a smug wink.

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
Speaking of moving, it looks like I will be moving from the southtowns to the west side in about six months leaving behind my sweet, sweet FiOS. What are my options for internet in the city?

Slim pickings compared to what you are used to. Time Warner cable modem or verizon DSL. Neither deliver what they promise at the price point you pay.

Clock

May 13, 2006
I've been working on putting chair rail up in the kid's nursery... first I was making the cuts upside down, then I was messing the angles up, etc.

It's been both fun and frustrating trying to get this right, but it's been fun picking up a few more handyman skills. What I'd REALLY like to do, eventually, is learn how to do drywall respectably, then parlay all of that into continuing to finish our basement. Gotta start planning a man cave.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I've been working on putting chair rail up in the kid's nursery... first I was making the cuts upside down, then I was messing the angles up, etc.

It's been both fun and frustrating trying to get this right, but it's been fun picking up a few more handyman skills. What I'd REALLY like to do, eventually, is learn how to do drywall respectably, then parlay all of that into continuing to finish our basement. Gotta start planning a man cave.

Drywall is trial and error. Just start on an area that will be covered up and practice -- less is more too when mudding since it's easier to sand a thin layer later than to create a lot of dust sanding down the Alps.

Penalty Killa

glitter skates
Oct 1, 2007
Sabres Nation
A part of my company benefits included getting a will, living will, health care proxy done by a lawyer. The lawyer we used was SO old school. First, his office is in this old building that looked like a funeral home. Second, he didn't have a computer in his office and wrote everything out by hand. Finally, his wife was his assistant and you can tell he treats her like a typist from Mad Men. But hey, it was free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad