Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Scouting Report | Spencer Long, C/G

Erik Turner - 2/14/2019

The NFL offseason has begun, but for front offices evaluation season never stops. They are continuously looking to improve their rosters through the many avenues that are afforded to NFL teams. While it is the offseason, otherwise known as #DraftSzn, the Bills’ Pro Personnel Department is constantly scouting to add street free agents to the roster to upgrade their roster or to bolster depth. In order to do that, scouts must evaluate their own roster and nail down their own strengths and weaknesses. And as we all know, offensive line is a glaring weakness for the Bills.

So the Bills went out and signed center/guard Spencer Long on Tuesday, reportedly to a three-year deal worth $13 million. The 28-year-old former third-round choice has been a serviceable starter in the NFL. Long has started 44 games in his career, splitting time between center and guard. In 2018, Long started 496 snaps at center for the New York Jets and 309 snaps at left guard. Why did he split time at two positions?

Great question. That’s because Long struggled with injuries. He played the entire season with an injured right hand, suffered a lower leg injury in week 7, retweaked his hand injury in week 9, and even battled an illness which contributed to him missing the Jets’ week 12 matchup against the Titans.

That’s going to be his biggest battle as he enters what many would consider the prime of an NFL player’s career: can he avoid injuries? It is something that he has battled his entire pro and collegiate career. Most notably in Washington, Long had his knee scoped prior to the 2017 season, but he also dealt with leg issues at the University of Nebraska. In 2013, Long had surgery on a torn MCL, which led to him not working out at the Combine, including just lifting, which he apparently skipped because of an appendectomy. The 2012 season as a Cornhusker also wasn’t kind to Long, as he played the entire season with a torn meniscus.

With most of his major medical history out of the way and in honor of draft season, I want to evaluate his play on the field from the perspective of a pro scout. After all, the staff decided to bring him in for things that he can do, not what he cannot.

*All strengths and weaknesses apply to both center and guard unless otherwise specified.

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Broncos will draft another QB I think for sure.

The question is weather Flacco is an upgrade On Keenum I'd think not at this point.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
ANALYSIS

Winners and Losers of Flacco Trade
The Ravens and Broncos shook up the QB free-agency market Wednesday with a deal that will send Joe Flacco to Denver when the new league year starts. Who got the most out of the trade?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Ranking the NFL’s neediest teams ahead of free agency

By ANDY BENOIT - February 12, 2019

The confetti has fallen, the Lombardi Trophy has been raised (by the Patriots, again) and now the NFL offseason begins in earnest. Here’s a look at what each team needs most and why.

6. BUFFALO BILLS

2018 RECORD: 6–10 | PRIMARY NEED: MOBILE GUARD / MOBILE CENTER | CAP SPACE: $79 MILLION

The Bills must use their big, strong, swift QB, Josh Allen, on designed runs behind man-to-man blocking (similar to the ways the Panthers deploy Cam Newton). Success there starts with a mobile guard. Buffalo must find one who can pull-block across the formation, lending dimension to power runs and counters, as well as to play-action passes—tactics that best benefit Allen.

Best potential free agent signing: Mitch Morse, Chiefs

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Who do you like at pick 9 if we hold pat and dont trade down? Then give me your wish list player in the 2nd round.
Honestly I've studied the draft less this year than ever before. I'm no expert by any means. By biggest feeling though is that I just want offense. The abortion of a superbowl notwithstanding, I really feel defensive talent is becoming less and less relevant. If you have a good coach, you can usually scheme yourself to competent defense, which is as much as I care about having (see: McDermott last two years). That said, players I have my eye on in general:

High First Round
DK Metcalf: Seems to be a consensus growing that he's the top talent at WR. I have my concerns, for example him missing so much time with injury. But also, his size. I have no interest in another Kelvin Benjamin type. Much of his highlights are him dominating smaller competition. Now there's also examples of him gaining down the field separation, but what I don't see his him running quick, underneath routes to gain catch and run separation underneeth, which worries me. But I'm no scout. If he really his the bonafide top receiver, best in the class, I have no qualms with using #9 on him.

Any of the Offensive Tackles: I don't know much about them. Williams sounds like the safest, but that was also true about Mike Williams so who knows. An OT at 9 wouldn't be very exciting, but it would be impossible to argue with or find fault in.

Late first/Early second targets
Marquise Brown: I'm seeing him mocked as a second round pick which I find unbelievable. In any event, it doesn't sound like he's being projected as a top 10 pick, so I won't beat that drum. As I've said, he's my favorite receiver by a long shot. The NFL has clearly moved away from the big contested catch receivers and toward small, quick, gain separation receivers. He's likely the fastest receiver in the draft, had superb college production, and has made a career out of gaining separation to excel. He could have Tyreek Hill type big play ability, though he's probably not quite as fast. The kind of speed infusion he would bring to the team is exactly what this offense needs. The fact that he will likely fall because of his size makes him all the more salivating to me.

Paris Campbell: Another burner that I haven't seen getting a lot of love lately. Productive in college and legitimate speed. I don't like him as much as Brown, but I wouldn't complain about adding his speed either. He was Haskin's #1 receiver.

Any other OL: Again, I don't know them. At this point I'd be more open to taking an interior lineman if that's the best lineman on the board. Our OL was trash, can't fault any OL pick.

Josh Jacobs: Yes, I subscribe to the "never a RB in the first round ever" philosophy. But (1) in the event we trade way down; (2) there isn't a WR or OL we like available; and (3) Jacobs really is the real deal, I might get on board. I don't know a lot about Jacobs, most don't, because he hasn't played much. But from what I'm reading, he's being hyped as the best skill set in the draft. He's every bit the model of the modern NFL RB. Good hands, very fast, has the body to play 3 downs, and very very little tread on his tires. Our RB situation is horrid, and if the brass is confident he really is the best RB in the class, I wouldn't hate the pick in the late first. Our offense needs an infusion of talent, even if it comes at the RB position.

Day 2 targets
Bryce Love: Another of my favorite players in the draft. Going into the year he was touted as the top RB in college and future locked first round pick. Then he had an injury plagued year that was capped off with a torn ACL, ouch. Given the type of player he is, undersized speedster, this will just reinforce the narrative on him and push him down draft boards. But given his talent, if healthy he's probably still the most explosive back in the draft. He's Kamara/McCaffrey-lite, electric speed and WR-type ability out of the backfield of in the slot. He's exactly what our offense has been missing from the RB position since Shady started going downhill. I'd love to bring him in and use him at first just as a third down back, let McCoy hone in on just being a between the tackles guy. I'd be ecstatic with him in the second or third.

Any fast receiver:I don't know the other names. But I want speed at the position. If we don't take one of the guys mentioned above in the first or second, a third round receive is imperative. Need youthful speed at the position.

Any other OL: Need to draft at least one somewhere in the first 3 rounds.

A TE: I'm not familiar with the class. Philosophically I'm against taking TE's in the first round because I think they're so hard to project (sort of like goalies in hockey). But I do think grabbing one on day 2 would be a good idea. Fant and Hockenson seem to be the favorite names? I have no preferences.

So those are my guys. I guess if you would ask my dream scenario is would be:
-Trade back and get an extra second
-Late First: Marquise Brown
-Second Round: OL and TE
-Third round: Bryce Love

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
NFL, Kaepernick, Reid decide to resolve pending grievances

The NFL and lawyers for Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid released a joint statement on Friday announcing the resolution of the players' grievances against the league.

The statement reads: "For the past several months, counsel for Mr. Kaepernick and Mr. Reid have engaged in an ongoing dialogue with representatives of the NFL. As a result of those discussions, the parties have decided to resolve the pending grievances. The resolution of this matter is subject to a confidentiality agreement so there will be no further comment by any party."

The NFLPA said in its statement: "Today, we were informed by the NFL of the settlement of the Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid collusion cases. We are not privy to the details of the settlement, but support the decision by the players and their counsel. We continuously supported Colin and Eric from the start of their protests, participated with their lawyers throughout their legal proceedings and were prepared to participate in the upcoming trial in pursuit of both truth and justice for what we believe the NFL and its clubs did to them. We are glad that Eric has earned a job and new contract, and we continue to hope that Colin gets his opportunity as well."

Last edited:

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
NFL, Kaepernick, Reid decide to resolve pending grievances

The NFL and lawyers for Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid released a joint statement on Friday announcing the resolution of the players' grievances against the league.

The statement reads: "For the past several months, counsel for Mr. Kaepernick and Mr. Reid have engaged in an ongoing dialogue with representatives of the NFL. As a result of those discussions, the parties have decided to resolve the pending grievances. The resolution of this matter is subject to a confidentiality agreement so there will be no further comment by any party."

The NFLPA said in its statement: "Today, we were informed by the NFL of the settlement of the Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid collusion cases. We are not privy to the details of the settlement, but support the decision by the players and their counsel. We continuously supported Colin and Eric from the start of their protests, participated with their lawyers throughout their legal proceedings and were prepared to participate in the upcoming trial in pursuit of both truth and justice for what we believe the NFL and its clubs did to them. We are glad that Eric has earned a job and new contract, and we continue to hope that Colin gets his opportunity as well."

Too bad the NFL dropped it's non-for-profit status or we could see on the 990 when they file.

Good job Kaep!!!!

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Raiders, Cardinals among teams with most work this offseason

By Marc Sessler - Around the NFL Writer

The Steelers know firsthand how rapidly the landscape twists and turns in the NFL.

A year ago, Pittsburgh's three-headed monster of Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bellwas viewed by most as the juiciest power trio league-wide.

Twelve months later, Bell is tumbling toward free agency after sitting out the season, while Brown has emerged as potential trade bait following months of angst-ridden back-and-forth with the club.

The Steelers house a pair of rightful heirs in pass catcher JuJu Smith-Schuster and runner James Conner, but losing a pair of All-Pro talents in one offseason would create immediate issues. While Smith-Schuster is a No. 1 receiver in waiting, a post-Brown Steelers squad would be tasked with padding out a wideout room that would suddenly appear shallow, unless you buy into James Washington as a bona-fide emerging talent. Conner, meanwhile, pulled off a convincing Bell impression in 2018, but can he be counted on to mimic that performance year after year?

With Big Ben set to turn 37 in March, the window is tightening for a Steelers squad that can't afford to dump talent while attempting to, at last, topple the Patriots when it matters most. Still, Pittsburgh -- after years of solid drafts and proven player development -- sits in better position than the five teams below with a mountain of work to do before September hits:

Buffalo Bills

Buffalo's stout defense is one argument to keep the Bills off this list, but the other side of the ball is messy.

Coach Sean McDermott always gets the most out of his defensive charges, but the Bills have as much work to do offensively as any team in the NFL. Rookie passer Josh Allen spent Sundays on the run behind a line that couldn't hold off the enemy while operating as PFF's third-worst run-blocking unit.

The ninth overall pick -- one of 10 total selections -- could be used on nasty Florida offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor or -- as my colleague Maurice Jones-Drew projects in his latest mock draft -- Mississippi wideout D.K. Metcalf.

Both would help a flimsy attack that saw only one receiver, Zay Jones, top 30 catches last autumn. The club's second-leading pass catcher was 30-year-old running back LeSean McCoy, while Allen led the Bills in rushing.

For Buffalo's front office, the task ahead is painfully clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad