Buffalo Bills 2014 Draft: Rd1#4 WR Sammy Watkins; Rd2#44 C. Kouandjio; Stevie traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If that's the case re: TE then I think you cut Gragg. Lee is by far the best blocker of the group. I would have no problem cutting Gragg for Easley. I think you could also stash Tuel on the PS to keep Brooks. I'd like to see Summers on the roster.

If he's not, then I'd assume it's because we bring someone in to compete with him and he loses. I agree, no way we don't have a traditional fullback on the team. This isn't the Whaley offense.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
billsequipment ‏@billsequipment

2014 #Bills draft class jersey numbers

BnoLqygIEAIEIu1.jpg

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Hogan will be gone. Your two ST gunners will be Easley and Corey Graham. Hogan isn't good enough to get on the field as a WR. Bye Bye Chris.

During a recent interview I heard on WGR, Marrone mentioned Hogan with the regulars as a player that could fill the hole in the slot. I would't count him out of the equation.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
During a recent interview I heard on WGR, Marrone mentioned Hogan with the regulars as a player that could fill the hole in the slot. I would't count him out of the equation.

We'll see, but IMO he's a mediocre talent as a WR. There's a reason why he's been a fringe NFL player and I'm not expecting that to change. With the influx of talent we've seen in the offseason at the position, I think he's a goner barring a couple of major injuries.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
We'll see, but IMO he's a mediocre talent as a WR. There's a reason why he's been a fringe NFL player and I'm not expecting that to change. With the influx of talent we've seen in the offseason at the position, I think he's a goner barring a couple of major injuries.

For sure he's not a lock, but I think he could be a good fit in the slot when you consider the rest of the receivers are possibly better fit for the outside. He could stay or he could go, but I would not be so quick to write him off and say definitively that he is gone.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
9 OL seems like a lot, I feel like teams typically only carry 8 (one backup G, one T, one guy that can plug anywhere if needed). I think Whaley even only carried 7 (and it bit him in the ass one year). I could also see them only carrying 2 QBs. And 4 TEs also seems not so necessary, Smith or Gragg, not both.

I'd add a 6th receiver for sure (Easley), have brooks make the team at corner (after last year I bet they carry extra depth there)

I look at it like this....

2QB, 4RB, 10 OL, 2 TE, 4 WR
8DL, 6 LB, 8 DB
P, K

46 players.....22 positions and backups....

Keep 2 Among non OL on offense, and keep 1 DL/LB and 1 DB, then keep the best 3 players left over.

Injuries in preseason could screw this up.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I look at it like this....

2QB, 4RB, 10 OL, 2 TE, 4 WR
8DL, 6 LB, 8 DB
P, K

46 players.....22 positions and backups....

Keep 2 Among non OL on offense, and keep 1 DL/LB and 1 DB, then keep the best 3 players left over.

Injuries in preseason could screw this up.

10 OL would be absurd, imo. Has a team ever carried that many?

I'd also expect at least 3 TE and 5 WR.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
10 OL would be absurd, imo. Has a team ever carried that many?

I'd also expect at least 3 TE and 5 WR.

9 is pushing it. 10 is just unacceptable. It's important to stash a viable guy on the practice squad, beyond that you grab guys sitting at home if the injuries hit bad. If you're using a 10th OL it basically means your ENTIRE OFFENSIVE LINE is injured at once. That's not something that's reasonable to prepare for at the expense of other things. If we carried 5 receivers and dropped a special teams ace like Easley to carry 10 linemen I'd **** a brick.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2015/story/_/id/10930610/nfl-way-too-early-2015-nfl-mock-draft

10. Cleveland Browns (from Buffalo Bills): Landon Collins*, S, Alabama
As part of the trade that allowed the Bills (projected by Football Outsiders to finish 7-9 next season) to move up from the ninth pick to the fourth pick to draft Sammy Watkins, the Browns now own Buffalo's 2015 first-round pick -- in this case, a top-10 selection. Collins brings great speed and playmaking to the safety position.

The interesting thing about the FBO projections are that they have 6 teams finishing 6-10 and 7 teams finishing 7-9.

:laugh:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
9 is pushing it. 10 is just unacceptable. It's important to stash a viable guy on the practice squad, beyond that you grab guys sitting at home if the injuries hit bad. If you're using a 10th OL it basically means your ENTIRE OFFENSIVE LINE is injured at once. That's not something that's reasonable to prepare for at the expense of other things. If we carried 5 receivers and dropped a special teams ace like Easley to carry 10 linemen I'd **** a brick.

Agreed. 9 OL is sufficient. Personally, I prefer 9 to 8 because it always seems OL drops like flies--including the backups. Henderson seems like practice squad material unless he impresses in camp.

Easley is, for all intents and purposes, a starter on special teams. That's how important his role is and how good he is at it. You don't cut a starter for a long-shot backup. And Easley might still have some potential as a depth receiver in case of injuries, so it's not like the only thing he's good for is special teams.

sabregoat

Sep 22, 2005
Hamburg, NY

I would assume that the 10th OL would be the long snapper.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I would assume that the 10th OL would be the long snapper.

I don't think there's really any situation where they'd actually play Sanborn on the o-line. Long-snapper is a completely dedicated position now and it's too important to expose to injury. There are rules in place to prevent contact against long-snappers. Even if they would, he'd probably be a worse lineman than Lee Smith in an emergency situation.

If DJP was counting Sanborn in the 10 linemen then that's a reasonable figure, but just to be clear he's not an offensive lineman and wouldn't be listed as one on the depth chart.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sammy Watkins on First Minicamp Practice <9:22>
The Bills first round pick talks with the media about his first day of rookie minicamp.

Doug Marrone on First Day of Rookie Camp <9:35>
The Bills head coach talks with the media about the opening of Rookie Minicamp, and what he thought of first round pick Sammy Watkins.

Johnny Manziel, Khalil Mack rank among instant-impact rookies
Sammy Watkins, WR, Buffalo Bills

Instant impact: Ending an epic dry spell.

Watkins has all the attributes needed to be a great receiver. He's extremely speedy -- he seems to have two gears: super-fast and super-super-fast -- but he's also strong enough that pads won't slow him down. He has great hands and the kind of catch-and-run ability that reminds you of Hall of Fame receiver Bob Hayes. Watkins is excellent at getting separation from defenders. He's also versatile, able to line up outside or in the slot.

As a true freshman at Clemson, Watkins defied convention by racking up 82 catches for 1,219 yards and 12 touchdowns. For a player to have that kind of production at that stage of his career is almost unheard of. Watkins will make Bills quarterback EJ Manuel better, and Buffalo offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett will have some special things ready for the dynamic receiver. Ultimately, I think Watkins has a good shot at helping the Bills end their 14-season playoff drought.

Last edited:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bills Roundup: Rookie Minicamp Begins <4:16>
First round pick Sammy Watkins and the rest of the rookies hit the field for the first time as Buffalo opened its 2014 Rookie Minicamp in Orchard Park.

Rookie WR Watkins quickly catching on with Bills
Sammy Watkins has one rule when it comes to playing receiver.

It's on him to catch anything within his reach.

''My job is to catch the ball. I can't control where the quarterback throws it,'' the Buffalo Bills' first-round draft pick said. ''If my hand touches it, I've got to catch it.''

If that's the case, then Watkins was perfect in making his debut Saturday, when the Bills opened a three-day minicamp.

Last edited:

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Preston Brown signs today

I knew nothing about him at selection time other than a lot of draft grades having him as a 4th rounder. I've liked the attitude he's shown in interviews and if he can at least be a very good two-down run guy, then it's a good pick. Bonus points if he can be a three-down guy. Right now I view him as insurance for Spikes, should the latter become injured or sign somewhere else in the offseason, and a special teamer.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
That Henderson jersey is actually made out of hemp ... :sarcasm:

Let's hope he stays clean, he is a good talent with no brains.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I knew nothing about him at selection time other than a lot of draft grades having him as a 4th rounder. I've liked the attitude he's shown in interviews and if he can at least be a very good two-down run guy, then it's a good pick. Bonus points if he can be a three-down guy. Right now I view him as insurance for Spikes, should the latter become injured or sign somewhere else in the offseason, and a special teamer.

I think he pushes to start with Kiko moving outside and Schwartz running a hybrid 3-4 4-3 defense depending on opponent. I also think he battles for starts because they are moving Manny Lawson to DE and Bradham came on a bit. Schwartz is inheriting a defense that is leaps and bounds better than last year's defense and that is ****ing scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad