Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Now who in the world could have seen this coming???

Incredibly frustrating because he probably should have had it done in August, and he'd already be 7 months into rehab. Now, best case scenario is that he's back at the end of next season.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Incredibly frustrating because he probably should have had it done in August, and he'd already be 7 months into rehab. Now, best case scenario is that he's back at the end of next season.

Yep, and that was my point then and it still stands. Stupid to try and let this thing magically heal itself when it was clear it would not.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
How did they mismanage this so bad? The Red Sox doctors are inept and Sale is too stubborn for his own good. Should've been done months ago.

Good luck being admitted into a surgical unit at this point in time in our country anyway.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Ha, the Red Sox are a billion dollar operation. They will have no problem scheduling this surgery. Don't think Dr. James Andrews is treating Corona patients.

Reactions: CDJ

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
By the way, this baseball season might not even get off the ground until months down the line--if at all.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
By the way, this baseball season might not even get off the ground until months down the line--if at all.
We'll be back to normal by May. Like, the worst case scenario is June/July. There's no way at all this cancels the entire season.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
As much as it is frustrating because he waited too long, you can't ignore the playoffs and coming in on short / no rest to taking innings and win games out of the bullpen. Same goes for Eovaldi.

Sucks they pushed themselves too hard over the careers and in the WS that year but without them doing that, no trophy in Boston.

If we should be upset at anyone, it's Dombrowski and mgmt. Can't fault a player for giving it his all to the point the arm falls off. It's not like Panda or Sabathia who don't take care of themselves.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
NBA and NHL are planning for July/August at the earliest, so this could impact the baseball season far longer than you think...

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Big question is who was behind the delay? Was it Sale because he didn't want to get cut or the Sox because they wanted to get something out of their investment before he got it?

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Sale went to see Dr. James Andrews last August. He was told he didn't need surgery then.

Are the Red Sox supposed to overrule his medical opinion?

Last August? I thought he saw a few Drs just within the last month or so.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
NBA and NHL are planning for July/August at the earliest, so this could impact the baseball season far longer than you think...

Exactly. And even that is up in the air. Nobody knows. So if MLB started in August you're gonna have a 2 month season? Unlike indoor sports, baseball in mid November? No thanks.

Reactions: LSCII

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
We'll be back to normal by May. Like, the worst case scenario is June/July. There's no way at all this cancels the entire season.

I wish I could believe that, but I don't see it. All it takes is a few people to keep this thing going on a loop until the vaccine is out. And there's no way a vaccine will be out in the next few months.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Last August? I thought he saw a few Drs just within the last month or so.

didn’t see them, they were sent updated scans of his elbow though and they determined no surgery yet as the UCL remains intact. Fact is you don’t get it until the world-renown doctors say you get it. Doesn’t matter what you as a fan think

The good/bad news is we may not have baseball anyway at this rate. According to the ESPN article the current situation helped reinforce the decision made today to get the surgery. Apparently he could have kept trying to rehab but he didn’t want to risk the 2021 season so since he may not be missing out on much in 2020 it would be tough to argue with the decision here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad