Buffalo Bills 2014 Draft: Rd1#4 WR Sammy Watkins; Rd2#44 C. Kouandjio; Stevie traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I don't hate Buffalo, I love a lot of things about the area. Being a happening place for spoiled rich kids is not one of them. For kids who grew up in the South, or anywhere else really, and were given everything, it's a shocking change being forced to work up here.

You're backtracking. You literally just called it "a cesspool"

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
His net worth ($1.9 billion) is higher than most NFL owners', so yeah.

I would imagine he is getting some "help" too. Not that he would need it, but I would be surprised not to see someone like Jacobs being involved. Golisano could run the Bills like he ran the Sabres, meaning to break even, and still give the team all of the resources they need to build a competitive team. My main concern with Tom is the stadium. Not only do I think he would not want to invest any of his money in it, but being from the Rochester area he may push for the Batavia location. Batavia would save him/us money and be closer to Rochester.

I hate any idea where the stadium is not still in Erie County and would prefer the city over anything. The resurgence of the area can be mostly attributed to the development in Buffalo. Enough with the sprawl that has plagued the Buffalo area for decades.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Although thinking about it some, Quinn was a driving force behind getting Marine Midland/HSBC/*** Center built.

So if he brought Quinn, it might not be ALL bad.......just stay out of football stuff, eh?

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Larry Quinn is such an interesting figure in our recent sports history. Some good, lots of bad, and he's still around and looks to possibly be another big player.

Such an odd relationship we've had with that man.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Ugh, my biggest issue with BTG is that he surrounds himself with yes men. Any owner that keeps the Bills in Buffalo, just worried we'd be in for a few more decades of incompetence.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Ugh, my biggest issue with BTG is that he surrounds himself with yes men. Any owner that keeps the Bills in Buffalo, just worried we'd be in for a few more decades of incompetence.
True, but of realistic options, I think Golisano is the best proven choice.

I just want this to happen quickly so I never have to hear Russ Brandon speak again. He is the biggest tool in the world.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

Golisano might bid alone. Or he might bid in partnership with another (and only one other) deep-pocketed Western New York businessman. In either event, Golisano will be the lead bidder, the source said.

I suspect that Golisano's potential partner is Pegula. I don't think Pegula wants a primary ownership role at this time but he wants to keep the team in Buffalo. The deal could include a clause entitling the partners to the first option to buy the other one out.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I suspect that Golisano's potential partner is Pegula. I don't think Pegula wants a primary ownership role at this time but he wants to keep the team in Buffalo. The deal could include a clause entitling the partners to the first option to buy the other one out.

Man. how ideal would that be?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If Galisano does for the Bills what he did for the Sabres, God bless the man.

You think Ralph Wilson was a money pincher? Wait until you have Tommy G. We finally had the shackles removed for Management to make Football moves, and we're going to a guy that is all about the profit.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
You think Ralph Wilson was a money pincher? Wait until you have Tommy G. We finally had the shackles removed for Management to make Football moves, and we're going to a guy that is all about the profit.

We have no idea how Tommy G would run a NFL franchise. The market and economy in the NFL is vastly different than the NHL. They really can't be compared.

We need to keep this franchise in Buffalo. Everything else is a 2nd, very distant consideration.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

The Bills are easily profitable, like all NFL teams.

Golisano was a "money pincher" with the Sabres because he wanted them to break even, not lose money. But when they were good, he allowed Regier to spend to the cap in an effort to "go for it".

This is not an issue with the Bills.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The Bills are easily profitable, like all NFL teams.

Golisano was a "money pincher" with the Sabres because he wanted them to break even, not lose money. But when they were good, he allowed Regier to spend to the cap in an effort to "go for it".

This is not an issue with the Bills.

I'm not concerned about Golisano being cheap.....spending big bucks doesn't equal success in the NFL. Washington and Dallas are prime examples of this.

I'm worried he will be content with 'keeping the team afloat' instead of striving to build a championship team. His severe cuts to the scouting staff while with the Sabres shows his lack of foresight.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'm not concerned about Golisano being cheap.....spending big bucks doesn't equal success in the NFL. Washington and Dallas are prime examples of this.

I'm worried he will be content with 'keeping the team afloat' instead of striving to build a championship team. His severe cuts to the scouting staff while with the Sabres shows his lack of foresight.
Cuts were a financial decision, so again not applicable.

Golisano seemed to be pretty hands off with the Sabres. The teams failures were usually related to financial restrictions. Except for him not wanting to give out long term contracts, which I think was indirectly financial related.

We don't know how different he will treat the Bills, but if we want to use his ownership of the Sabres as the model, then I am not worried at all. He would likely keep Whaley and not restrict him at all because there is no financial reason to do so.

Further, there seems to be indication that he is a fan of football moreso than he was at hockey, and that he only ever planned to be a bridge owner for the Sabres, to keep them in Buffalo and financial viable. If these things are true, his decisions with the Sabres make far more sense.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
We have no idea how Tommy G would run a NFL franchise. The market and economy in the NFL is vastly different than the NHL. They really can't be compared.

We need to keep this franchise in Buffalo. Everything else is a 2nd, very distant consideration.

to bolded - I Agree.

I assume any prospective buyer is having his legal team examine the stadium lease / relocation clause to determine options & costs.

I then assume that the cost of breaking the lease is prohibitive (the difference in profit between a Buffalo franchise and the relocated version is too small to pay back a $400M (or whatever it is) penalty in 7 years (or whatever it is) in order to make "premature" relocation not feasible.

Given that, I further assume that a prospective buyer would then need to be comfortable with:
A. Not relocating the franchise for 7 years in order to put his "mark" on it.
B. Would tolerate the Bills-in-Buffalo profitability as an acceptable return on investment for ~$750M or whatever the estimated sales price is.

I suspect BTG would be perfectly good with both A & B above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany