Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
That's great but the Bills have had 3 drafts under McDermott and or Beane and didn't land a Travis Kelce or a Tyreek Hill..or even a Mecole Hardman. Singletary is a nice piece to add into a RBBC .

If you want to see a recent example look at one of the major Superbowl contenders in SF. Shanahan was hired and they spent 1st round picks on the other side of the ball...because Shanahan was going to make do with later round WR's, a trade for Jummy G, a star TE (they landed in the 5th), and a few high draft picks at tackle.

Well, McDermott is not a Kyle Shanahan. He's a defensive coach and with the exception of the QB every draft the 1st round pick has gone to HIS side of the ball.

If these guys were so good at drafting offensive stars late they would have already done so. None here yet after 3 drafts.

In all fairness, the bills very well could have their version of Kittle in Knox. Kittle has 500 yards receiving as a rookie, Knox had 388.
Not saying he will become that good but judging a draft class in year one is kind of silly, especially for any picks in the 3rd round or later. And especially a guy who didn’t catch a TD as a college player and was generally accepted as a project with sky high potential.

I’ll agree that they have neglected WR. Would have been nice to have DK.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
In all fairness, the bills very well could have their version of Kittle in Knox. Kittle has 500 yards receiving as a rookie, Knox had 388.
Not saying he will become that good but judging a draft class in year one is kind of silly, especially for any picks in the 3rd round or later. And especially a guy who didn’t catch a TD as a college player and was generally accepted as a project with sky high potential.

knox can be a good TE but my god he has awful hands. Hopefully he fixes that.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

I like Knox, it's a nice upside pick. The problem is as you say, it's early and TE's take a while to mature compared to WR's. Maybe we struck gold but we certainly haven't seen enough to mark it as a win yet.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
First World problems. It is not anymore “if” you win, it now has to be “how” you win:help:
Yes generally how the team plays regardless of how the other team plays is a good indicator of how they'll do in other games. A coach isn't going to go "oh ok well we won so nothing to work on then"

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
A team that has their defense bail them out most of the time isn't all of a sudden going to have an amazing offense when the defense can't stop the other team

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
That's great but the Bills have had 3 drafts under McDermott and or Beane and didn't land a Travis Kelce or a Tyreek Hill..or even a Mecole Hardman. Singletary is a nice piece to add into a RBBC .

If you want to see a recent example look at one of the major Superbowl contenders in SF. Shanahan was hired and they spent 1st round picks on the other side of the ball...because Shanahan was going to make do with later round WR's, a trade for Jummy G, a star TE (they landed in the 5th), and a few high draft picks at tackle.

Well, McDermott is not a Kyle Shanahan. He's a defensive coach and with the exception of the QB every draft the 1st round pick has gone to HIS side of the ball.

If these guys were so good at drafting offensive stars late they would have already done so. None here yet after 3 drafts.
Devin Singletary is a budding star.

The difference in drafting from the previous ~17 years is stark. Look at the last 3 drafts.

upload_2020-1-13_22-14-46.png

Notes:
- 1st year was boom or bust. McDermott only.
- Vosean Joseph didn't play because of an injury, so no grade on him obviously
- Tommy Sweeney contributed but was stuck on the depth chart behind 3 guys. Tough spot for him, did ok. Seems like he could be depth.
- Outside of 2 late WRs, the last 2 drafts have resulted in a lot of contributers.

I do think drafting a good WR will be Beane's biggest test yet, aside from QB obviously.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

The difference in drafting from the previous ~17 years is stark. Look at the last 3 drafts.

View attachment 307449

Notes:
- Tommy Sweeney contributed but was stuck on the depth chart behind 3 guys. Tough spot for him, did ok. Seems like he could be depth.
- Outside of 2 late WRs, the last 2 drafts have resulted in a lot of contributers.

I do think drafting a good WR will be Beane's biggest test yet, aside from QB obviously.

Most teams love their most recent draft picks. Takes a few years to know.

Lots of teams have "contributors" because the draft picks are cheap roster players.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012

View attachment 307449

Notes:

all your points still stand, except I just have to say that Oliver is a starter. DT is a rotational position and he played more snaps than any other DT on our roster.

Buffalo Bills 2019 Snap Counts | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Higgins would be great, but he won’t make it past 15 imho. Too big, too fast, too good of hands.
Please don’t pull a Whaley Bills!

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Higgins would be great, but he won’t make it past 15 imho. Too big, too fast, too good of hands.
Please don’t pull a Whaley Bills!

Said this during the last thread.

Base on various mocks I've seen plus concensus rankings - seems fair to assume all of Jeudy, Lamb, Higgins & Shenault will be off the board by the time the Bills pick.

I don't mind them trading up to get their guy though, if that's what it takes. It's not like tthey have a ton of holes to fill on the roster unlike the last few years.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

Base on various mocks I've seen plus concensus rankings - seems fair to assume all of Jeudy, Lamb, Higgins & Shenault will be off the board by the time the Bills pick.

I don't mind them trading up to get their guy though, if that's what it takes. It's not like tthey have a ton of holes to fill on the roster unlike the last few years.

I think Higgins could still be around. Don't think he's a top 15 pick. Shenault should also last past top 15.

The guy again no one is talking about is KJ Hamler, kid is a special talent that could be sitting right there when we pick.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

Yeah I think we are right at that line of being able to get Higgins or Shenault depending on how the draft falls. Miami or Oakland & Philly could end up stealing both or neither, they all have some other glaring holes on the team and could go BPA. Shenault is my preference in that spot, like him more than Higgins. Kids thick, versatile and explosive.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
He was awful last night, we need a guy to make the contested catches. Theres better options.

I don't follow CFB - I can only base my opinions on scouting reports & tape I watch between the SB & the draft. I can't comment on this game... But surely you can't judge someone on the evidence of just a single game...

Reactions: brian_griffin

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY

View attachment 307449

Notes:

Overall good points. I have a similar spreadsheet of my own. One thing though - almost all DL are rotational, especially in our scheme. Your key would imply that for example, Oliver was a worse pick than Edmunds, whereas there is currently no way to know that one way or the other.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
I don't follow CFB - I can only base my opinions on scouting reports & tape I watch between the SB & the draft. I can't comment on this game... But surely you can't judge someone on the evidence of just a single game...

Either way theres no way the Bills take him so Im not worried about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad