Buffalo Bills Talk 2018 - The Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills' offensive coordinator Brian Daboll is bringing Josh Allen along slowly

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) - The man in charge of developing the Bills prized rookie quarterback is Brain Daboll. The former Alabama offensive coordinator has been working with Josh Allen through the OTAs and has liked what he’s seen. The rookies are learning more than just the playbook according to Daboll, “Been doing this a long time with rookies at all different positions. It’s such a learning experience for all the rookies, whether it’s a quarterback, running back, tight end. Not only are they coming to a new system and having to adapt and learn an offensive system, they have to learn the people in the building, they have to find a place to live, they have so many different things they have to learn.

“I think Josh is a mature guy who’s handled his responsibilities the right way. He comes in everyday, works hard and proves [himself], listens to the veterans, listens to the coaches. If he makes a mistake one day, he works really hard trying to fix it the next day. He has the right attitude.”

This week, the Bills had OTAs on Monday and Tuesday with Wednesday being an off day. The team will be back on the field Thursday and then will get ready for their three-day mandatory mini-camp starting on Tuesday.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Josh Allen was seventh pick in NFL draft, but remains third string with Buffalo Bills

ORCHARD PARK — Josh Allen may be the future quarterback of the Buffalo Bills, but for right now, he’s a rookie third-stringer, and that’s not changing anytime soon.

“To this point, it’s been Nate (Peterman) and A.J. (McCarron) splitting the 1’s and Josh has been with the 3’s,” coach Sean McDermott reiterated Thursday prior to the start of the Bills’ final OTA session of the spring. “It’s a fluid situation. It’s all part of doing what’s best for our football team and for Josh’s development overall. It’s just what’s the right thing to do at the right time.”

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills OTAs: WR Reilly, DE Odighizuwa get plenty of looks with 1st team

The Bills wrapped up their second-to-last Organized Team Activity Thursday, which was also the last one open to the media before next week’s mandatory minicamp. Here are some notes, videos, and observations:

5 THINGS WE LEARNED FROM WEEK 3 OF OTAS
tre-6-7-photo-use.jpg

The last practice of the week to close out OTAs was intense, but coach McDermott explained how that's been the norm, rather than the exception.

BILLS MINUTE: QUARTERBACKS SPLIT REPS (1:10)
Bills Quarterback's AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman, and Josh Allen split reps during the final week of OTA's and Defensive Lineman Shaq Lawson has a new focus on developing as a pass rusher.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
7 observations from 2018 Buffalo Bills OTAs, Week Three

ORCHARD PARK, NY (WKBW) - In a blink of an eye, the final week of Organized Team Activities for the Buffalo Bills is almost over, and that means we're that much closer to the start of training camp. As the Bills took to the field for their second-to-last voluntary workout on Thursday, there was some movement within the depth chart along with some positive performances.

What stood out from Thursday's session? Seven observations from the Bills day of work:
1) Josh Allen sticking with the 3s
2) Milano's absence noticeable
3) Kerley entrenched with the top unit
4) Groy vs. Bodine
5) Lawson continues along with an added role
6) Taiwan Jones had trouble hanging on to the ball
7) Undrafted wideout showing some progress

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/expo...332563730/10_observations_from_week_3_of.html

Matthew Fairburn | [email protected]

Sean McDermott and the Buffalo Bills have a plan.
Despite persistent questions and the temptation to see rookie quarterback Josh Allen against better competition, the Bill kept him with the No. 3 offense throughout OTAs. That will likely be the case at minicamp next week as well.

Peterman on fire
Ryan Groy getting a shot
Josh Allen update
Shaq Lawson fighting for a role
Sean McDermott impressed by Tremaine Edmunds
No Matt Milano
Big plays on defense

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
AFC East offseason report cards
The Jets seem to have found a quarterback (maybe even more than one), the Bills seemed to make moves with an eye on the future, the Dolphins seem to want a culture change and, dare we say, the Patriots seem to have lost more than they gained

Bills: Letter grade: B-minus. There are probably going to be short-term bumps, but that’s by design to some degree, and it’s hard not to like what Beane and McDermott did in Year 1. And so they get the benefit of the doubt as they kick their rebuilding project into high gear.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills Staying Patient with Open Roster Spot
With the Eric Wood situation resolved and his retirement official as it pertains to the Bills roster, there is an open spot. Buffalo currently has 89 players on their roster. Head coach Sean McDermott explained that there is approach is to be patient and if the right opportunity comes along to make a signing at that time.

“As far as the roster goes, the approach that Brandon (Beane) and I take is that we talk every day and really, it’s not about, and you’ve heard us say this before, it’s not about getting to 90, it’s the right 90,” he said. “We’d rather be patient at this point and just make sure it’s the right player at the right time. I know Brandon and his staff are continuously evaluating that and I know that, when they find the right opportunity, they’ll jump on it.”

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Bills Staying Patient with Open Roster Spot
With the Eric Wood situation resolved and his retirement official as it pertains to the Bills roster, there is an open spot. Buffalo currently has 89 players on their roster. Head coach Sean McDermott explained that there is approach is to be patient and if the right opportunity comes along to make a signing at that time.

“As far as the roster goes, the approach that Brandon (Beane) and I take is that we talk every day and really, it’s not about, and you’ve heard us say this before, it’s not about getting to 90, it’s the right 90,” he said. “We’d rather be patient at this point and just make sure it’s the right player at the right time. I know Brandon and his staff are continuously evaluating that and I know that, when they find the right opportunity, they’ll jump on it.”

That is one thing I love about the Bills. Beans and McDermott seem so in sync, and have the exact same vision of what they want to do with the organization. There’s seemingly zero difference at all. It’s the main reason I have faith that Allen is the right guy.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills Today: Benjamin finally has time to learn the playbook 
1 - Benjamin finally has time to learn the playbook

He’s the Bills number one wide receiver and he is reaching a level of comfort that he had trouble finding last season. It’s never easy to be traded in any professional sport, but in the NFL, in the middle of the season, Kelvin Benjamin went from knowing the Carolina Panthers playbook, to knowing nothing about his new offense.

Benjamin first took the field for the Bills in Week 10 last season, but he was playing a step behind everyone else, and not because of his knee.

“Last season, it was different because I didn’t really learn the playbook,” said Benjamin. “I really only learned that week’s game plan. I’d only know the plays going in this week, and then going into the next week, I had to sort of forget those plays and learn the new ones. I was on a week-to-week basis and I just had to stay extra and kind of just cram it all in.”

Now, Benjamin has to start over with an entirely new offensive playbook including a new offensive coordinator in Brian Daboll, but Benjamin has enjoyed his experience with his new OC so far.

“He’s great, man. I mean because he listens to you,” said Benjamin. “He’s not one of those OCs who just put the playbook in front of you, you know. He asks you questions a lot. He asks you questions about routes that you like, asks you about plays that you like and ‘Do you want to move around? Can you handle this?’ All those types of things, that just show that he cares about you as a player. He cares about you as a person and he wants to win.”

And when it comes to comfort level, Benjamin compares this year and last year as night and day.

“I feel like I’m a QB out there because I know pretty much what everybody’s doing,” said Benjamin. “Last year, I only knew what I was doing.”

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If we end up going 2-14 this season then we are picking top 2. Considering we don't need a QB now (and there isn't even a guarantee a QB will even grade that high) but if we take a huge step back and are picking top 2-3 in 2019 I would hope that we would move from the top 3 down to the 6-7 range to a QB hungry team, pick up an extra 1st and possibly a 2nd also.

That's just going off that doom and gloom scenario. With the talent we have on D, the above average coaching staff and that elite RB I expect the Bills to win at least 5-6 games at the very least. I just don't see us picking top 5 any time soon.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If we end up going 2-14 this season then we are picking top 2. Considering we don't need a QB now (and there isn't even a guarantee a QB will even grade that high) but if we take a huge step back and are picking top 2-3 in 2019 I would hope that we would move from the top 3 down to the 6-7 range to a QB hungry team, pick up an extra 1st and possibly a 2nd also.

That's just going off that doom and gloom scenario. With the talent we have on D, the above average coaching staff and that elite RB I expect the Bills to win at least 5-6 games at the very least. I just don't see us picking top 5 any time soon.
Would anything be before classic Bills than us having the #1 pick, passing on a QB because we don't know about Allen yet, having allen bust, and having that QB become a superstar? :laugh:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Trusting the process may finally lead Brandon Reilly to ultimate goal

If there’s one person who personifies what Bills head coach Sean McDermott means when he talks about “the process,” it could very well be wide receiver Brandon Reilly. In fact, if things go as planned this year for the second-year wideout, the team right want to - literally - use him as the poster child for a “trust the process” marketing campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad