Buffalo Bills: Offseason - 2019 Schedule Released with NFL Draft Upcoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Not taking talent into account, here is where I see true roster shortages to still be filled in free agency or the draft: TE, DT, LB.

2 of 3 TEs, 3 of 4 DTs, 4 of 5/6 LBs

Yeah - have to think that TE is a certainty in the draft at least somewhere.

I honestly think they're good at LB save for one or two depth guys.

Reactions: Digable5

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Yeah - have to think that TE is a certainty in the draft at least somewhere.

I honestly think they're good at LB save for one or two depth guys.
They’ll probably sign someone to play ST/LB, but I think they also need to consider drafting Alexander’s eventual replacement. Doesn’t need to be an early pick though. Another Matt Milano would be nice.

Ed Oliver and Irv Smith as suggested in the NYUP.com article wouldn’t be a bad result.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What's the knock on Metcalf?

Sure, looks like a 1-trick tony, but Randy Moss was rookie of the year off of basically 1 route, and later developed a better kit to become the 2nd best receiver ever.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012

Sure, looks like a 1-trick tony, but Randy Moss was rookie of the year off of basically 1 route, and later developed a better kit to become the 2nd best receiver ever.

Injuries and speed getting in and out of breaks.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011

He is going to be a 1st rounder...but he was only the 3rd leading receiver on his team even if you pro rate his stats for around half the season that he was injured. (only 26 receptions in 7 games but he did average almost 22 yds per catch) I think the team drafting him is basing it on his potential and his unreal athletic ability. As a poster mentioned he had a neck injury which if you are drafting him high in the 1st round is a concern as opposed to drafting him in the 3rd round. This draft is loaded with Defense in the top 10 and it is also extremely deep at WR. I myself wouldn't be worried about the injury or his lack of a great college resume. What impresses me about him is his work ethic which is evident when you look at him plus his preparation for the combine which leads me to believe he is a hard worker.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
They’ll probably sign someone to play ST/LB, but I think they also need to consider drafting Alexander’s eventual replacement. Doesn’t need to be an early pick though. Another Matt Milano would be nice.

Ed Oliver and Irv Smith as suggested in the NYUP.com article wouldn’t be a bad result.

Does Smith last until the Bills 2nd pick?

I still like the idea of Hockenson in the 1st - then adding potential starters on D in the mid rounds where they have a recent track record of doing that.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He is going to be a 1st rounder...but he was only the 3rd leading receiver on his team even if you pro rate his stats for around half the season that he was injured. (only 26 receptions in 7 games but he did average almost 22 yds per catch) I think the team drafting him is basing it on his potential and his unreal athletic ability. As a poster mentioned he had a neck injury which if you are drafting him high in the 1st round is a concern as opposed to drafting him in the 3rd round. This draft is loaded with Defense in the top 10 and it is also extremely deep at WR. I myself wouldn't be worried about the injury or his lack of a great college resume. What impresses me about him is his work ethic which is evident when you look at him plus his preparation for the combine which leads me to believe he is a hard worker.

Thanks.

I'm a giant proponent of him, even knowing the risks.

In theory, Metcalf - Brown - Beasley is about as good of a setup as you could ask for.

Legit #1 deep guy
Legit #2 with speed
Legit #3 safety net

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Does Smith last until the Bills 2nd pick?

I still like the idea of Hockenson in the 1st - then adding potential starters on D in the mid rounds where they have a recent track record of doing that.
I like Hockenson a lot also....it might be a bit early at pick 9 but if you believe in him enough...why not. It would give Josh a big red zone target and safety valve. Plus like Gronk he already would have a great TE nickname in Hock.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I’d still love to find a way to land Marquise Brown with our first. I know he’s not a stereotypical X, which is what we’re missing in theory, but I really believe he has Tyreek Hill type potential and would love to add his explosiveness to the offense. He could be integrated slowly too, like Hill was, since Brown could start ahead of him on the depth chart. No other offensive player presents more long term upside in my opinion.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

He wasn’t very productive in college, there’s concerns about his agility/route running/quickness, and he’s coming off a massive injury. I’m still undecided on if I would like him at 9, but those are the concerns. Having elite deep speed only gets you so far if you can’t partner that with an ability to stop on a dime and exploit them having to cover you over the top.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I’d still love to find a way to land Marquise Brown with our first. I know he’s not a stereotypical X, which is what we’re missing in theory, but I really believe he has Tyreek Hill type potential and would love to add his explosiveness to the offense. He could be integrated slowly too, like Hill was, since Brown could start ahead of him on the depth chart. No other offensive player presents more long term upside in my opinion.

Where's Brown getting picked

Is there anyway they could trade back & get two picks in the teens / 20s?

If Beane is going all O then TE +Brown might be a nice combination.

I like Hockenson because he seems much less of a risk than most TEs drafted that high - the blocking ability is going to be useful even if everything else fails.

Problem is - if Hock at 9 is considered a reach I wonder how many more picks he lasts?

Right now he's my 2nd choice for Bills after Jonah.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Where's Brown getting picked

Is there anyway they could trade back & get two picks in the teens / 20s?

If Beane is going all O then TE +Brown might be a nice combination.

I like Hockenson because he seems much less of a risk than most TEs drafted that high - the blocking ability is going to be useful even if everything else fails.

Problem is - if Hock at 9 is considered a reach I wonder how many more picks he lasts?

Right now he's my 2nd choice for Bills after Jonah.
Brown seems to usually be mocked in the mid to late first.

I’ve stated my opposition to tight end in the first, especially at 9, but at least it would be an additional attempt to target an offensive weapon for Allen.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Leafs fan here, planning on joining (maybe starting would be more apt) the Bills bandwagon this upcoming season.

I've never watched much NFL, just the superbowl every year. I like the idea of there just being one game a week - it's not a big commitment, and a nice way to spend a Sunday. Every game has huge implications for your season as well, which makes it more exciting.

Anyone have some resources that can give me a quick overview of the key pieces in the system? Obviously Josh Allen, but football rosters are so large its tough to understand a team's pieces at a glance.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Leafs fan here, planning on joining (maybe starting would be more apt) the Bills bandwagon this upcoming season.

I've never watched much NFL, just the superbowl every year. I like the idea of there just being one game a week - it's not a big commitment, and a nice way to spend a Sunday. Every game has huge implications for your season as well, which makes it more exciting.

Anyone have some resources that can give me a quick overview of the key pieces in the system? Obviously Josh Allen, but football rosters are so large its tough to understand a team's pieces at a glance.
The offensive side of the ball is really thin on high-end talent. Josh Allen is really the only one with super high potential, but they just picked up a good center in Morse and a pretty good #2 WR in Jon Brown. Beasley is a good slot receiver as well. But the offensive line is a complete unknown as of today. There are going to be some interesting battles in camp.

On the defensive side of the ball there are quite a few high upside prospect. Tre White (CB), Milano (LB), and Edmunds(MLB) all have sky high potential. They're extremely young, and are looking the part of 8mpact players. Then you have Hyde and Poyer, who are safeties, that are very good as well. They're already in their prime.

The defensive line has some NFL calibre players in Star lotulelei (DT) who's a run stuffer, Trent Murphy (DE), Jerry Hughes (DE), and even Shaq Lawson(DE) is showing promise. Jerry Hughes was an elite pass rusher but hes getting older and past his prime. Jordan Phillips is another guy I like on the line. He's a mean SoB. I'm hoping he'll be a good rotation guy for the next few years. I'd like to see one more impact player added to the defensive line. The secondary and LBs are in really good shape for the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: CraniumCram

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Look st a team depth chart that many roster web sites usually list. There are bills bloggers that post info to follow.

If you think about rosters from a salary cap perspective...football is very different. The only guaranteed money when free agents sign is bonus money. If a team decide to release a player they signed to a 4 year contract last season the timing matters on the dead space it creates. If a team release a player now it hits in the 2019 season which started March 1 iirc. But if a p,Ayer is released after June 1 the can spread out the bonus pay back due against the pack over thus year and next year than just thus year.

One thing the changed was their is a draft salary structure based on position picked where 1st round picks contract are 4 years+ team option for a fifth year while those drafted after gave less term contracts. 4 yrs to UFA status. If no contract tenured thrn a free agent but if an offer is given restricted free agents carry compensation.

With the salary structure of high 1st round picks teams have to structure to compete. With Allen being a first round pick buffalo has 3 yrs to add some more expensive talent before Allen is due comparable starting Wub monet if he can prove himself. Starting qbs make over $20M but based on draft slitrught now thus means buffalo has about $15M to use elsewhere. Same concept is used for other positions

Final team roster is 53 pkayers plus a practice squad of players with 2 yrs or less experience still learning the pro game. Fir example you see a player who played one position in college but you think thus player could be better if they played a different one. An example is shifting a TE to an OL. Or in college a player pkayed de but us smaller size fir that at pro game so you say he coukd be a linebacker or safety.

The final pro roster roughly looks like this:
Offense 3 qb, 3 RB, 1 FB, 5 WR, 3 TE, 8 OL=23 pkayers
Defense 7 DL, 7 LB, 9 DB =23 plAyers
Special teams 1 K, 1Pm 1 long snapper
Thus gives you 49 of 53.
1 position isDzl or LB based on 4/3 or 3/4 defense
1 position is a receiver as a rob, te, or wr
The other 2 players are split between offense and defense a team keeps that’s ayiung prospect to keep and nit go through waivers.

Trades if pkayers rarely happens. Players skill are hard to evaluate because of different styles players play and the dystem and teammates they have. A comoarisdon in hockey us this winger looks great playing with Matthews but he goes to another team and seems to be a shell if their firmer self. You also see this with coaches having different systems that help ior hurt players skill sets.

There are also web sites in football similar to hickeys cap in showing players salary

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I think if he is on their radar....he would be more of a trade back into the 1st candidate. I don't see him going top 10....I do like him and agree with what you say about him. I am not 100% certain but I am pretty convinced our 1st will be a defensive player.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Brown seems to usually be mocked in the mid to late first.

I’ve stated my opposition to tight end in the first, especially at 9, but at least it would be an additional attempt to target an offensive weapon for Allen.
Another WR I like a lot is Andy Isabella...could go anywhere between late 1st to somewhere in the 3rd imo. This draft is loaded at WR for the most part.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce