Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I heard Beane say last year he doesn't like games where people score more than 50.

He must be furious as the 21 points a game by McDermott now looks like a pretty low bar to shoot for.

Reactions: Husko

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Blah, I'm also fully out of my malaise. Good to see the Texans eat shit. Didn't want to hear about them for another week.

Pats losing right after helped dampen the initial shock but every time I think of the game directly, I get sad. Such a wasted opportunity, emblematic of all our worst qualities this year. I suppose I'm excited for next season, just don't want to think about it for a few months. Maybe the Olympics will be fun...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yay continuity !! I mean if a guy leads you to 2 bottom 10 offenses in a row, keeping him around to coach your prized franchise QB is really good idea. :thumbu

7th times the charm for Daboll to reach the teens in either YPG or PPG. Just because he coached under Belicheat and Saban doesn't mean shit. Damnit Cleveland why couldn't you hire him.

Daboll blows. Can't wait for another season of botton 12 offense and Sputtering drives leading to field goals.

Oh and when everyone was up in arms when I was suggesting putting in Josh for the final 8 minutes of the game to get practice on leading a come back/must score on drive scenario.

But injuries! Surely Allen only could have possibly got hurt on the last 2 drives and not the first 2 that McD put him in for. If you were willing to play him at all then why do you not do it in the situation that would teach hin the most. When the Bills are tied or down against a decent team I already know we will not score to tie or win it. See Baltimore, New England 2.0, Cleveland, Houston games .... and 90% of that is due to coaching.

I would love an innovative bright mind not a guy like Daboll who thinks running Frank Gore 2-3 times inside the 10 in a row is a smart idea.

And I bet Baltimore regrets the long time in between games for Lamar. He was off, rusty and had his woret game. Some players don't do good with multiple weeks off of playing.

Seeing Houston pull a Buffalo but even worse (24 instead of 16 to 0) put a smile on my face but also pissed me off. The Bills should have been playing in round 2. And no a Ryan tannehill led Titans is not better then us to the guy who said last week it didn't matter we had no chance of beating KC or baltimore anyway.

Coaching is probably the biggest bane of this team and not McD but the offense aka Daboll. Praying some college team hires him.

Out of the final 4 I want to see 49ers vs Chiefs but want the Pack to win. f*** the titans.

Member 308457

I noticed Mahomes...calm and right on target and constantly changing his arm motion delivery flexible to what's available. Kelce had 3 TDs. I saw Watkins with two receptions, both on "free" plays where Houston went offsides...Kudos to the Chiefs who never gave up. Bills should take notes, especially Josh should take notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EichHart

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
The K.C./Houston game was the most entertaining game of the weekend. I hope K.C. wins it all. I am tired of seeing guys throwing for less then 200 yards a game and winning. For some reason older Bills fans want to go back to the days of a lot running the ball and elite defense with 17-10 games.

Reactions: TalkingProuder

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I noticed Mahomes...calm and right on target almost all the time. No nervous overthrows or deer-in-the-headlights eyes like Josh. Mahomes also constantly changes his arm motion delivery depending on the direction and intensity of the rush and who and where he has an available receiver. That's the kind of improvisation that makes plays and it allows him to more accurately and instantly target who's open. But it fools his receivers sometimes. Lots of drops at the beginning..Kelce had 3 TDs with 10 or so receptions and bulled his way for many yards. I like the way he catches, bull-rushes and protects the football.

I saw Watkins with two receptions, both on "free" plays where Houston went offsides. Watkins I think is a bust, especially for what the Bills sacrificed for him. But you never know in these big games; he might come up big in one, although consistency and staying healthy is obviously still a problem. Yet another Pegula draft over-reach. Although the Chiefs are very entertaining, I don't want to see McCoy and Watkins with Super Bowl rings. Don't like either of them.

On the other hand, I saw Watson with early over-confidence and then spending lots of time dancing around. I think Josh would have had a similar fate, although if he gets over 20 pts., it's a miracle.

Kudos to the Chiefs who never gave up. Bills should take notes, especially Josh Allen on how to calmly and accurately deliver right on target and at the right speed and trajectory.
I mean- you're watching the best QB in the league play. Damn near every QB should be taking notes.

Also, the Bills didn't quit. The came back after getting sloppy to force OT.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
The K.C./Houston game was the most entertaining game of the weekend. I hope K.C. wins it all. I am tired of seeing guys throwing for less then 200 yards a game and winning. For some reason older Bills fans want to go back to the days of a lot running the ball and elite defense with 17-10 games.
Ehhh, I'd assume most Bills fan want Allen to become a franchise QB, and see an offense that can score on will like Kelly did with the K-gun offense.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Blah, I'm also fully out of my malaise. Good to see the Texans eat ****. Didn't want to hear about them for another week.

Pats losing right after helped dampen the initial shock but every time I think of the game directly, I get sad. Such a wasted opportunity, emblematic of all our worst qualities this year. I suppose I'm excited for next season, just don't want to think about it for a few months. Maybe the Olympics will be fun...
Yeah I’m still not fully over that loss either.

But I will say, I’d much rather the Bills lose like they did vs how the Texans lost yesterday.

The Bills game was close. The players know a win was there for the taking. They lost because of their own mistakes and It seems like it has motivated Bills players going into the offseason.

Losing like the Texans did against KC has to be demoralizing. They got embarrassed.

I would worry what a loss like that would do to the Bills confidence as a team. I’d be worried that it would leave them feeling like they were years away from being a contender instead of leaving them feeling like they are close (like they seem to feel now).

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY

I was listening to Murphy and Tasker for a bit while running errands and they were selling the idea that "defense and running game are back, woo hoo".

Pegula hired another defense first coach and they are trying to tell fans don't worry about QB play, let's play defense and run the ball.

Of course Murphy skipped over the fact that the team favored in the AFC Championship game scored TD's on SEVEN consecutive drives throwing the football where running was just an afterthought. But throwing the ball requires top end offensive coaching, investment in the offense and so far sounds like we are about to get sold the BPA in round 1 is a defensive end for McDermott yet again as the offense has to get by with spare parts.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I think we all want to see wins. Unless football has changed, AFAIK, the probability of winning in the NFL is more highly correlated (less residual) with increasingly higher per-game rushing average once teams get to some threshold total rushing yards (e.g., 150 ypg or something like that), than the probability of winning is correlated to increasing passing yardage above some threshold ypg (e.g., 300 ypg or something like that).

From an entertainment value standpoint, I'd personally rather watch a low-scoring defensive battle where each yard and each series of field position battle matters, versus a pass-happy game where a couple blown coverages and the official's calls or non-calls have a greater probability of deciding the outcome.

Texans-Chiefs was entertaining, but wholly from how the game unfolded: Chiefs initial ineptness and Texans capitalization, then the Chiefs steamrolling comeback against a Texans defense which was acknowledged to be suspect and arguably the worst of all 12 playoff teams. If you saw the final score without knowing how the game unfolded, you likely would not have been surprised.

If you want passing / scoring, watch the Big 12 conference.
Not arguing, but to each his own.
(signed)
-old guy

btw, tonight's national championship playoff game is framing up to be a great battle from both teams on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: Eichel9

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
sounds like we are about to get sold the BPA in round 1 is a defensive end for McDermott yet again as the offense has to get by with spare parts.

Beane literally said he needs to get more weapons, they arent as stupid as some people want them to be

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I was listening to Murphy and Tasker for a bit while running errands and they were selling the idea that "defense and running game are back, woo hoo".

Pegula hired another defense first coach and they are trying to tell fans don't worry about QB play, let's play defense and run the ball.

Of course Murphy skipped over the fact that the team favored in the AFC Championship game scored TD's on SEVEN consecutive drives throwing the football where running was just an afterthought. But throwing the ball requires top end offensive coaching, investment in the offense and so far sounds like we are about to get sold the BPA in round 1 is a defensive end for McDermott yet again as the offense has to get by with spare parts.
Who cares if BPA is a defensive end. I would love more sacks and qb pressure. Look at what the 49ers are doing, that dline had continuous pressure on Minnesota the whole game and SF also ran the ball effectively.

Also throwing the football and having top end coaching is a terrible correlation. You need receivers who run a route tree well and separate. Currently only Brown does this well on our team and Beasley when he is matched up against a LB. You can have elite coaches on the sidelines but if your guys can't seperate, it won't be there.

It almost seems like you want us to repeat the 2014 draft.

Reactions: missingmika

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

If the Chiefs are your example of the need to invest high end assets into the offense, it's probably a bad example. Here's the level of investment they used in their offense outside of QB:
  • Hill - 5th round pick
  • Damien Williams - FA (originally with Miami after going undrafted)
  • Travis Kelce - 3rd Round
  • Sammy Watkins - FA
  • Demarcus Robinson - 4th Round
  • Mecole Hardman - 2nd Round
I agree that we need to find a few more offensive weapons, but drafting a WR in the 1st round to bolster a young QB isn't exactly a proven strategy. Here's a sample of the of the last 4 years, and you need to be able to identify/scout the right guys, but the value at WR is almost always in rounds 2-4:

2019 2018 2017 2016
RDSEL #PLAYERRDSEL #PLAYERRDSEL #PLAYERRDSEL #PLAYER
125Marquise Brown124D.J. Moore15Corey Davis115Corey Coleman
132N'Keal Harry126Calvin Ridley17Mike Williams121Will Fuller
236Deebo Samuel240Courtland Sutton19John Ross122Josh Doctson
251A.J. Brown244Dante Pettis240Curtis Samuel123Laquon Treadwell
256Mecole Hardman247Christian Kirk262JuJu Smith-Schuster240Sterling Shepard
257J.J. Arcega-Whiteside251Anthony Miller237Zay Jones247Michael Thomas
259Parris Campbell260James Washington369Cooper Kupp255Tyler Boyd
262Andy Isabella261D.J. Chark372Taywan Taylor385Braxton Miller
264D.K. Metcalf381Michael Gallup379ArDarius Stewart386Leonte Carroo
366Diontae Johnson391Tre'Quan Smith382Carlos Henderson4107Chris Moore
367Jalen Hurd4103Keke Coutee384Chris Godwin4112Malcolm Mitchell
376Terry McLaurin4105Antonio Callaway396Kenny Golladay4114Ricardo Louis
393Miles Boykin4113DaeSean Hamilton398Chad Williams4117Pharoh Cooper
4132Jaleel Scott3106Amara Darboh4126Demarcus Robinson
4133J'Mon Moore4110Dede Westbrook4138Seth DeValve
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: SoFFacet

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
If the Chiefs are your example of the need to invest high end assets into the offense, it's probably a bad example. Here's the level of investment they used in their offense outside of QB:
  • Hill - 5th round pick
  • Damien Williams - FA (originally with Miami after going undrafted)
  • Travis Kelce - 3rd Round
  • Sammy Watkins - FA
  • Demarcus Robinson - 4th Round
  • Mecole Hardman - 2nd Round
I agree that we need to find a few more offensive weapons, but drafting a WR in the 1st round to bolster a young QB isn't exactly a proven strategy. Here's a sample of the of the last 4 years, and you need to be able to identify/scout the right guys, but the value at WR is almost always in rounds 2-4:

RDSEL #PLAYERRDSEL #PLAYERRDSEL #PLAYERRDSEL #PLAYER
125Marquise Brown124D.J. Moore15Corey Davis115Corey Coleman
132N'Keal Harry126Calvin Ridley17Mike Williams121Will Fuller
236Deebo Samuel240Courtland Sutton19John Ross122Josh Doctson
251A.J. Brown244Dante Pettis240Curtis Samuel123Laquon Treadwell
256Mecole Hardman247Christian Kirk262JuJu Smith-Schuster240Sterling Shepard
257J.J. Arcega-Whiteside251Anthony Miller237Zay Jones247Michael Thomas
259Parris Campbell260James Washington369Cooper Kupp255Tyler Boyd
262Andy Isabella261D.J. Chark372Taywan Taylor385Braxton Miller
264D.K. Metcalf381Michael Gallup379ArDarius Stewart386Leonte Carroo
366Diontae Johnson391Tre'Quan Smith382Carlos Henderson4107Chris Moore
367Jalen Hurd4103Keke Coutee384Chris Godwin4112Malcolm Mitchell
376Terry McLaurin4105Antonio Callaway396Kenny Golladay4114Ricardo Louis
393Miles Boykin4113DaeSean Hamilton398Chad Williams4117Pharoh Cooper
4132Jaleel Scott3106Amara Darboh4126Demarcus Robinson
4133J'Mon Moore4110Dede Westbrook4138Seth DeValve
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

That's great but the Bills have had 3 drafts under McDermott and or Beane and didn't land a Travis Kelce or a Tyreek Hill..or even a Mecole Hardman. Singletary is a nice piece to add into a RBBC .

If you want to see a recent example look at one of the major Superbowl contenders in SF. Shanahan was hired and they spent 1st round picks on the other side of the ball...because Shanahan was going to make do with later round WR's, a trade for Jummy G, a star TE (they landed in the 5th), and a few high draft picks at tackle.

Well, McDermott is not a Kyle Shanahan. He's a defensive coach and with the exception of the QB every draft the 1st round pick has gone to HIS side of the ball.

If these guys were so good at drafting offensive stars late they would have already done so. None here yet after 3 drafts.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
That's great but the Bills have had 3 drafts under McDermott and or Beane and didn't land a Travis Kelce or a Tyreek Hill..or even a Mecole Hardman. Singletary is a nice piece to add into a RBBC .

If you want to see a recent example look at one of the major Superbowl contenders in SF. Shanahan was hired and they spent 1st round picks on the other side of the ball...because Shanahan was going to make do with later round WR's, a trade for Jummy G, a star TE (they landed in the 5th), and a few high draft picks at tackle.

Well, McDermott is not a Kyle Shanahan. He's a defensive coach and with the exception of the QB every draft the 1st round pick has gone to HIS side of the ball.

If these guys were so good at drafting offensive stars late they would have already done so. None here yet after 3 drafts.

My point was that high end value for offensive weapons isn't found in the 1st round.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
My point was that high end value for offensive weapons isn't found in the 1st round.

We're drafting late 1st. You normally don't find elite pass rushers left on the board there. There often are stud offensive players still there such as Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, etc last year.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We're drafting late 1st. You normally don't find elite pass rushers left on the board there. There often are stud offensive players still there such as Deebo Samuel, DK Metcalf, etc last year.

Exactly this.

I'd be ecstatic if the Bills drafted Chase Young... But they won't. There's zero chance.

Especially with this class - they should get a good receiver at 22. Its the biggest position of need.

Don't overthink this one, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad