Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When it comes to figuring out what the 2020 Major League Baseball season will look like it is impossible to predict specifics. But according to a report in The Athletic, MLB is proceeding with the notion that we won't see real games until May at the earliest.
In the piece written by Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich, it states:

A day after he chose to delay the start of the season, commissioner Rob Manfred met with the executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association, Tony Clark, and other top officials in Arizona. The list of issues the sides must resolve is long, with topics ranging from service time and contract bonuses to practical matters of scheduling. At this point, industry sources believe it is unlikely the season will begin before May, which is dependent, of course, on the containment of the virus.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see how they structure what's left of the season. I think we can reasonably assume that coronapanic will be over by then - May at earliest, August seems to be a worst case scenario. Let's say late May/early June.

So then you have slightly over half a year, say ninety to a hundred games. Consider it like a strike year with a condensed schedule. How do they reconfigure that? The easy solution would be to eliminate interleague. 10 games against divisional opponents for 40, then 6 against each of the other 10 teams in the league for 60....except with the Astros going to the AL and 15-teams in each league now means it's not possible to do that without having a team take an off-day or even off-series every week.

So I guess possible solutions would be to retain some limited interleague, then condense the amount of games against other divisions, so like AL East only plays road series against AL Central opponents and AL West going to AL East, AL Central going to West, etc. Or one of the teams volunteers to switch leagues for one year only, but that messes up the math too. Or they scrap divisions altogether and just play 3 games against everyone, not realistic.

Seems like it'll be a fun mathematical and geographic exercise though.

I figure one of two things happens:

1. Manfred uses this as an opportunity to unilaterally impose the DH on both leagues and restructures divisions to his geographical liking in an attempt to phase out the two leagues
2. They just continue the schedule as it was scheduled starting from the point where it's safe to start playing and consider everything before it just cancelled. If teams end the year with uneven records or an imbalanced schedule, that's just tough titties because the world has more important things to deal with than whether the Mets missed a divisional title by a game because they had to play the Yankees 6 times and the Nats got the Orioles.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Somehow he seems to be doing a good job as AD at Sacred Heart. I am not sure how but they have a good hockey team this year and have plans for a new on campus rink that will put them on Hockey East's radar for a 12th team. Seems like a very odd fit for him to be an athletic director, but then again he's a man of many talents! Invented the wrap sandwich, international ballroom dancing superstar...

My great uncle was a HS and college sports junkie.

He lived in Connecticut when Valentine was in HS and said he was the best HS athlete he ever saw in each of FB, Hoops and baseball.

He later lived in Ohio and saw Desmond Howard and some other prominent guys I can’t remember.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I always thought geographic realignment would be great for MLB Philly competing with Boston/NYY in a pennant race would be super exciting. MLB needs a lot more radical change like that.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Your idea is great I always thought geographic realignment would be great for MLB Philly competing with Boston/NYY in a pennant race would be super exciting, MLB needs a lot more radical change like that.
I don't want to take credit for the idea, and I actually don't want that to happen. I like the old leagues just fine.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hopefully it’s pain free

I guess the surgery on the table is a flexor one and not TJ judging by what mlbtraderumors posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad