Confirmed with Link: BUF/WPG Myers+Stafford+Armia+Lemieux+Low 1st for Kane+Bogo+Kasdorf II

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Article in Winnipeg talks about Armia's adjustment to the trade:

By his own admission, Joel Armia was in shock after the Buffalo Sabres traded him to the Winnipeg Jets in February.

"Of course it was probably hard for me," the 22-year-old from Pori, Finland said Saturday at the MTS Iceplex after Day 2 of the Winnipeg Jets development camp. "A little bit harder because it was my first trade and that doesn’t happen in Europe a lot."

The quiet right-winger then put his finger on exactly how it affected him.

"You have all your teammates in Rochester and then you go to a whole new team, new staff," he said. "Everything was new. I think that takes a little bit of time.

McCambridge isn’t much into tags like that. He’s more interested in abilities and habits.

"When I watched (Armia) for the time period we had him, he had very good vision and the skill set he has with regards to making plays and in those tight areas was something that jumped off the page," McCambridge said. "An area he has to work on is having that high level of compete all the time.

"He’s a player that has to have the puck. He can make plays with it. He has to make sure he’s working to get it back. But big upside to him. He’s still learning, still developing but definitely liked what I saw."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...w-Sabres-ship-him--to-Winnipeg-311655651.html

Probably explains what Murray felt less enthused about in his game and was willing to give Armia up....

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's close to busting, yeah? He's 22, hasn't wowed in the AHL (looking at his stats), and doesn't play a bottom-six type of game.

Ehhhh.

He has shown flashes. Was Rochester's best forward in the playoffs 2 years ago.

His biggest issue other than "compete level" is staying healthy. I mean, 25 points in 33 GP before the trade isn't shabby.

He's got an NHL-level shot when he uses it.

Give him another year before starting to put the "B" word on him, IMO.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I love how once we trade a prospect away we commence to ripping them apart to help us love the trade even more.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I wish that Armia had come over to North America one year earlier than he did. It would have been nice to see him last year as his third season in NA rather than his second.

There's no doubt that his playoffs a couple seasons ago and last year's performance demonstrated that he has the potential to succeed. I believe the transition to Winnipeg was a temporary setback and this season he will continue his growth and will see some games in the NHL.

All that said - I think in the trade that Murray looked at his pipeline and the players coming back and viewed him as an asset to be moved for the greater good. I do not think it was any sort of statement about the view of his potential - rather it was taking advantage of his potential to help secure some players that Murray viewed as valuable to the team's rebuild. Win-win, IMO.

Wishing success to Armia and will have no issues if he has success.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I remember that his difficulty adjusting from Finland to North America was a dominant theme in explaining his rookie difficulties--as well as his injury. Now we're hearing again how he struggled with the transition from Rochester to St. John's. Is he going to have similar difficulties when he has to move across Canada to Winnipeg?

I was one of the biggest Armia fans on this board, and I remain a fan--I firmly believe that Winnipeg is an ideal organization for him if/when it all clicks. But he's out of excuses, and he needs to stay healthy. He was Rochester's best forward in the early going last year. He needs to come out gangbusters for St. John's next year and earn a call-up to Winnipeg. If he hits, Winnipeg could be scary in a year or two with all their big forwards with puck skills.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I love how once we trade a prospect away we commence to ripping them apart to help us love the trade even more.

It goes both ways, fans of the team will pump up the prospects maybe more than they deserve and when we trade them we will put them down more than they deserve. It is inevitable. :laugh:

Ghills23

Young Guns
Aug 12, 2006
Buffalo
I remember that his difficulty adjusting from Finland to North America was a dominant theme in explaining his rookie difficulties--as well as his injury. Now we're hearing again how he struggled with the transition from Rochester to St. John's. Is he going to have similar difficulties when he has to move across Canada to Winnipeg?

I was one of the biggest Armia fans on this board, and I remain a fan--I firmly believe that Winnipeg is an ideal organization for him if/when it all clicks. But he's out of excuses, and he needs to stay healthy. He was Rochester's best forward in the early going last year. He needs to come out gangbusters for St. John's next year and earn a call-up to Winnipeg. If he hits, Winnipeg could be scary in a year or two with all their big forwards with puck skills.

Winnipeg's farm team next year is going to be the Manitoba Moose so he'll already be in the 'Peg if he does start in the AHL and then earns a call up. I know it was different circumstances here but I remember penciling in Armia in a top 6 role here for this coming season.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

There were questions about how Armia's game would translate to NA long before he was dealt.

He has an NHL shot. He just likes to play a perimeter game and loves to dangle too much.

Nothing has really changed. He's shown flashes of having top 6 NHL potential.

Only time will tell if he develops into a legit top 6 NHL winger or not.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I was never an armia fan and got torn apart a couple years ago for not seeing his "first line future" but looks like everyone is slowly coming on board. Still love this trade.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I like Armia but if being traded has that big of an impact on you where you basically shut down for the remainder of the season and have 2 goals in 22 games at the AHL level then it says a lot about your personality. And that's been the problem with him and why he even with those tools he was never a blue chip prospect.

I think he can put it together but it will be a struggle. I've said a few times but I think the player he actually turns into wont be a sniper but a guy who inconsistently puts up 20 goals but is reliable defensively. Like a Frolik who's slightly better offensively and slightly worse defensively.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I was never an armia fan and got torn apart a couple years ago for not seeing his "first line future" but looks like everyone is slowly coming on board. Still love this trade.

I'm pretty sure everyone knew Armia was a high risk/high reward prospect. He did have first line potential when he was drafted, and was showing a lot of promise this season for Rochester. Time will tell if he could put it all together, but I'm not giving up on him yet. First line sniper seems to be a stretch at this point, but I still think he can be a productive top-9 forward. His defensive game gets underrated 'round these parts.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I was never really high on Armia from the beginning. He always reminded me of a lesser version of Vanek. I'd still like to see him put it all together and do well at some point, but who knows if that will ever happen.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I'm pretty sure everyone knew Armia was a high risk/high reward prospect. He did have first line potential when he was drafted, and was showing a lot of promise this season for Rochester. Time will tell if he could put it all together, but I'm not giving up on him yet. First line sniper seems to be a stretch at this point, but I still think he can be a productive top-9 forward. His defensive game gets underrated 'round these parts.
I see him topping out as a 20/20 guy if he makes it but time will tell.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Armia was having a pretty good season until the trade, actually. I think the story for him is going to be, was the late season slump a product of changing environment? He had similar issues going from Europe to Rochester. If he's able to adjust from that, I think the player we saw most of last season and the playoffs before becomes a pretty decent NHL player.

He might just be an odd bird in that regard, that somehow he's worse than most when changing teams, coaches, linemates, systems, etc. We'll see. Unfortunately, nobody gives you a long adjustment period into the NHL, so we'll see if he's able to jump in and be productive right away. If not, it may be hard for him to establish himself at the next level.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Jets fan just stopping in, noticing that most of you guys seem to like this trade. We pretty much all love it as well. What a great trade, where fans of both teams are satisfied. :D

I do miss Kane though...

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
As I said in another thread, Tyler Myers is 6'8'' Brian Campbell. Great skater, creates odd-man rushes by carrying the puck up the ice. Good in his own zone, not great.

Bogosian just a human wrecking ball. Fun to watch and tough to play against. He fits Buffalo's team and town like a glove.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad