Confirmed with Link: [BUF/WAS] Jaroslav Halak, 2015 3rd for Michal Neuvirth, Rostislav Klesla

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Jaroslav Halak Interview (3/5/14) - 2:15 Mins

[NHL]568474[/NHL]
Jaroslav Halak speaks with the media after being traded to the Washington Capitals.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
remember when Kotalik came here as a salary dump and we got a 2nd rounder?

now we have to pay for other teams to dump salary on us.

not liking this

Kotalik's salary dump was for the full season. $3M.

Klesa's salary dump is something like $420K.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Why are people upset about giving up a 3rd round pick to acquire a decent NHL starter with another year left on his deal?

Reto Berra got a 2nd at the deadline this year to be a rental insurance case. If he got that, what can we get for selling him next year? Especially if he plays well.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I like Neuvirth as a young, quality backup who provides another developmental year for Hackett. But I'm still surprised how much weight he carried in this trade. I figured it would be more in line with Halak + pick for Neuvirth + pick. And now the Sabres also have to eat Klesla's remaining salary. Not sure about this one.

BeauportHarfangs

May 14, 2013
Northern Virginia
I have viewed Neuvirth over the years as a Cap here in DC. In my assessment, he was equal to Varlamov but ended up 1B, he was better than Holtby and became 1B, then #2. As a Sabres fan, very happy to see Neuvy joining the blue and gold. Great pick up, and i dont care if we slightly overpaid.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I like Neuvirth as a young, quality backup who provides another developmental year for Hackett. But I'm still surprised how much weight he carried in this trade. I figured it would be more in line with Halak + pick for Neuvirth + pick. And now the Sabres also have to eat Klesla's remaining salary. Not sure about this one.

At this point, Hackett would be lucky to be as good as Neuvirth

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Upon further review, I think the reason Klesla was gotten was specifically to replace McNabb's role on the Amerks. That's where he's going. That Rusty is a UFA is irrelevant since another prospect (McCabe?) will likely make the jump and assume that role next year.

It's a change in philosophy where trades like this can be made to utilize existing assets to fill needs organization-wide, not just on the big club.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
I don't know why so many people are upset about Klesla. You need veteran professionals on rebuilding teams. Look at how things have gone for the Oilers and their all-youth approach. The guy's been in the league almost 15 years, and he seems to have a good attitude. Obviously he's slowed down this year but it doesn't mean he doesn't know the game or how to be a pro. And he's not handcuffing the Sabres from doing other things.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Upon further review, I think the reason Klesla was gotten was specifically to replace McNabb's role on the Amerks. That's where he's going. That Rusty is a UFA is irrelevant since another prospect (McCabe?) will likely make the jump and assume that role next year.

It's a change in philosophy where trades like this can be made to utilize existing assets to fill needs organization-wide, not just on the big club.

Yes, it seems Klesla was to replace McNabb in Roch.

I think that shouldn't be undermined, because if McNabb wouldn't be replaced, it would create a pretty big hole on left side of defense (Pysyk, Ruh and Risto playing right side). And it's important to keep Roch competetive this year, because we have a lot of talent there, and a few guys who will most likely be seriously fighting roster spots next year (Risto, Ruh, Pysyk and Larsson and the new guy, Deslauriers).

Roch seems to be in a quite good shape when the playoffs come. Klesla definitely is a better player defensively than McNabb and Deslauriers brings a lot of offense.

About the trade, thinking that the 3th rounder was a bit too much, but I think you must pay something to have a longer term contract back. And it seems Murray doesn't give too much value to even mid-round picks in the upcoming draft.

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
I don't know why so many people are upset about Klesla. You need veteran professionals on rebuilding teams. Look at how things have gone for the Oilers and their all-youth approach. The guy's been in the league almost 15 years, and he seems to have a good attitude. Obviously he's slowed down this year but it doesn't mean he doesn't know the game or how to be a pro. And he's not handcuffing the Sabres from doing other things.

Im in completely agree with you 100% - he was injured by Jordan Nolan year but up until that moment he was a key piece in the Phoenix D cog. There is no way you want to do the Edmonton rebuild - Need to go the way of Colorado / Pittsburgh / Chicago and have your veterans take the pressure off the rookies and younger players. Edmonton has basically wasted 4 years of rebuilding.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Much like how I didn't understand people's fascination with McNabb, I don't understand the obsession with this third-round pick.

I'm glad Murray doesn't value a draft pick with a low success rate like HF posters do. Buffalo got a comparable goalie in Neuvirth who is younger and has term remaining. If McPhee wasn't moving him without Murray kicking in a third, I'm glad he did it.

ZeroPT*

Much like how I didn't understand people's fascination with McNabb, I don't understand the obsession with this third-round pick.

I'm glad Murray doesn't value a draft pick with a low success rate like HF posters do. Buffalo got a comparable goalie in Neuvirth who is younger and has term remaining. If McPhee wasn't moving him without Murray kicking in a third, I'm glad he did it.

If we assume Halak was going to walk anyway (which is probably safe) he flipped a 3rd for a 25 year old goaltender who's already carried his team into the playoffs once as a 22 year old. Not too shabby.

A bit OT: What the hell are the caps doing... that's what 3 years in a row they've changed goalies? Varlamov to Neuvirth to Holtby.. It's getting ridiculous to the point where I wouldn't in the least bit be surprised if they dealt Holtby next year and said "Grubauer is our future in net" Before flipping him 2 years after that.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I don't disagree with any of this except I think we benefit from having Klesla as much as Washington did from getting rid of him. Washington needed wiggle room, especially with Kuznetsov possibly joining very soon depending on how his team does. We got a guy who not only replaces McNabb for the Amerks, but improves upon him. If we have an injury to our defensemen we can choose to leave the kids on the farm and call him up, or we can call one of them up and leave him there. Either way, Rochester stays loaded for a legitimate run.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
If we assume Halak was going to walk anyway (which is probably safe) he flipped a 3rd for a 25 year old goaltender who's already carried his team into the playoffs once as a 22 year old. Not too shabby.

A bit OT: What the hell are the caps doing... that's what 3 years in a row they've changed goalies? Varlamov to Neuvirth to Holtby.. It's getting ridiculous to the point where I wouldn't in the least bit be surprised if they dealt Holtby next year and said "Grubauer is our future in net" Before flipping him 2 years after that.

It's obvious, the Caps are trying to coax Kolzig out of retirement.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
Sorry everyone, I have trolled this forum for a couple years rarely saying anything. With this I have to speak up.

I've lived in the DC area for the last 15 years. My opinion is that Neurvirth was forced into NHL action way to early and never had time to develop his skills in the AHL. I do not believe that "giving him love" will make him a true NHL goalie, let alone a goalie that can backstop a Stanley Cup run. He is a stop gap backup for Enroth who will see limited service, unless Enroth craps the bed under pressure.

With that said, this is one of my biggest concerns. We have just traded probably the best goalie this team will see in many, many years. Look at the Caps for example. Several years ago they had, IMO, a Stanley Cup contending team. Unfortunately they put all their eggs in the basket of Holtby and Neurvirth who completely melted down when they were needed the most. THIS is exactly what I see happening with the Sabres. Finding great/elite forwards/defense are better than finding a great/elite goalie. Miller was a diamond in the rough. No one thought he would turn into an elite goalie when he was drafted 138th in '99. Lightning struck twice with the Sabres and I don't see it happening again for many years to come.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't disagree with any of this except I think we benefit from having Klesla as much as Washington did from getting rid of him. Washington needed wiggle room, especially with Kuznetsov possibly joining very soon depending on how his team does. We got a guy who not only replaces McNabb for the Amerks, but improves upon him. If we have an injury to our defensemen we can choose to leave the kids on the farm and call him up, or we can call one of them up and leave him there. Either way, Rochester stays loaded for a legitimate run.

Yeah. I see value in the trade because we got Neuvirth but also because we improved the Amerks for a run, as you described. Looking at the development side of things, a Calder Cup could be a huge positive.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Sorry everyone, I have trolled this forum for a couple years rarely saying anything. With this I have to speak up.

I've lived in the DC area for the last 15 years. My opinion is that Neurvirth was forced into NHL action way to early and never had time to develop his skills in the AHL. I do not believe that "giving him love" will make him a true NHL goalie, let alone a goalie that can backstop a Stanley Cup run. He is a stop gap backup for Enroth who will see limited service, unless Enroth craps the bed under pressure.

With that said, this is one of my biggest concerns. We have just traded probably the best goalie this team will see in many, many years. Look at the Caps for example. Several years ago they had, IMO, a Stanley Cup contending team. Unfortunately they put all their eggs in the basket of Holtby and Neurvirth who completely melted down when they were needed the most. THIS is exactly what I see happening with the Sabres. Finding great/elite forwards/defense are better than finding a great/elite goalie. Miller was a diamond in the rough. No one thought he would turn into an elite goalie when he was drafted 138th in '99. Lightning struck twice with the Sabres and I don't see it happening again for many years to come.

Not really sure what you're arguing. Are you saying we shouldn't have traded Miller? Because if so I would have to disagree. By the time we are a completive top playoff team he will be at least 37

Last edited:

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK

Miller wanted out, he deserved a chance to win a cup and that wasn't going to come with us. Having a cup winning goalie isn't an issue for us, you have to remember that. We have 44 points so I don't think anyone is saying 'will Neuvirth be lifting a cup in blue and gold'. Make the playoffs next year? great, that's the highest hope we have.

SiDC1

Dec 3, 2011
Northern Va
Not really sure what you're arguing. Are you saying we should't have traded Miller? Because if so I would have to disagree. By the time we are a completive top playoff team he will be hat least 37

No, not at all. Darcy backed the Sabres into that corner a while ago. We had too get rid of Miller and got a decent return IMO. I am just saying that people need to accept the fact that the chances of seeing a Miller like goalie in a Sabres sweater is not going to happen. At least not for a long, long time.

My main point of the post is to express my opinion of the trade for Neuvirth and the lip service Murray gave during his presser. The whole "give him some love" was complete lip service. He knows that Neuvirth is an average, at best, backup to Enroth. People who think he will get better will only be disappointed

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
No, not at all. Darcy backed the Sabres into that corner a while ago. We had too get rid of Miller and got a decent return IMO. I am just saying that people need to accept the fact that the chances of seeing a Miller like goalie in a Sabres sweater is not going to happen. At least not for a long, long time.

My main point of the post is to express my opinion of the trade for Neuvirth and the lip service Murray gave during his presser. The whole "give him some love" was complete lip service. He knows that Neuvirth is an average, at best, backup to Enroth. People who think he will get better will only be disappointed

The thing is, Washington simply failed to get a good enough goalie. That doesn't mean we can't, it was a combination of bad evaluation and bad priorities by the Caps. Murray just has to make sure that if the goalies in our system don't pan out, that he'll do what it takes to acquire someone. It's really not as hard as it seems to acquire a good young goalie. Look at players like Subban and Fucale, they're on teams with very good goalies locked into contracts that basically ensure they remain where they are for a while. Their teams will end up trading them in a few years and not get much out of the bargain. Those are just two examples.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

I want to put my eggs in Linus' basket :laugh:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Maybe look at it this way, Murray got a potential starting goalie for a guy who wasn't sticking around and meant nothing to the team. I mean I really could care less he gave up a 3rd. I think it shows that he values Neuvrith and that the Caps obviously do too. If he develops into a good starter than this trade was a steal. If not whatever he took a chance.

I get to see a lot of Neuvirth and I don't think he's destined to be an NHL starter. He won't steal you games, but he'll seldom lose them for you. Just a very technically solid and efficient goalie, a perfect backup for a true #1, really.

I'm fine with he and Enroth holding the fort next year, and since both are UFA after that. Ultimately I think Neuvirth was targeted at least be the placeholder for the ultimate arrival of (currently) Ullmark or Petersen who could revert to a 1B or backup role if need be.

Judging how much better Enroth has been as a full-time starter during Miller's injury stints than he has been as a spot starter, placing Neuvirth in the organization positions him as the B goalie going forward in the event Enroth does not pan out as the 1A. Of the two, Neuvirth is far better suited for that role.

About the trade, thinking that the 3th rounder was a bit too much, but I think you must pay something to have a longer term contract back. And it seems Murray doesn't give too much value to even mid-round picks in the upcoming draft.

The trouble I have is it's a 2015 3rd in what is supposedly a loaded draft. Murray's disdain for the depth of 2014 is no secret, so that was surprising that he moved a 2015, a year where our main goal as a franchise is to be picking 61st overall with that selection. Plus, we're spoiled by seeing our most recent 3rd flourish.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad